VOom and the Harmony Remote SST-659 ?

dtsfanohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with the Harmony 659 and Voom? Good, BAd or indifferent ? I noticed Harmony had it as a choice on their website.
I love my Harmony! (my wife loves it even better...)

Yup I use mine with VOOM and it works great. :) I prefer to use this remote with VOOM then the origional VOOM remote.

Scott, Thanks... Now I feel better! I figured it would be ok. There is nothing like a Harmony !

dtsfanohio said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Harmony 659 and Voom? Good, BAd or indifferent ? I noticed Harmony had it as a choice on their website.
I love my Harmony! (my wife loves it even better...)
Works great with my Harmony 688. I had to rename and re-map a couple of buttons for convenience, but other than that no problems with VOOM! See my comments here.

Sean/Ilya/Scott--

What are you guys doing for the colored Voom buttons on the 659?

Ilya, maybe you can provide some detail on the remaps you had to do.

Took me a few trys to get the input select working right for my Mitsu RPTV. Only used it a little tonight. It's got some cool factor but I don't like the 659 as a replacement for the remote to my Dish PVR501.

Color buttons can be found by pressing the 'Device' button on the Harmony. Then select 'Satellite', then press 'Next' and look in the display window on the remote until the color choices appear.

or you can map the color buttons to unused buttons in the remote. I mapped the FAV to the "menu". The yellow button the "+*" button; the green button to the "enter" button. The "page up" to ">>" button the "pagedown" to "<<".

I had two basic problems. When I tried to setup my "6000" dish receiver. It gave me two choices for manufacturer -- Dish Network or Echostar. I chose Dish Network and I thought it was going to work but it did not recognize the device. I tried to use the help endlessly to turn on/off the 6000 but it did not work. I have to see whether Echostar as a manufacturer will work.

The other problem was that the "glow" button for some reason does not work this morning. I do not know whether I changed something in the configuration last night but I have to investigate further why it does not work.

The remote is very dark (I got the black) and in a not well iluminated room (like mine), you need the glow feature to see the keys. My VOOM remote (because of the color contrast and the big buttons) you can see easily. The harmony's button dimension and the all black color makes it difficult to see the button in a not well iluminated environment.

I still have not decided whether I want to keep it and try the latest model. I was reading about the 688 but it only mentions the big difference to be more support for TIVO (which I do not have). Ilya, is there more to the 688 than Tivo support?

I will try to post the configuration later today.

Harmony H688 vs. H659

Sean Mota said:
I still have not decided whether I want to keep it and try the latest model. I was reading about the 688 but it only mentions the big difference to be more support for TIVO (which I do not have). Ilya, is there more to the 688 than Tivo support?
First of all, Tivo (read: VOOM DVR!) support will be important for us later this year. This was my main reason for choosing the 688. I don't have 659 to compare with, but based on what I've heard from others here are the main factors:

Benefits of H688:
1. More buttons for navigation, e.g. Page Up/Down and Skip Left/Right buttons (important for PG and especially important for any DVR).
2. Much better location of transport buttons (very important for DVR and/or VCR).
3. More dedicated Activity buttons (4 vs. 3).
4. Rubber buttons (most people prefer the rubber feel).
5. Brighter back-light.
6. Slightly bigger LCD display.
7. (Arguably) more stylish design - this is a matter of taste, though.

Benefits of H659:
1. Bigger and better separated buttons (easier to find in the dark)
2. (Arguably) better location of certain buttons - this is a matter of preference, though.
3. Price

MNHTUG said:
What are you guys doing for the colored Voom buttons on the 659?
Ilya, maybe you can provide some detail on the remaps you had to do.
Since H688 has Page Up/Down I didn't have to remap those. And since I don't have a DVR yet, I used some of the transport buttons (in Watch TV Activity) for some of the color buttons: It was nice to be able to map Red button to Red (record) button. :) I used chapter skip buttons for some other colors. Like Sean, I used unassigned "Menu" button for favorites. In addition, I added some of these buttons (VOOM, FAV, etc.) to the custom list, so they would appear on the LCD display too.

I am still playing with it and moving things around. I'll post my final map, once it settles.

Sean Mota said:
The other problem was that the "glow" button for some reason does not work this morning.
Sean, from what I read about 659, there was a problem in some 659 with the backlight. If I remember correctly, it requires soldering... or replacement. Search AVSForum and RemoteCentral and you will find further info on this problem (here is one link for you). This could give you a good excuse to upgrade to H688, if you decide to do so. ;)

Of course it is also possible that the batteries are weak or you have disabled the backlight in the settings.

Ilya, you convinced me I am returning the 659 and I am upgrading to the 688. Got it for $179. I did not like the stuff about the backlight not working plus the added functionality is a plus :)

Sean--

Please let us know if the 688 is worth the extra $60 over the 659.

The 659 is working out nicely now. Still have some customization to do before it's perfect. Have not picked up any one of the four remotes we were using prior.

659 is much much nicer than the Pronto we use in our theater. Having buttons is so so nice.

Sean Mota said:
Ilya, you convinced me I am returning the 659 and I am upgrading to the 688. Got it for $179. I did not like the stuff about the backlight not working plus the added functionality is a plus :)

i have used the 659 for awhile and love it,i was first to tell people about it, i think the backlight issue i have read about and harmony had stated it was EARLY production models and had been repaired i have had no trouble

Sean Mota said:
Ilya, you convinced me I am returning the 659 and I am upgrading to the 688.
Sean, I wasn't really trying to convince anyone. Just stating facts and explaining my own thoughts. Someone who had both remotes would be in better position to compare them. I think both remotes are very good, but neither one is perfect. The choice is not so obvious. It all comes down to personal preferences. I love my H688, but I really wish it had bigger buttons...

As for your backlight problem, call Harmony. They have a great technical support. They should be able to help you with that.

A general advice for everyone: shop around! Harmony has many resellers. You might be able to find a good price, even among authorized resellers.

sean: could be just a faulty remote, they will exchange it but i cannot swear to anything anymore about faulty equipment :)

Thanks guys. I called and they were willing to replace it without cost. I just went with the 688 since it has the page up/down buttons. It will be easier with my 721 now and for any future DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts