Harmony SST-688 and VOOM

Sean, I have the 659 and love it! I will look at the 688 when the VoOM DVR arrives.

I got my 659 for only $100.00 via a CES promotion.

I do find I change batteries more often than I like as the remote never goes "off".

Let us know more abour the 688 and VoOm.

I had the 659 but I returned it because it came defective. I decided to upgrade to the 688.

I had setup my 659 before so setting the 688 was a piece of cake. The harmony website kept my configuration and changed the model to 688 without a problem. So all my Voom previous configuration worked with the 688. No sweat.

I also have the 6000u from Echostar and found this to be more difficult as the remote did not respond to either manufacturer selected (Echostar or DishNetwork) for this model. If anyone knows how it make it work, let me know. I ended up teaching the 6000 controls to the harmony. That worked perfectly. Now I have HDnet as my default channel on the 6000u and with one button I can change from VOOM to HDnet (wow!). It used to take three different remote controls to do this. Going back to VOOM, only takes one more button. Now I need to setup my DVD and 721.

So, how do you compare the two? Buttons, convenience, etc.
I love my H688, but I wish the buttons were bigger...

I've got the 659 and really like it. I'll probably switch to the 688 when the DVR gets here b/c the FFW REW etc are better placed. But the 688 worries me b/c the buttons are small and very close together.

I have the 688 you will need to set up the "e" button for enter, especially useful when using the voom menus for installation/picture etc. Pressing the ok button does not work in those menus. Also I set up all my surround modes on the sound button. This is the first remote Ive had that is a total replacement for all others.

Ilya said:
So, how do you compare the two? Buttons, convenience, etc.
I love my H688, but I wish the buttons were bigger...

The 688 has the PVR buttons which is very convenient. It also has the Page down and Page up. Btw, I had to add this to the VOOM configuration. It was not active from the beginning. My yellow and green buttons are working. My yellow is assigned to "+" key and green is assigned to "E" key. As you pointed out the buttons are smal and I regret not having that but I can deal with that.

dtsfanohio said:
I thought this was interesting: :

http://www.harmonyremote.com/

So now Logitech owns my bluetooth mouse and keyboard, my wireless XBOX controller, and my remote control. If it ain't got wires, its Logitech I guess. Good company, but they better not make us pay for using the site.

Sean Mota said:
It also has the Page down and Page up. Btw, I had to add this to the VOOM configuration. It was not active from the beginning.
This is probably the result of your conversion from 659. If you start from scratch, Page Up/Down are mapped for 688.

I set up my DVD recorder but again I am having problems with the Dish 721 PVR. It is not recognizing it. There's got to be something about these dish receivers.

Ilya, that's probably true.

I hate to bring an ancient thread back from the dead, but I got a Harmony 688 over Xmas, but after setting it up I have to give this product a RAVE review. It is fantastic, allowing me to reduce six remotes (TV, Receiver, VCR, TiVo, DVD, and Voom) all down to one!

There were a few configuration issues at the beginning (changing the input mode for the TV, etc.), but the online set-up is so unbelievably customizable, I feel confident that this device will (hopefully!) remain future-proof. I do hope that Logitech will get the Voom DVR codes promptly, whenever that might be...

I don't know how I'd really feel spending the $ for full-price, but it did make a great gift!

Oh... and the Wife Approval Factor is very high. She can now flip back and forth between Voom and TiVo with ease.

CDH.

Sean,

Make sure you download the newest firmware for your remote. It will help with battery life. I suggest that you buy rechargable batteries for this remote.

Harmony

Have the 659 remote after upgrading from the 748 (think that was the model) due to not having the number keys. Awesome support when it was in "Harmony's hands & these guys were very helpful in tweaking the remote in setting time delays and etc. When Logitech took over it is still good support but in my opinion not as efficent as before. You would have to rip the 659 from my cold dead hands before I would let it go. For $99 a refurbished model was worth 10 times as much. Mines set up to "Watch Voom" - DVD player -Comcast - Listen radio (tunner) - Cd - tape - and already set if I go back to DTV if needed. Did have problem with eating batteries but when told support about it they did something to correct the situation. At this point it would be a waste to upgrade to a 688 but in my opinion Harmony remotes are tops. It also handles my DVI switch. Handles Voom box, Yahmaha receiver, Cable box, Momitsu DVD player, Hughes 86 - Sony VCR - Sony CD - Sony tape - DVI switch - Panasonic 50lc13 TV- and am really impressed with the throw distance it has to my system. Not all remotes throw a stong signal 20 feet away. Negative side is a small window for viewing and for someone with bad eyes (old & worn out) it's not the best. Maybe I got Seans old 659. Hehehehe

Since you guys dug up this old thread, I am going to take advantage.
I cannot find a remote that handles my Pioneer 310-s DVD recorder.
The universal remotes I have work fine for everything from Voom,cable, CD,VCR, audio and even DVD player. I can't find a universal for the DVD recorder.
Any suggestions?

Kentstater72

Why don't you "Take a test drive" at Harmonys site and see if they have stats on it. They did not have my DVI switch in their system but got it set after a little configuring. This was done over the phone on their toll free # but their site does have a test drive I believe to put in your components to see if it's a go.

I got a 680 on the 24th. I love it! I like it better than the 688 because the buttons are placed better for a PVR than the 688 and it also has a few more marked buttons for it too.. I have a Moto 6412 with comcast too. :)

Voom was mapped just fine on the remote. I haven't had it long enough to know how long the batteries are going to last yet. The only thing wrong with it so far is that I find myself reaching for another remote to change inputes on my TV or turn the strereo on or use the PVR. :) Oh, I guess that would be something wrong with me.:)

I got a 680 on the 24th. I love it! I like it better than the 688 because the buttons are placed better for a PVR than the 688 and it also has a few more marked buttons for it too. I have a Moto 6412 with comcast too.

Voom was mapped just fine on the remote. I haven't had it long enough to know how long the batteries are going to last yet. The only thing wrong with it so far is that I find myself reaching for another remote to change inputes on my TV or turn the stereo on or use the PVR. Oh, I guess that would be something wrong with me.

In my original 688 I had to replace the batteries every 2 weeks. I ended up exchanging it for another 688. Didn't help much. Then they came out with an updated firmware and it fixed the problem. It's been more than three months since I replaced the batteries. H688 is a great remote!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts