Has any Dish Cust. convinced a local Time Warner to provide an HD ONLY Package ?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I'm a dish customer and generally happy with SD channels. I've seen my lcoal Raleigh Time Warner digital channels and find the SD channels are much lower quality than Dish, however the HD channels are very nice indeed.

Has anyone convinced a local Time Warner Cable outfit to provide Digital HD service only without all the extra channels? I want to keep Satellite for SD and use Time Warner for HD, but the cost is prohibitive if I have to buy both in their entirety.

THanks!

bradesp

Comcast does something like this for broadcast channels, but not the rest of their HD lineup.

A Dish HD receiver will tune in locals via a OTA antenna. Why not just use that for HD?

I doubt, you'll get TWC to budge on this.

I did a switch to Time Warner, but I switched completely so I wanted everything from them. Can't speak to how to get them to give you just the HD channels.

However, I can speak as to why someone wouldn't be happy with just an OTA antenna -- because it sucks in some regions! Even though I live right in Minneapolis, I couldn't get very good signal from the towers in Shoreview, no matter what antenna I tried. And I wasn't interested in trying to mount an antenna in the attic, given the crawlspace in my house to get up into the attic is tiny and it'd be a pain in the ass to get the cable from the attic down to my boxes.

That and other reasons made me decide to dump Dish.

I live in Southwest Minneapolis and I get great reception OTA! Every station other than the WB is over 90%! Having said that, I am considering switching to Time Warner because of the DVR and they have more HD than Dish.

MarkoC said:
I live in Southwest Minneapolis and I get great reception OTA!
Have you experienced the OTA ABC abd NBC losing their re-map assignments lately and showing up as 50-01 and 35-01 vrs. 5-01 and 11-01? Just wondering if it's my 811 or a problem with the broadcasters ??

My local Abc( Beaumont, Texas) which is 12-1 on the remap, but really is 50-1 on the digital channel designation ,will change everynow and then and lose it's remap designation and it will show up as 50-1 rf channel. It happened last week and then it went back to 12-1 and we lost the 50-1 rf channel. It has got to be the station itself messing with the psip data. Makes it really hard to record my local news when the channel itself will change. I get a lot of black screens and no recordings.

new_to_hdtv said:
Have you experienced the OTA ABC abd NBC losing their re-map assignments lately and showing up as 50-01 and 35-01 vrs. 5-01 and 11-01? Just wondering if it's my 811 or a problem with the broadcasters ??
Yes, I have had the 35-01 problem but it recently went back to 11-01.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)