Has PBS moved off of AMC3 or am I going crazy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
both Montana & PBS is back to "normal" here

The PBS mux is back to "normal" for me as well. Was out tweaking the dish again today (I did say I'll never learn) as the signal was fluctuating between 30 and 45, so thought I could tweak it up to the 45 (which is "normal"). It didn't want to co-operate, and soon I lost the fluctuation and it remained at 30, then started to drop a bit. So I used a different frequency to peak, and then checked back, and it is now in the 15-20 range. I say a few choice words, try to peak on it with minor movements of the LNB, can't boost it, soon lose it completely, return to the other frequency and re-peak on it, and check others for strength (all about what I expect). When I re-check the PBS mux it is just under 25 and fluctuating, and then suddenly, it jumps up to a steady 45. Very, very, quickly locked down the LNB! Signal has remained steady ever since.

Also tweaked the other LNBs back to previous levels, and in fact, gained a bit on the H2/AMC6 LNB. Will NOT touch the dish again!

Did I read it correctly that AMC21 is going to be located at 125 West? Boy, what are the chances that I could fashion some sort of LNB holder for 2 degree spacing to pick up Galaxy 18 and AMC21 on the same dish? :)
This don't make sense, 125w is where G14 (G5) is located. You must have read it wrong?

I was able to lock AMC3 last night with my 1m but the quality wasn't terrific at about 45-55 on the PBS x-ponders.
After the move I should have no issues with getting it!! That's good news, clear LOS west of G10R. And a Stihl 044 if things don't go as planned...........muahhahahahahaha!

AMC3's signal has been all over the place for me as well. I guess that's why the satellite is being replaced. I think that bird is sick (at least on the PBS transponders).

Did I read it correctly that AMC21 is going to be located at 125 West? Boy, what are the chances that I could fashion some sort of LNB holder for 2 degree spacing to pick up Galaxy 18 and AMC21 on the same dish? :)

maybe we will get lucky and a sponsor will have them available soon.

I havent seen a 2 degree monobock before and I honestly dont think we will. Dish did it with their 119/121 Superdish and DirecTV use to have 99/101 but the DBS slot the LNB looked like a pencil. I dont know if you can cram 2 LNB's in 4 degrees like that

I had such a problem tuning in PBS recently that I think I ruined a good 36" dish by constant tweaking and twisting while the dish was clamped down too hard and this just made things worse.

Isn't it amazing how trying to tune in a signal you know is there but you just can't get can make a tweaker physically ill?

So I went drastic and loaded a regular ku lnb into the scalar ring of a 10 foot perfect 10, fed it into a computer with my 103G satellite card and pointed it at AMC-3. Now I have SD, HD and decoded Dolby and have not worried about signal since then.

I havent seen a 2 degree monobock before and I honestly dont think we will. Dish did it with their 119/121 Superdish and DirecTV use to have 99/101 but the DBS slot the LNB looked like a pencil. I dont know if you can cram 2 LNB's in 4 degrees like that

It is too bad that the 121 Superdish feedhorn assembly can't be used for two FSS LNBs (one of the feedhorns is designed for circular only). That would make a perfect solution for two-degree reception :)

PBS going 100% HD by Feb 2009... Wow... That's going to push a lot of people to make the jump to HD receiver sooner than they had planned.

I've been having a lot of trouble with PBS on AMC3 as well. Some days even the HD channel comes in clear, other days I can't get the mux at all and even the Patient Channel breaks up. I've been eagerly watching the launch of AMC21, congrats to Ariane on a job well done.

Does anyone know when a test signal will be available on AMC21? Full duplicated service is supposed to start in October, but surely they will have color bars at least up before that. I know it takes some time to move the bird into the right position, but we should not have to wait 6 weeks for a signal.

From what I see all PBS will be HD by February. Default

Oh NOOOOOOO!

Either a pricey HD STB or a PC with DVB card will be manditory. Arrrgh. :mad:

Thanks for the info, Pismire...:up

BTW, my AMC3 PBS quality has degraded too. Macroblocking and wildly fluctuating signal. It's too dang hot to spend much time on it lately. Other than that, ants and mosquitoes make working on it hazardous.

I talked to the engineers of Montana PBS, and they will be moving to the new satellite as well this fall. They will be emailing to me the new frequencies. As soon as I get them I'll post them.

think outside the box

PBS going 100% HD by Feb 2009... Wow... That's going to push a lot of people to make the jump to HD receiver sooner than they had planned.
Or not... ;)
I get at least two HD PBS channels Off The Air on a $60 converter box.
.... and the 42" HD TV gets 'em , too.
Each station has additional content on sub-channels.

So, don't forget to keep your options open. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.