Have HDTV need HD receiver

scotch1

Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
I'm new here. Just put in a home theater on my own and seem to have run into bad luck in the form of crummy uninformed salespeople. Anyways, I bought the 65" Hitachi that apparently is just a monitor. The picture has always been grainy except of course when watching DVDs. I was talking with a friend about it and they said if I got the Dish Network 811 that would probably clear things right up and everything would be clear and awesome. Here's my problem. 35 days ago I had Dish Network come and give me 2 additional plain receivers under their free plan. I called back now to order the 811 receiver and they said since it was more than 30 days ago I am not eligible for another promotion until 12 months from now. GGrrrrr. Anyways, he gave me some options like shopping around on Ebay and getting the 811 for about $250 to $300 or buying the 811 from Dish Network for $413. But then after checking on some web pages, there are also HD receivers such as the Samsung. I am confused and don't know what to do. I really want to get the maximum effect out of my theater now rather than 12 months from now. Anyone have any ideas? Anything would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the wonderfull and turbulence filled world of HDTV...as well as to Sat guys :) If you live near a big metro City then the chances of ota...(over the air hd) are good, if not... find an 811 or check e-bay for a 6000u receiver for E*(dishnet) programming. If your wallet can stand it and E* will not dance with you consider either D*(direct) or V* (Voom) both have hd choices... talk with E* folks tell them you are really not satisfied first...even ask to talk to supervisors/and or customer retention. (just some thoughts...)

Yep, just 45 min from St Paul/Minneapolis. My friends get the local HD channels just off the antenna, but I really like my all my satellite channels and would like them very clear. I have spoken and emailed with E*supervisors, since they have that 1 year contract for the free receivers, I am pretty much locked in and can't take my business elsewhere. It is ridiculous. I guess they don't know what customer service is really all about. They give the free stuff to the new customers but what do they give to the long-time satisfied ones who have always had the subscriptions to the most expensive packages? Hhhhmm. Anyways.Is a 6000u better than the 811? So do you think sticking to either E* or D* is better than going with another brand HD receiver? Might have to just hook the theater up with D* to get the free deal. I've just gone way over budget on the theater and to have the widescreen not be perfect as it was in the store is really wearing on my nerves, not to mention the runaround from E*. Thanks for your ideas.

the 6000u is a primative receiver, but you do not hear much griping about.. have one....but in any case you should still be able to buy any E* HD receiver and add it on to your account I believe...(for the additional fee)or check with V* or D* csr's they might give you a deal...

With a 65" hdtv you are not going to get great SD picture quality from any dish network system. Just so you don't get all excited over an 811 making everything suddenly purty. The HD channels will be excellent though, don't get me wrong, there just aren't many of them :p

Most likely the "grainy" picture your describing is from the compression that dish is using (you'll notice that your local channels look the worst, and cartoons look the best). This is compounded greatly by scan velocity modulation if you have it enabled on your tv, (turn it off if you do).

The 811 will not change this, but it can get you HD. Which is why you bought that TV in the first place.

email ceo@dishnetwork.com .. tell them whats going on and see if you can lease an 811. They will give you a call within 24 hours.. good people that will try to make you happy, just be nice to them.

Those other HD receivers online (samsung, etc.) are OTA receivers only and won't work with dish network. They will get you your local HD channels (if their are any). The 811 has a built in OTA receiver so you can get your locals and the dish network HD stuff.

Hopefully, that answered something :yes

good luck!

Minneapolis is an O&O so you can get dish's CBSHD feed as well.

You should speak with Iceberg, he's also from that area. Very knowledgeable guy on this forum.

Wow, you guys are awesome. I wish I would have known about this site before I listened to the 17-year-olds at all the electronic chain stores when I bought my TV. So maybe I should ask then, on the connections to and from the TV/satellite/DVD player what kind of cables will be best? I believe I have the Monster cables from Circuit City as that was what was recommended. Again, I know this isn't the most fantastic theater set up, but want to get the most for my money that I can. What little of it there is :mad: AND not buy something that is overkill or something that won't do my system any good.

Monster cable is a RIPOFF Good cable, but HUGELY overpriced. You'll do much better at any of the online retailers that other posters have/will mention.

scotch1 said:
Wow, you guys are awesome. I wish I would have known about this site before I listened to the 17-year-olds at all the electronic chain stores when I bought my TV. So maybe I should ask then, on the connections to and from the TV/satellite/DVD player what kind of cables will be best? I believe I have the Monster cables from Circuit City as that was what was recommended. Again, I know this isn't the most fantastic theater set up, but want to get the most for my money that I can. What little of it there is :mad: AND not buy something that is overkill or something that won't do my system any good.
god, you bought monster cables...,ummm some of that was way overkill...

You will only notice a slight difference on analog (component, composite, S-video, coax) connections with Monster. You won't notice any difference on DVI/HDMI since that's a digital connection.

Since your TV is new, you should have DVI or HDMI. If so use that connection for the best possible picture on your TV.

I imagine he has s-video since he is using a non HD receiver.

When you get an 811 you may just wanna use the component cables that come with it. They are free.

I used regular a/v cables as component cables for a few weeks and no one could tell the difference except me when I finally got the DVI cable.. :cool:

OdiOdin
Thank you so much for your input. I sent an email very politely explaining my disappointment in their treatment to a long-time subscriber to that address and never gave my account number or phone number even. I had to work out of the house today and when I returned I had a reply to my email AND a message from the same person asking me to call her back so she can help me with my upgrade. My blood pressure is starting to go down. I also passed this info on to a friend who will be in the same situation in a month when their theater is done, who just had a couple SD receivers added and will be upgrading to HD when the big TV comes. Thanks again for your info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)