Has the DTVPal DVR started shipping yet? (Yes)

OK, it has a card that slips into the lower front. And coax in/out, HDMI, RJ-45, USB, component, composite, and RCA & fiber audio.
Whole thing was shrink wrapped. Came with a coax cable and a Yellow/Red/White composite-audio cable. And manual. And remote w/batteries.
Thanks for the pictures and details!

I must say that putting it inside of shrink-wrap is an important improvement over the DTVPal Plus. I bought two of them as Christmas presents and UPS dropped them off on a Friday when we were away for a 3-day weekend. When we returned on Sunday night, I found them sitting next to the garage door (which is under an overhang) soaking wet. According to relatives it had rained sideways almost all day on Saturday. I immediately took everything out of the packages and let it all dry. Fortunately, the electronics were not wet. All worked fine, so I delivered them as early Christmas presents, since the boxes were too warped to wrap.

Anyway, given they may drop these US$250 DVRs on doorsteps, also, the shrinkwrapping seems like a necessary precaution. Now, if they could just include little heaters to keep the capacitors from freezing in the bitter cold we'd be all set! :p

Is there an update out already?
Yes.
Because I'm a fish lover (That's right. I did it- for the Halibut!), I plugged it in to my network. It immediately said "Ethernet detected." So I went to menu, broadband, network setup - all was well. Then backed up one, and selected software update. It immediately said there was a new update. It took maybe 30 seconds to download, maybe 90 seconds to install. Then it said "searching for signals" & "none found" and then "update successful" or something similar. From F201 to F202.

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

It's a rare occasion that I watch live TV anymore, but last night I was watching Leverage on TNT-HD and what looked like a public service announcement about the digital transition came on. It started with a guy with a bucket over his head and they were talking about how next year this may be you if you're getting your TV over the air, but did you know you can get a converter for free with a government coupon, and they put up the government's website. At this point I really wasn't paying much attention, and it hadn't sunk in that a pay channel would have no reason to be running an announcement about OTA TV. But then I noticed on the screen the words "www.dtvpal.com" and the announcer was saying something about getting local channels for free and "pay channels starting at only $9.99 per month."

Obviously, but what frequencies are they going to be broadcasting on?

This was a national commercial, but surely many areas won't have bandwidth available on the existing DTV transmitters. Are they going to be providing this service on the 700MHz bandwidth they bought, or what?

Thanks for all the good info on the DTVPal DVR. I would like to hear everyone's experiences with the programming guide...good/bad, reliable/unreliable, etc.

I sure hope EchoStar releases a direct-to-consumer Digital Cable Ready model soon...

Incorrect.

T-Mobile uses the same SIM (smart) cards in their VOIP product that they do in the cell phones, seems like dish is doing something similar with this.
Totally different - SIM vs Dish [Nagra] card !
Just one example - you can buy SIM card reader and manage your address book, ring-tones, pictures, etc; now try to buy GENERIC ISO-7816 card adapter ie reader ( it's a dumb device - without software you can do nothing with security smart card for your PC for example ) - Dish will prosecute you as a hacker ! :(

OK- Quick question. My DTVPal DVR guide is showing "TV Guide" in the upper right. Except, our local CBS station does not transmit the signal. The next city over, Baltimore, has CBS on 13 - no idea if they're transmitting TVGOS digital. However, the Pal DVR is not picking that channel up. So that's not the source. However, if I reaimed the antenna, it probably would pick it up.

Another source? Bug that shows TVG regardless?

I have some program data, but not across the board, and it's limited. Looks like PSIP. I'll compare it to PSIP data on the set later. Any way to determine if it really has TVG and the source?

BTW, PQ thru the Pal DVR is better than thru the Sammy 52" A650 LCD HDTV.

OK- Quick question. My DTVPal DVR guide is showing "TV Guide" in the upper right. Except, our local CBS station does not transmit the signal. The next city over, Baltimore, has CBS on 13 - no idea if they're transmitting TVGOS digital. However, the Pal DVR is not picking that channel up. So that's not the source. However, if I reaimed the antenna, it probably would pick it up.

Another source? Bug that shows TVG regardless?

I have some program data, but not across the board, and it's limited. Looks like PSIP. I'll compare it to PSIP data on the set later. Any way to determine if it really has TVG and the source?

BTW, PQ thru the Pal DVR is better than thru the Sammy 52" A650 LCD HDTV.

It seems WUSA has started TVGOS according to this RabbitEars.Info

I had the problem you described, and even messed the 722 up so bad, that it locked up and rebooted, while I was messing with the DTVPal DVR. You can change the Remote Address on The DTVPal from 1 to 2.

Thanks ralfy. That solved my problem.

What I like about the DTVPal DVR:
Good picture with both HDMI and component.
Tuner sensitivity is a little better than the one in the 722.
Having two independent tuners.
All the trick plays work.
Being able to record from guide selection.
No subscription fee.

What I don't like so much:
The remote conflicts with other Dish receivers.
(The remote address can be changed, but there is no mention of this in the manual.)
The guide depends on info provided by local stations. Most stations in my area provide it, but a couple do not.
No named-based recording. Recordings are time-based like the old 921, so you'll miss your show if it gets shifted to another day or time.

WildBill, thanks for the pros and cons. I would appreciate other users likes and dislikes. One major concern being an old "921 Beta User" back in the early days, is the DTVPal DVR stable? Any sudden crashes and reboots?