Harmonic Encoder Improvements? (Feedback Need it)

Now on ESPN HD at this moment I can see streaking of the floor with motion on VOOM that Dish doesn't have. Horizontal and grey.

daveoo

more streaking and flickering on all parts of the picture now. VOOM ESPN HD. Thru XBR 960.

daveoo said:
more streaking and flickering on all parts of the picture now. VOOM ESPN HD. Thru XBR 960.

That's strange, I'm not seeing that. Let me go look again...

I guess I don't know what to look for. I'm watching Duke/NC State on ESPN HD and I'm not seeing this "streaking" that's being reported. 65" Mits WS-65613.

I *do* think that the picture isn't quite as crisp as I've seen it in the past though.

I was watching Master and Commander on HBOHD2 and it basically was unwatchable in high action sequences. Pixelation and splotching was terrible.

The Voom originals seem to be better than earlier today. The SD channels still are not good.

Has anyone considered that the spring solstice is only nine days away and you normally expect interference two weeks each side of March 21st? :)

Monster 13 Ghost was breaking up pretty bad all the way through. Lots of studders and even maybe a half or a full second of lost picture and sound at a time. I am assuming, I hope, that it was from adjusting the encoders.

ptech: please explain

ptech said:
Has anyone considered that the spring solstice is only nine days away and you normally expect interference two weeks each side of March 21st? :)

Huh??

My post from yesterday on ESPN HD VOOM with streaking was viewed on XBR 960. Has nice resolution. The streaks were like taking a pencil and moving back and forth horizontally and creating a shading effect. Seen on floor with motion and some on other shots.

daveoo

Last night I watched Pet Semetary and Body Parts on MonstersHD. In Pet Semetary, the compression results could be seen in high contrast scenes: In the cemetary, you could see the crosses moving against the background. This is due to overcompression and is what drove me from watching Dish SD programming. The picture was nice and I did not see any pixelation but there was softness on movement.

During Body Parts, I did not see any overcompression scenes like Pet Semetary but there was the softness on movement. With this movie, they are close, but no cigar.

I also watched a bit of RaveHD during Montreux 2002 and there was pixelation and sound dropouts.

SmiGump said:

Each spring and fall as the Sun passes over the equator it causes moderate to severe interference or disruption to all Satellite signals. Most of the time it is just a really bad snowy picture but were dealing with HD signals here. OTA users know with digital signals, either you have them or you don't. So if there is the slightest interference I believe you will see the problems everyone is complaining of. Remember, I'm only offering my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right. The only problem I ever see with my system is TNTHD freezing up and that's a daily thing. :)

DarrellP said:
Last night I watched Pet Semetary and Body Parts on MonstersHD. In Pet Semetary, the compression results could be seen in high contrast scenes: In the cemetary, you could see the crosses moving against the background. This is due to overcompression and is what drove me from watching Dish SD programming. The picture was nice and I did not see any pixelation but there was softness on movement.

During Body Parts, I did not see any overcompression scenes like Pet Semetary but there was the softness on movement. With this movie, they are close, but no cigar.

I also watched a bit of RaveHD during Montreux 2002 and there was pixelation and sound dropouts.

And the Skeeter noise was back in full glory on Equator and Discovery HD last night. I tried to watch Smart Travels and gave up. Looked horrible.

I watched about 30 seconds of Eye Over Somewhere last night and the skeeters were terrible, not as bad as before but bad enough to not want to watch it. What's the problem with EquatorHD? Are they trying to skimp on bandwidth or what?

IMHO, they should allocate as much bandwidth as possible to make the HD channels look pristine, then worry about the SD channels. HD is why I have Voom, the SD is secondary and rarely watched.

"ptech", the sun passing over the equator does not...

ptech said:
Each spring and fall as the Sun passes over the equator it causes moderate to severe interference or disruption to all Satellite signals. Most of the time it is just a really bad snowy picture but were dealing with HD signals here. OTA users know with digital signals, either you have them or you don't. So if there is the slightest interference I believe you will see the problems everyone is complaining of. Remember, I'm only offering my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right. The only problem I ever see with my system is TNTHD freezing up and that's a daily thing. :)

affect signal quality. There are many ways radiation from the sun can cause interference such as increased sunspot activity on an 11 year cycle but passing over the equator isn't one of them.

Still enjoying HDTV under very sunny Seattle skies, Gill

Watching ESPN HD (301) today (first time since Harmonic Encoders went online). I do not see the motion artifacts and the Picture Quality looks quite good but I do see artifacts when the Video frame to Video frame cuts. I do not know if there were motion artifacts on this channel before but it is the only problem I see on ESPN HD. The artifacts as the video frame cuts to a new one.

Sean Mota said:
Watching ESPN HD (301) today (first time since Harmonic Encoders went online). I do not see the motion artifacts and the Picture Quality looks quite good but I do see artifacts when the Video frame to Video frame cuts. I do not know if there were motion artifacts on this channel before but it is the only problem I see on ESPN HD. The artifacts as the video frame cuts to a new one.

ESPN HD looks the best and has the least amount of problems.

RAVE HD has some video and audio cut out problems. Ya get these little streams sometimes and the audio cuts out about 10 times an hour.

Monsters is so splotchy during action it's not even funny.

The HD premium movies channels also splotch out really bad.

SD, well SD just sucks.

My biggest complaint is the washing out/splotching during lots of motion.

Two minutes ago VOOM ESPN HD looking pretty good. Motion over the floor softens the floor and imparts a dirty/grainy look. No pixel breakup or streaks. XBR960 with component conn and DVE calibration.

daveoo

I should also mention that Dish ESPN HD also had just a bit of the above mentioned motion floor artifact. Slight softening and dirty film. Like a window that needs cleaning. My viewing distance from the 34XBR960 is 6 feet.

daveoo

SeattleVoomer1 said:
affect signal quality. There are many ways radiation from the sun can cause interference such as increased sunspot activity on an 11 year cycle but passing over the equator isn't one of them.

Still enjoying HDTV under very sunny Seattle skies, Gill

Really, don't know where you get your info but I've been in the business for twenty years and occasionally you will even see messages from Satellite providers to stop the flood of tech support calls. Remember where our satellites reside and rethink your answer. I'll send some of my Florida sunshine to your cloudy skies. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts