PQ has improved it seems or did it?

TheHammer69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I'm hoping it's not a Placebo effect, but I swear, the PQ on the 1080i channels seems to have come back up. The sharp, focused, 3-dimensional effect on my Plasma screen now seems to be back. I did catch a tiny bit of Pixelation on HBO for a tiny second but other than that, I really think things have improved. Hopefully it is truly fixed.

Hammer

some things noticed today (PQ, Audio)...

Alrigt I have only been home for about an hour, read Wilt's comments about trying to get this picture resolved, and turned on VOOM. First let me say I think VOOM is lucky to have someone like Wilt. IMO, Wilt has taken some abuse from some of us lately, and has still stuck around to help us feel more secure with our purchases with VOOM. He honestly doesn't have to do that, and I commend him for doing so. No other company has anyone that does anything remotely like what Wilt does. He is a great value to us all, and we should remember to treat the guy with respect when addressing him over at Yahoo. Let's try to remember that. I would hate for him to just stop replying to all of our concerns about VOOM, (I'm sure many of you feel the same way). Now on to a little bit of what I see, and a little bit of what I don't see. Let me add here that I understand everything isn't going to get fixed in a day, so I am not expecting miracles folks. Well as far as PQ, I am still seeing a little softer picture with HBOHD, and DiscoveryHD with VOOM, when compared to D*'s feed. And there is a strange audio stutter on 242, (Showtime HD west). BUT, I have to to say it seems they fixed something which has annoyed me to no end! The micro stutters that were there every minute or so, are no longer there!!!! :D This is a HUGE improvement for me. Now if they can just get that picture a little sharper. Note that I have not yet really seen any major artifacts in the channels I have been flipping thru, but I will report back later about artifacts and pixelation. I will spend more time tonight evaluating the pq. That said I am very pleased and happy with VOOM for getting rid of those pesky micro stutters! At least I'm not seeing them yet, and hoping never to see them again! It's only been about 45 minutes of viewing, but I've never gone that long without those little stutters! *knock on wood* :D

A fix for the stuttering would be great. I noticed it every once in a while while watching Voom channels over the last week that I have had the service.

TheHammer69 said:
I'm hoping it's not a Placebo effect, but I swear, the PQ on the 1080i channels seems to have come back up. The sharp, focused, 3-dimensional effect on my Plasma screen now seems to be back. I did catch a tiny bit of Pixelation on HBO for a tiny second but other than that, I really think things have improved. Hopefully it is truly fixed.

Hammer

I am going to reserve some judgement on the PQ until I have a chance to really evaluate it. I want to see some action movies on some West HD channels. But I do notice audio stutter on showtime hd west. Anyone else? I am happy that I no longer see micro stutters though. :)

vurbano said:
Voom is off the air?

No it still here. Ok I have merged the two threads and wouldd like everyone to keep your commentaries here. Just looked briefly and saw a lot of difference from before. Sharper image more 3-D like. I need to evaluate more but this is a definite improvement.

Definate improvement..more vibrant colors-3-d like still some problems but it's a great start..This shows how these forums and management can work off each other and problem solve,brain storm, get instant feedback, see what customer base wants etc..thanks wilt and all the other techs and just think what a great time we live in(vs send snail mail to nbc 1 rockefeller ctr etc etc)!

Sean Mota said:
No it still here. Ok I have merged the two threads and wouldd like everyone to keep your commentaries here. Just looked briefly and saw a lot of difference from before. Sharper image more 3-D like. I need to evaluate more but this is a definite improvement.

we need to evaluate some fast moving material! Because, after all that's where things got ugly before. I wish Britney was gonna be back on Showtime HD west tonight, (UGH I can't believe I''m saying that!) Anyways Sean are your micro stutters gone too?

GeneWildershair said:
But I do notice audio stutter on showtime hd west. Anyone else?

Watching ST HD W (Novacaine) here in Buffalo with significant rain and Sat Signal at 89. No pixelation, no audio stutters and a very crisp picture. :yes

rang1995 said:
Definate improvement..more vibrant colors-3-d like still some problems but it's a great start..This shows how these forums and management can work off each other and problem solve,brain storm, get instant feedback, see what customer base wants etc..thanks wilt and all the other techs and just think what a great time we live in(vs send snail mail to nbc 1 rockefeller ctr etc etc)!

definitely Rang!

GeneWildershair said:
we need to evaluate some fast moving material! Because, after all that's where things got ugly before. I wish Britney was gonna be back on Showtime HD west tonight, (UGH I can't believe I''m saying that!) Anyways Sean are your micro stutters gone too?

Can't tell you yet. Just finished having dinner and I have been watching Cinema 9 "The Great Bank Robbery" without problems so far. Need to watch for much longer to make a better opinion.

Mr. Biggles said:
Watching ST HD W (Novacaine) here in Buffalo with significant rain and Sat Signal at 89. No pixelation, no audio stutters and a very crisp picture. :yes

the picture looks fine, but I'm getting stuttering audio on that one channel for some reason. I'm afraid to do a reboot, for fear of getting micro stutters back...lol, I know that sounds silly, but damn I hated those!

Sean Mota said:
Can't tell you yet. Just finished having dinner and I have been watching Cinema 9 "The Great Bank Robbery" without problems so far. Need to watch for much longer to make a better opinion.

well I used to notice them instantly when I turned the STB on, and watched any channel. I hope they are gone for you too Sean.

The key for me will be improvements to DHDT. I'll check out primetime tonight before I make my judgements. This channel is supposed to be every HDTV owners "hey look at this" channel, and it has been my most annoying PQ problem.

GeneWildershair said:
but I'm getting stuttering audio on that one channel for some reason.

Maybe my imagination, but since I changed audio to 'no compression' it seems better with re: to audio drop-outs.

GeneWildershair said:
well I used to notice them instantly when I turned the STB on, and watched any channel. I hope they are gone for you too Sean.

Just watched fast action on running horses and so on... No micro stutters not even a stutter so far or pixelation. Last night it was very obvious to see today is not there at least on Cinema 9. Picture is more vibrant than last night.

Would love to know from wilt or someone what it was,or is that was worked on..i still say on sunday i posted it's eater weekend give it a few days before jumping ship..well in 2 days looks like a steady course -bravo voom (for now ) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts