Has PBS moved off of AMC3 or am I going crazy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I've been trying to tune in the PBS channels on AMC3 Ku all evening. I've managed to find The Patient Channel, Tip TV, and The Muslim channels on AMC3, but I can't get signal from 12179 V 30000 Symbol rate. I've tried a different wire and have the same issue. Could somebody confirm for me that PBS is still on AMC3? I can't even get PBS Montana.

Maybe I'm too tired and just need to pack it in for the day...

Thanks for the quick response.. I'm going to start the process of elimination by swapping receivers, LNB's etc.. I bought a Starchoice Dish and LNB for $20 today. I'm starting to wonder if the LNB is flakey... It's almost time to pack it in for the day. Have a good night. Again, I appreciate the quick reply!

just checked again...we have storms coming but Montana is at 66-67 on the Coolsat and PBS is 63-65

63 is threshold so right now PBS is lower than Montana

normally both at 70-72

Getting both here, but 12179 V 30000 is down at least 15% from normal. Noticed the drop yesterday, and, like an idiot, went out to see if I could boost it. Long story short, didn't improve it much, wasted way too much time, and may have slightly affected the signal (not for the better) on the other LNBs on the dish at the same time (when will I learn)!

AMC 21 is supposed to be launched tomorrow August 14th. The launch window opens at 4:44 pm EDT. If all goes well, commercial service should begin in about 6 weeks. PBS should be on both AMC 21 and AMC 3 for at least 60 days after that.

Arianespace

125º West

Thanks, PhotoMan76!
Looks like it's gonna get crowded up there:
Fitted with 24 high-power Ku-band transponders, AMC-21 will offer a minimum
design life of 15 years. It will deliver broadcast television and broadband
connectivity or services in the United States, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean and
Central America from its orbital position at 125 degrees West.
I had not been following the status of the new satellite.
It took a bit of digging on the site to find this info.

Getting both here, but 12179 V 30000 is down at least 15% from normal. Noticed the drop yesterday, and, like an idiot, went out to see if I could boost it. Long story short, didn't improve it much, wasted way too much time, and may have slightly affected the signal (not for the better) on the other LNBs on the dish at the same time (when will I learn)!

I've noticed that the PBS signal has bounced around a lot lately, sometimes, barely noticeable. If I didn't have two motorized dishes, to compare with each other, I'd be going crazy , too. It's my TRUE SOUTH bird and I was going to tweak in my dishes one morning, and there wasn't anything much to tweak. Had to wait until it came back up strong again. :(

Did I read it correctly that AMC21 is going to be located at 125 West? Boy, what are the chances that I could fashion some sort of LNB holder for 2 degree spacing to pick up Galaxy 18 and AMC21 on the same dish? :)

Oh, as an update to my original post.. I have been trying to get signal on what appears to be a 24 to 26" Starchoice dish, and also a DirecPC dish. I'm going to try my Alphastar 31" dish tonight to see if I can get it to lock on to the PBS signals. I think that my issue is that I'm not using a big enough reflector to get those weaker PBS signals. I wonder if a 24" dish will be big enough for AMC21 :)

I tried to lock AMC3 Mon. evening with no luck........although I was doing it blind. I used to pick it up with a 30" dish but since I moved I've had no luck. So I switched to the 1m dish and tried.
I ended up finding G-28........close, but not close enough. It was pitch black outside when I landed there so I called it a night. I'll try again on the weekend. The fluctuating signal may be playing a part. I know that the 30" was barely enough but the 1m should be just fine once I find it......only 2 degrees to go!

I'm glad to see that it isn't just me having troubles locating AMC3 :) The Patient Channel comes in fine at about 60% quality. I've even got as high as 70% quality on one of the other transponders. The PBS channels must be on transponders that aren't running full power.

Yeee haw! Ride 'em cowboy!

Wonder how long 'till it's in position and checked out ?
edit:
If all goes well, commercial service should begin in about 6 weeks.
PBS should be on both AMC 21 and AMC 3 for at least 60 days after that.
Will be nice to see it on line.

Attachments

• missionup_14aug08_top.jpg
    missionup_14aug08_top.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 186
  • missionup_success_14aug08_1_lg.jpg
    missionup_success_14aug08_1_lg.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Dammit, Are they trying to kill me.. I have trees that way...

That's west of G10r (yes, I'm a holdout on names), so I may have to move the dish - we'll have to see. G10r is a bugger right now.

On the other hand, if I move the dish and get a consistent 70-80% - then it might be worth it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts