Did Voom get what it deserved?

alton987

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Just my two cents...

I was an early Voom adopter and then canceled service within 3 months. Even though I haven't had Voom for almost a year I still come back to this forum to check up on the service everyday. I always hoped that Voom would fix some issues so I could go back and but my HDTV back to work. But being honest, did Voom get what it deserved? They launched with bad equipment and even worse customers service (Personally Verify Both). Also they really seemed to put out inaccurate expectations on their website about local Digital Station and availability. The sad thing is that it seems just as Voom started to get things turned around it goes down. ?

So I have two questions for you Voomers out their?

1) What could Voom of done different to not get sold and be successful?

2) Did Voom mislead everyone about when their DVR would be out or did Forums like this push an idea/timeframe that really wasn't their?

Back to watching my 10 HDTV channels on DirecTV sigh....
:(

unfortunately I think many people come from cable and expect to "plug it in and it works and I get locals". Satellite takes work getting the antenna right and realizing that local HD just isnt up there on sat yet. Its also sad about the aesthetic paranoia that cable has created making antenna installations unbearable to look at for many.

I do not think it was none of those reasons. The main reason was that you have investors in Cablevision who would like capital growth in their investment. This capital growth they do not want to invest in any risky business but send it back to themselves. That's too bad because I just read a report that there are two windows of opportunity in a decade for investing in risky business and 2005-2006 happens to be one of them (based on the economics of the country as a whole). Every company one way or another cannot satisfy investor and just give them growth on their investment ONLY. There is a time where the growth on the investment needs to be put into a risk business that could bring extra revenue in years to come. That's the basis of investment and profiting out of its fruits in years to come. However, that is not the understanding of these investors. They want their money now and let it sit in a conservative growth without risk.

This also brings problems down the road. Cablevision has basically three products that they create revenue -- Cable (as TV, digital or not), Optimum Online, and VOIP. Right now they are getting the fruits of Optimum Online and getting its money. Very soon it will be the fruits of VOIP. Cable is not something which makes them money. It is there as an incentive to go alone at discount prices with Optimum Online and VOIP. Fortunately for them, their Optimum Online business is excellent and has brought back a lot of those that defected to Satellite. I will assume that VOIP will do the same for them. However, remember that they will be a point at which their own products will be maxed out and there will be others who would bring other technologies to the table which will challenge their products. This, of course, is just an opinion.

You are undeniably correct Sean, but after seeing that reason for days now (really everyday since voom started) I was just focusing on reasons why we didnt have more subs.

Yeah.. I know. Everyone focus is why did VOOM not get/attract subs? True there were problems (even more than those outlined above) to which people did not have a tolerance and could not deal with VOOM. In my own opinion, people are not yet ready for VOOM as it is today. I would have liked to see if we could have seen VOOM after March 2005 (or some called it -- the re-launching). By this I mean the additional services (channels - HD/SD) with the DVR. Would the response have been differently? In my estimation, I honestly say yes. I do not want go into that any further because I may reveal things that I should not if ever they turn their fate around.

The problem with the burning of money was another thing that investors could not understand. Here's VOOM a new satellite company who primary service is HD. They have 21 channels of their own (all HD) to which they have to provide HD content. HD content which it's not found in the corner store and it's costly to produce. There were no sponsors in their quest to produce anything in HD that they did. They did not have any support from anyone to sign contracts for HD content for those channels. So where did these investors thought that the money was going to come from? Me and you, the subs. I HOPE THEY WERE NOT that naive to think that. I could have told them that myself with the little knowledge I have about financial risk. They really thought that VOOM was going to produce the necessary revenue in less than 2 years and be profitable.

I kind of agree with the statement "Voom was ahead of its time" because I truly believe they are or were (which every way you want to take it). Just imagine if DSL or Cable internet had come up in the beginning of dial up internet service. Will we have jumped to DSL/Cable internet in masses like we have seen the trend now? What about the internet? It has been around for a long time. I remember when I boought my first 286 pc (I think), I had already experimented with it.

All in all there was or is a not strong back up for HD right now because it burns cash fast. It looks like any HD sport event unless is not sponsored by some big company will not be HD. Again, just my opinion.

Voom didn't go down for any one single reason. It probably could have survived any one or two of the items mentioned. It was a combination of many factors. They launched before resolving enough of their issues. They went after a high-end, (currently) niche market too soon. They didn't have enough features to suit such a market. And to compete in such a high investment industry they needed to have a compelling reason to appeal to the masses and not just their niche.

Billing problems, install problems, receiver problems, pricing issues, no dvr, (initially) incomplete channel line-up, poor marketing/retail presence, limited package options, no ala carte or ppv, and obviously a poor business plan and not enough commitment from investors to be in it for the long run (probably due to being too aggressive in their projections which led to high expectations for a quick profit).

They also probably needed to have cutting edge interactive features ready well ahead of anyone else (features already available on satellite tv in other countries which probably won't be available here for years, athough D* will probably have the edge here. Are you listening Charlie E.?)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Voom and the direction it finally appeared to be heading. It just appears it was too little to late.

- jame

I got DSL as soon as it was available. It took me a while to start collecting DVDs as well as HD. I just started last year, but there are even earlier abdoters than me.

OMG I remember my first Pc the apple IIc with ProDOS. Then my XT and then the first computer I ever built a pentium 90.

Back on track:

This service was behind from the start wasnt it? Forced to start before they were ready or face losing licences? If only Dolan had known how expensive it would be to start before it was ready.

I dropped voom only because of their awful cs and huge billing errors, month after month (after month after month....)
Talking to their cs was like talking to a 3 year old child.
After I left, they got their act together, it looked like.
I was ready to jump back to voom in a snap, but not until that dvr was a reality.
Just too too bad for voom.
But I still see a huge advantage in all that HD programming, and hope E* does too. Heck, I'd go with E* to get vooms programming back! And maybe that dual tuner dvr too?
More twists ahead?

Sean Mota said:
I do not think it was none of those reasons. The main reason was that you have investors in Cablevision who would like capital growth in their investment. This capital growth they do not want to invest in any risky business but send it back to themselves. That's too bad because I just read a report that there are two windows of opportunity in a decade for investing in risky business and 2005-2006 happens to be one of them (based on the economics of the country as a whole). Every company one way or another cannot satisfy investor and just give them growth on their investment ONLY. There is a time where the growth on the investment needs to be put into a risk business that could bring extra revenue in years to come. That's the basis of investment and profiting out of its fruits in years to come. However, that is not the understanding of these investors. They want their money now and let it sit in a conservative growth without risk.

This also brings problems down the road. Cablevision has basically three products that they create revenue -- Cable (as TV, digital or not), Optimum Online, and VOIP. Right now they are getting the fruits of Optimum Online and getting its money. Very soon it will be the fruits of VOIP. Cable is not something which makes them money. It is there as an incentive to go alone at discount prices with Optimum Online and VOIP. Fortunately for them, their Optimum Online business is excellent and has brought back a lot of those that defected to Satellite. I will assume that VOIP will do the same for them. However, remember that they will be a point at which their own products will be maxed out and there will be others who would bring other technologies to the table which will challenge their products. This, of course, is just an opinion.
Well said.

It's nothing but shortsightened, retarded banker-like decision from a son who never put anything to the desk.

Now he did: the destruction of Dad's latest great gold asset. I hope his very proud now he was able to crush Dad's plan...

He even worked out this deal with Echostar in the background obviously - such big deals never happen overnight, 48 hours later... this whole story is sickening.

You left out a choice for all of the above. And another choice of "No self installs" would have been good too. Personally I voted for CSR/Billing errors. I just got my bill today and I was charged once again for 3 months of service. I'm glad Voom does not have my CC number.

I get all the Local HDTV stations I could want (even with the 'standard' antenna from 45 miles). I've never had any equipment issues or Customer Service/Billing problems. I would not have any interest in self-install, no matter what satellite service.

And last but not least, if I had a provider other than Voom, I probably still wouldn't have an HD DVR. I have Voom running through a stand-alone Tivo on an SD set, but there is no way I can afford to spend $1000 for HD Tivo. So while I was anxiously awaiting the DVR, I in no way held it against them.

Obviously I've read of the issues like everyone else, but I've never had ANY myself.

Respect to Charles Dolan

BTW I will REALLY MISS VOOM'S OWN HD CHANNELS, the CINEMAS!.
:(:(

If this was all, end of story, well...
well I still can't say anything else than :heart:waveTHANK YOU, MR DOLAN, THANK YOU CHARLES!
You showed us how a REAL HD lineup should look like, including CINEMA21s!

We saw the future, yes - THANK YOU AGAIN! :welcome:bow

PS: I still hope you'll make it out somehow finally... if I need to subscribe somewhere else, please, let me know, Charles - I need my weekend Fellini an Co and not in crappy DVD but in HD, just as YOU DID SHOW US! :cool:

Umm those channels are still broadcasting so hold the thanx until they go dark ;)

BFG said:
Umm those channels are still broadcasting so hold the thanx until they go dark ;)
Sure. And I love them... as much as I was not a big TV fan, I watched Voom a LOT! Of course, mostly their own content - it was much like an island, way different from the rest of the programming world and this escape to this island is very important for me. SOmetimes when I was doing something on my computer I kept my wireless headphone enabled, despite I had to turn back if I wnated to check what I just heard...

I was a latecomer to VOOM. To the extent that my install was scheduled to occur today. (Installs Inc. screwed up the date and now it is Feb 01).

I looked at VOOM from time to time since its inception. I do agree that they finally got it right (or would have in March) and that is why I signed up a couple of weeks ago. So, why not earlier:

1) Initially VOOM was a VERY expensive proposition as you had to purchase the hardware. Cost of entry for the consumer was much higher than competition. This was later fixed but probably too late.

2) SD Programming. Yes, that is right. VOOM came across as a service that you would have IN ADDITION to cable or another sat provider. Basic channels like HGTV were not there. The average consumer did not want the expense of two providers. Just as important, most people do not want the complexity of having to switch inputs or boxes to go from one set of programming to the other. This is what kept me away until the announcement of new channels in March.

3) Locals. This is a tough one. Delivering locals is not easy. Many people have no idea how good a digital OTA picture really is if you can get OTA. Perhaps VOOM should have offered a "Guaranteed Local Chanels". They would have promised that they will get you your locals or else reduce your bill by $10 a month so you can tie in basic cable. Still not perfect as some folks would not want an antenna on the roof. Still, could have been marketed better.

I would have been a sub a lot sooner if they hadnt have started with that ridiculous $800.00 reciever cost. No offense to thos who bought it but No Fu$kin way am I going to drop that kind of money on a satellite reciever no matter whether its E*, D* or V*. ANd then spend that cash on a service that might not make it? They should have started with a reasonable price.

Hi:
I didn't think the $800 cost was that unreasonable considering what was promised at the time - The only receiver that integrated HD OTA and 39 HD channels into one solution and a free or low-priced upgrade to the HD-DVR that was about to be released. All with free installation, free programming for two months, and a two year warranty.

But when the integrated OTA guide didn't include all of the channels received, the professional installer didn't want to bother with the OTA antenna, the number of HD channels never reached 39 and never included INHD (which was listed on the brochure), and the soon-to-be-released DVR is still soon-to-be-released 14 months later I began to question VOOM ability to run a business.

I have been working alot lately and really dont get the time in front of the tube that I would like. But...like always ...I watch VOOM and will continue to do so until it goes dark. Why has VOOM failed? Its a really good question that many people will have answers to. Here is my take on it. Voom never really got to the mainstream. VOOM is a technology that people just dont understand. Knowledge just wasnt there for the people to learn what HDTV is and what it could bring to you. Lack of local ch's is another big negative. Do you know how many times I was up on my roof to try and get OTA local ch's? Most "normal" people wont take the time like I did and like others in this forum have to secure the best OTA sig. One other reason is that VOOM did not get to Best BUY. Best Buy is the major retailer right now in electronics. Sales of HDTV's have risen to huge levels....and Best Buy is selling the majority of them. If Best Buy pushed VOOM you would have a huge amount of subs right now. But its not enough to just push VOOM...they would have to offer a deal that would knock people away from their current provider. I think that could have happened. When you go to the store to get your first HDTV ...you want to use it. Voom would be a great option. I know its probably difficult to do some of these things...but if you are a new service that is looking to gain customers , you have a contract with the current leader in electronics.

vurbano said:
I would have been a sub a lot sooner if they hadnt have started with that ridiculous $800.00 reciever cost. No offense to thos who bought it but No Fu$kin way am I going to drop that kind of money on a satellite reciever no matter whether its E*, D* or V*. ANd then spend that cash on a service that might not make it? They should have started with a reasonable price.

Huge point here. I was attracted to VOOM right from the start. I remember getting a flier in the mail about VOOM. I was thinking ...lets go!!! On the bottom of the flier came the price....$800!!! I put it down and forgot about VOOM until I heard about the free install deal. The free deal should have been the deal that they started with. They would have had alot more time to gain subs....I dont know if it would have made the difference, but the 800 D deal didnt work and it was a bad start.