Have D* w/Dual LNB and Want to add a multi-switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Billsnj

Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
SNJ
I have a 18" Round Dual LNB Directv Dish with two(2) cables running to my Hughes Series 2 TIVO DVR.
My TV is a Sony SD - no plans to go to HD.
Have had D* for more than 10+ yrs and TIVO for approx. 5 yrs - upgraded hard drive 11/2008.
Everyting work just fine.
QUESTION: I want to add another DVR (SD Directv unit) that my son will be giving to me once his HD DVR arrives. He purchased this SD DVR approx. 4/5 years ago from Directv.
I know I need to contact D* etc etc etc etc. no Problem!
What type of multiswitch will I need to install to have both DVR's fully functional ??
Note: The purpose of the 2nd DVR will be for backup and allow additional recordings beyond the two (2) that I can presently do today.
I would prefer not to spend a lots of bucks on the multiswitch - but while researching I saw so many different "x by x's" that I could not figure out which would serve my very basic needs.
Would appreciate any help and suggestions - Thank You -- Bill --

Splitting hairs, but it makes a difference - you don't have a 'dual LNB', you have a 'dual output single LNB'. That will require a 3x4 switch (3 in/4 out). This switch takes the input from BOTH LNB outputs and splits it to up to 4 tuners (2 DVR's). The 3rd input is for an OTA antenna. You can leave this unused.

The higher number of inputs are for the older dual and triple LNB dishes (the ones that actually have 2 or 3 separate heads with two cables each) that look at different satellites. Higher number of outputs just supports more tuners.

The newest dishes and receivers use what's called SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch). This only requires a single cable off the dish regardless of how many different satellites it looks at, and only a single cable to each (compatible) tuner.

JerseyMatt -- #1 TY for the very prompt reply and the explanation - it was very clear.
Have a follow-up - I'll try to be brief -
Is there any particluar model or manufacturer of the "3 x 4" multiswitch that I should consider for purchase?
Next - From your explanation - I read that I would install the 3 x 4 - inside the cabinet (inside my home) where the two DVR's would be located. And as a result would need to add four short pieces of R6 to make the connections between the output side of the 3 x 4 and the two DVR's.
With the input side of the 3 x 4 connected to the two existing RG6 cables. (two in - four out)
Again - TY for your input any and all would be appreciated.
-- Bill --

You can put the multiswitch wherever you want to, as long as the RG6 from the LNB is not going anywhere else. The 3x4 multiswitches are cheap, if your cable runs are under 50 feet you can use the non-powered sort. Check ebay etc. D* may even give you one, especially if you have Protection Plan, or ask an installer, the guy that upgraded me to HD just tossed the old one on the ground and walked away. The multiswitch for SD only is different from the multiswitch used for HD.

as for the switch, I prefer zinwell. They're sturdily built. I've used them in my setups (both Directv and free to air) for about 7 years now with no issues. Ebay has them for under 10 bucks

The purpose of the 2nd DVR will be for backup and allow additional recordings beyond the two (2) that I can presently do today.
I do the same thing ;)

If its going to be right by the other than what DonBrew said would work
unhook the two cables from the existing receiver.
Hook those 2 cables into the 13v & 18v ports on the switch
Hook the 4 outputs to the 2 receivers using 4 short cables

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slight Picture Frame Skips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)