Harmony Remote Question

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
Let's say I fired up my system from cold start to watch TV and I decide I want to watch a movie.

Is there way to switch activities without the amp and the tv going off?

As things stand, I either dig out the remotes for everything else or if I use the 880, I have to turn everything off and turn it all make on on Watch DVD.

Depending upon how you have it programmed with mine I would hit the DVD button and it would switch the TV inputs to DVD, turn the audio to DVD and power up the DVD player. No powering off of anything.

A friend of mine just got the Harmony 1000 and was showing me how it works. Looks pretty neat. It gives you a lot of flexibility in how you can set it up to your personal preferences. And, it's all downloaded and uploaded from the logitech site to your computer via usb.

I have 3 harmony remotes, none of mine do that and I don't know how you got yours to do what you are saying Jamey. I suppose if I dig into the preferences I might see how you got there, but I don't think the software defaults to what you are seeing.

For my 880: Look at the top of the remote. There is a silver button. To the left of that is the activities button.

When I've been watching, say, satellite programming and want to shift to watching a Blu-ray disc, I hit this activities button. It then presents me with the original menu I set up- how the remote looks before you've turned anything on. I can then just press the DVD/BD button (which I set up). The remote "knows" the TV is on, so it just changes the settings on the receiver, etc.

This is good, because I have an RPTV with a bulb cool-down cycle, so I don't want to have the TV turned off and then on again.

Works very well.

Ok, let's see if I can be clearer. My activities are Watch TV, Watch Blu-ray, Watch HD-DVD, and Radio.

When I get home from work, all of the componets are off. I push"Watch TV" and the TV comes on, the Direct receiver comes on, and the amp comes on. All things I need to "Watch TV'.

If I decided to "Watch Blu-ray" and push that activity, it will turn on the BR player, but it will turn OFF the TV and the amp.

It's sending a start-up signal to everything again. It assumes I'm beginning from a cold start.

I want to correct that. I don't want things turning off, when they are already on.

Does that make sense?

Seems like you need to hook it back up and reprogram. It should not do what it is doing. Nex time hit the help button. Usually that resets the order on the next try/ If not update your SW and firmware.

Jamey K,
Sounds like your "Watch Blu-ray" activity is not properly setup. Does it have TV device included in it?

Jamey K,
Sounds like your "Watch Blu-ray" activity is not properly setup. Does it have TV device included in it?

Yes. All my activities expect "Radio" have have TV in it.

I"m going back and re-programing.

First of all, review the list of your devices. Make sure that there is only one entry for your TV set and only one entry for your amp.

Then re-run the configuration wizard for each activity. Make sure you understand and answer all questions correctly.

When everything is properly configured, Harmony does not turn off the power when switching between activities. It remembers the state of each device and knows that your TV set and your amp are already on.

It's been a couple months since I set up anything on my remote, but doesn't it ask as you set up each activity if you want to keep other devices on? So for example, if you're setting up "Watch Blu-Ray" doesn't it ask if you want to keep the TV and Receiver devices on?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly...

Damn....another hiccup!

When using the 880 on my Direct HR20, the Pause button is not working correctly. After several attemps learning the command, both system and raw, the "Pause" button won't ...pause for longer than a half-second. Of course it works fine on the D* remote. I think I tried 8 or 9 times now.

Any ideas?

TX

The Harmony one is very nice, better than the 880.The buttons are raised and easier to find without looking.The touch display on top is bright and clear.No rf though!

The Harmony one is very nice, better than the 880.The buttons are raised and easier to find without looking.The touch display on top is bright and clear.No rf though!

Tahnks. I am in the minority here in that I do not care for the 880 as a DVR remote. I may check out the harmony One.

Ok, this is new.

I have an HDMI switch and it's not switching to the correct imput when I select one particular activity. I have run through the set up....devices. It will move from one imput to another on all activities but one.

Any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts