Has Dish become the new pig?

Neutron said:
With the small ammount of channels for what they were charging I don't really see the reason for the increase.

Well let's compare.

Dish has 15 HD channels available for $14.99. Thats about $1 channel

Directv has 5 HD Channels for $10. That's $2 a channel, twice Dish's price. Who's the pig here? ;)

NightRyder

HD921 said:
I just don't see the word free anywhere in the that statement. Get real man, I guess you want dish to go the way of Voom by offering additional programing at no charge.

Here is the press release header: (Feel free to read the whole press release)

DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM Programming

The operative word is "expands", meaning to offer in addition to. Where in the release does it say you will be charged an additional $5?

It would appear, to me at least, that E* is pricing itself towards the Voom path. If you are happy with paying more for junk HD channels, then more power to you. As for me, since I've gotten the answer to the question "when will Dish add more HD channels to the HD Package" that many have been asking for months now by finding out Charley is putting his hand deeper into my pocket. No thanks, adios to the HD Package since my commitment is up. I will certainly watch what Direct offers as I am sure they will respond to E* adding the 10 channels.

Neutron said:
With the small ammount of channels for what they were charging I don't really see the reason for the increase.
Do you know how much bandwith an HD channel comsumes? alot more then an SD channel. Again if you don't like the price don't buy it.

Harry said:
I will certainly watch what Direct offers as I am sure they will respond to E* adding the 10 channels.

I'm sure they will. Their HD Pak with the new channels will be $15, I'll bet on it. You want your locals in HD via satellite? That will be another $10, thank you very much (all speculation of course). Rupert isn't going to give anything away.

NightRyder

It sounds like everyone posting so far has significantly upgraded their packages to include 180, movie packages, HD, etc. Once you have that much programming how can you expect it to be that much cheaper than a similar package from one of the cable providers?
If someone switches from digital cable service to a similar pack from dish (at120) there's a pretty good savings (nearly $20/mo here), plus no analog channels. It's appealing to customers in the $45-60 range. In the arena of subscriber acquision this is the target group, not the videophile, and that's E*'s driving funtion, add more subscribers rather than cater to high end users.

My goodness, Dish adds more HD channels and everyone (Harry, Neutron, etc...) want to gripe because they charge $5.00 for them! What the hell is wrong with everyone, Dish added ten HD channels, something that us Dish customers for more than two months have been wanting for a very long time. You gripe because you have to pay $15 for 15 channels, you want everything for nothing! Don't like it, go to Directv, or better yet since you think Dish is the new pig, go ahead and sign up for cable!! Stop the bi%*$ing, and either sign up for the Voom channels or switch to another provider that already charges more than Dish!

Harry, THERE IS NO WHERE IN THAT PRESS RELEASE THAT IT SAYS YOU WILL GET THESE CHANNELS FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough already, I grant you that it doesn't say that it will cost more, however that doesn't mean that they lied in their press release! Common sense tells you that when Dish, Directv, Cox, etc. add channels they are going to charge more. So the idea that you thought for a second that Dish was going to add ten channels for nothing is completely crazy!

tonyp56 said:
My goodness, Dish adds more HD channels and everyone (Harry, Neutron, etc...) want to gripe because they charge $5.00 for them! What the hell is wrong with everyone, Dish added ten HD channels, something that us Dish customers for more than two months have been wanting for a very long time. You gripe because you have to pay $15 for 15 channels, you want everything for nothing! Don't like it, go to Directv, or better yet since you think Dish is the new pig, go ahead and sign up for cable!! Stop the bi%*$ing, and either sign up for the Voom channels or switch to another provider that already charges more than Dish!

Harry, THERE IS NO WHERE IN THAT PRESS RELEASE THAT IT SAYS YOU WILL GET THESE CHANNELS FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough already, I grant you that it doesn't say that it will cost more, however that doesn't mean that they lied in their press release! Common sense tells you that when Dish, Directv, Cox, etc. add channels they are going to charge more. So the idea that you thought for a second that Dish was going to add ten channels for nothing is completely crazy!
nice sumarization, $5.00 is only 2 gallons of gas. let them try getting a month out of that, or maybe gas should also be free. I'll vote for that!!!

I need to get a $100 extra dish before I can start to complain about the extra $5/month for the new HD channels. Realistically, I'll keep watching ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox locals in HD and forget about Dish HD until mpeg4 hits the fan.

If Dish offered HBOHD and SHOHD separately at an attractive price, I'd buy those two.

NightRyder said:
I'm sure they will. Their HD Pak with the new channels will be $15, I'll bet on it. You want your locals in HD via satellite? That will be another $10, thank you very much (all speculation of course). Rupert isn't going to give anything away.

NightRyder

Since I have a DTV/HD OTA STB, I already get 5 channels of DTV/HD free and will be getting two or more very soon. This is why I will have no problem dropping the HD Pack.

IMHO, the OTA HD beats the crap out of the junk HD E* offers. DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD are the only channels worth anything. Plus the picture and sound are better because they are not compressed so much to beam through a satellite. Soon, DTV/HD will be the standard and only satellite will be carrying SD.

I guess when Charley adds the next batch of HD channels, you'll be happy to shell out even more money. :no

I knew that Dish was going to increase the price when they added these VoOm channels. Dish didn't say anything about not charging for the 10 VoOm channels either. Expect HD to be a premium until most channels are broadcasted in HD. The only requirement from the government is digital, not HD. We will have to pay a higher cost for the package(s) as more and more channels get added. Eventually when enough HD content is available those companies owning the channels will want to be in a similar based package as we see today with SD channels. This may cause a noticable increase in what we pay for the service. Maybe this will be a good thing at first as we may see similar packaging that people want with their SD service. This would be where you can pick and choose the channels that you want (or smaller packages at least). This will happen until they replace the SD packages with the HD packages.

There may be a bit of a problem though and hopefully they will figure out a solution to this. That is if some of the channels choose to have a different channel with different content for an HD feed to try to make more money instead of showing the same feed that is in SD in an HD format. This would cause there to be extra packages in addition to the SD feed. If the companies that has additional channels for an HD feed require them to be in a basic package as they do now with SD then that package could get quite expensive. People would have to choose SD or HD for their service at that point. Some people could look at it as saving money in that the package would be cheaper at first since there are fewer channels in the package but still have the main channels that they watch. Others may see it as more expensive as they would still have to order the SD package in order to get the channels that they want that is not in HD yet.

What would end up moving a lot of people to HD is to include that in the SD package but there is only so much space for HD while SD is still up there.

I don't have a problem with the $5 a month charge for the channel (I was paying $50+ a month with VOOM just to see them before, so now I am saving over $45 a month)

I also do not see a problem with Dish charging $100 for customers to get a Dish installed to see 61.5.

In some cases you would be better off shopping at places like DishStore.NET to get what you need to a second dish.

But in some cases, customers may have a Dishpro system and may be pointed at 3 satellites. The $100 from Dish includes everything, if you need a DPP+44 switch (which sells for $199) you get it included with that $100 offer.

If you are affraid of heights, dont know how to put up a dish or are just too lazy to do it, $100 is a good deal.

Once you paid the $100 for the dish and it's installed, I think you will be happy. You sent thousands on your HDTV whats spending a few bucks more for some of the best HDTV anywhere.

Don King once said... Without VOOM, your HDTV is just a TV! :D

You're still talking like HD users should be Charley's main focus. You do realize that E* makes it's money from getting more and more new subscribers? The extra HD programming is just that, extra. Hasn't it been always been a given that E* is the dish for the common man while D* is better for the videophile ie. better gear, satellites, and programming options?

Harry said:
Since I have a DTV/HD OTA STB, I already get 5 channels of DTV/HD free and will be getting two or more very soon. This is why I will have no problem dropping the HD Pack.

IMHO, the OTA HD beats the crap out of the junk HD E* offers. DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD are the only channels worth anything. Plus the picture and sound are better because they are not compressed so much to beam through a satellite. Soon, DTV/HD will be the standard and only satellite will be carrying SD.

I guess when Charley adds the next batch of HD channels, you'll be happy to shell out even more money. :no

I have no OTA HD available (white area) so the HD Pak works well for me (I like the channels). I have no LOS to 61.5 so unless they mirror the new channels at 148 I won't be getting the add-on package. Will I pay more for additional HD channels? Depends on the programming, but I've got $6000 invested in my home theater, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over something as small a $5 a month (especially when it's optional).

One thing I don't understand, if your dropping the HD Pak anyway, why all the whining about the optional $5 V* add-on? :confused:

NightRyder

tonyp56 said:
You gripe because you have to pay $15 for 15 channels, you want everything for nothing! Don't like it, go to Directv, or better yet since you think Dish is the new pig, go ahead and sign up for cable!! Stop the bi%*$ing, and either sign up for the Voom channels or switch to another provider that already charges more than Dish!

I'll try one more time. We have been waiting for months for more HD programming. The release comes out leading you to believe the 10 channels will be ADDED to the HD Package. But wait! No! That will cost you another $5 a month! Plus another $100 if you don't get the 61.5 satellite. And for what?

==> RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD <==

Now there is something to get excited about. Had they added ABC, FOX, PBS and NBC HD, Heck, I'd be happy to pay additional money. But not for this crap.

I can gripe because we have been waiting for additional HD channels. Some, like me, have kept the HD PAckage because of this. The release says "Expanding the HD Package". Had they been forthright about charging more I would really have no problem.

Quite frankly, E* is not much cheaper than cable now and you don't have to have dishes, switches, antenna's, buy additional equipment and rewire your house. What started out as a good thing is now becomming not so good.

NightRyder said:
I have no OTA HD available (white area) so the HD Pak works well for me (I like the channels). I have no LOS to 61.5 so unless they mirror the new channels at 148 I won't be getting the add-on package. Will I pay more for additional HD channels? Depends on the programming, but I've got $6000 invested in my home theater, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over something as small a $5 a month (especially when it's optional).

One thing I don;t understand, if your dropping the HD Pak anyway, why all the whining about the optional $5 V* add-on? :confused:

NightRyder

I had kept the HD Pack because we were supposed to get more HD programming. Since the additional channels (which I do not see as any good) will increase the cost, no reason the keep the HD pack now.

After I got my STB, the network programming I recieved showed that the E*, HD Pack was not worth it for me. If you can't get OTA then I agree that the $15 would be worth it. But for me, I get a lot better stuff for free via OTA.

Stargazer said:
...What would end up moving a lot of people to HD is to include that in the SD package but there is only so much space for HD while SD is still up there.
That's what MPEG-4 and the 129 satellite are for.

tonyp56 said:

No need to flame here. I was just stating an opinion. :) I'm not a fan of paying $10 for 5 channels of HD at Directv, but, I know that they will be adding a lot more, and D*, IMHO has a better price for their service.

Tonyp56, please calm down. People are just stating their opinion, no need for flaming them either.

Harry said:
Quite frankly, E* is not much cheaper than cable now and you don't have to have dishes, switches, antenna's, buy additional equipment and rewire your house. What started out as a good thing is now becomming not so good.

Everyone should evaluate all the options available and pick the one that works best for them. Cable has become very competitive in some areas (not mine) and in those cases deserves serious consideration. If the area you live in has a superior cable company, maybe you would be happier and better served by switching to them. Satellite is certainly not for everybody.

The V* channels wouldn't have been my first choice either. I would have rather seen ABC-HD, NBC-HD, FOX-HD, PBS-HD and Universal-HD added first, but more HD is always a good thing. IMHO

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Everyone should evaluate all the options available and pick the one that works best for them. Cable has become very competitive in some areas (not mine) and in those cases deserves serious consideration. If the area you live in has a superior cable company, maybe you would be happier and better served by switching to them. Satellite is certainly not for everybody.

The V* channels wouldn't have been my first choice either. I would have rather seen ABC-HD, NBC-HD, FOX-HD, PBS-HD and Universal-HD added first, but more HD is always a good thing. IMHO

NightRyder

Very true. I do enjoy HD but after all the things we've gone through with E*, this was just one more slap in the face.

(I would post this on the "I have Dish and need to Vent" forum but I can't find it! Scott?)

It's not that I can't afford $5, I can. I am a long time Dish subscriber and too many times their deals have come out you couldn't get this or that because you are an existing subscriber. When I first subscribed, there was no leasing of equipment. I have purchased everything. I bought my orginal setup, my 811, additional stuff to install everything, antenna, multiplexors... I am getting tired of shelling out money every time Charley gets an itch in his pants.

Sigh.... :no

Harry said:
Very true. I do enjoy HD but after all the things we've gone through with E*, this was just one more slap in the face.

(I would post this on the "I have Dish and need to Vent" forum but I can't find it! Scott?)

It's not that I can't afford $5, I can. I am a long time Dish subscriber and too many times their deals have come out you couldn't get this or that because you are an existing subscriber. When I first subscribed, there was no leasing of equipment. I have purchased everything. I bought my orginal setup, my 811, additional stuff to install everything, antenna, multiplexors... I am getting tired of shelling out money every time Charley gets an itch in his pants.

Sigh.... :no

I guess I timed my purchases well or have a different point of view.

Here is my (hardware) purchase history with Dish.

I purchased my initial Dish 300 system from Dish Depot in January 1999. This included a Dish 300, Self Install Kit, 4700 and 2700 receivers. My total cost for all this was $0 plus a $50 credit on my first bill.

When E* came out with the Dish 500 I received a free upgrade with $25 shipping. Since I installed it myself they gave me a $25 credit on my next bill. Net cost to me $0.

I paid full price for my 501-DVR (pre-order) but traded my 2700 in for a $30 credit at Dish Depot. Net cost to me $249.

Added my 508 in 2003 for $149 through Dish. Retired my 4700 and sold for $70. Net cost to me $79.

Added my 811 at the beginning of 2004 for $149 including install. Dish upgraded my legacy LNBF's on my 500 and 300 (for 148)to DishPro and Installed a DP34. Sold my legacy LNBF's and switches for $45. Net cost to me $109.

Let's see so far I've invested $387 and I have a Dish 500, Dish 300, DishPro Twin LNBF, DishPro Dual LNBF, DishPro 34 switch, Dish 501, Dish 508, Dish 811. I've also signed up 4 people through Club Dish for total programming credits of $240. That brings my investment down to $147.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts