Have Ku - Is C-Band Worth The Effort?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Hello and thanks for reading my post. I'm a Newbie and just put up my first system (Ku) about a month ago. I bought the MicroHD Receiver, GeoSat 90cm Dish w PLL FLNB, HH Motor DG-380. I have a good OLM meter so that really helped me zero in on my closest true south satellite. Anyway, when all was said and done I could tune in 24 satellites. Could have got more but got range limits on the HH motor. My first blind search yielded 800 channels. After throwing out the scrambled, religious, foreign language channels, I ended up with about 60 meaningful channels in English, and 12 in Spanish. Not bad for free, there ain't much that's free nowadays. Some of the feed channels can be very entertaining at times.

So onto my question. I see that there is quite a few channels on C-Band that I might enjoy. So, I'd have to put up a C-Band Dish and run a dual FLNB (C/Ku). How many satellites can a C-Band Dish tune in. Does the actuator have enough range on it that I could still get all my Ku channels + as many C-Band channels that I could tune in? Or, would it be better to put up a seperate C-Band dish. I seem to like that 6' C-Band dish that Sadoun sells. It's inexpensive so if I wasn't pleased with the channels I got it wouldn't be a big loss money wise should I have to toss it.

So if some of you seasoned veterans would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

welcome :wave
If you have the ability to put up a C-Band dish by all means do it. There is a lot of good stuff out there on C-Band. Here is a real good list of C-Band programming on Free to air
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html

Even having a fixed dish at say 99W was worth it for me. I had one fixed at 99W and one fixed at 137W (for the hockey from Alaska)

Welcome to the site Bill. Yes it is worth putting up a C-Band Dish! :) There are more channels on C-Band than on Ku that are in the clear. Yes I would go with a separate dish for C-Band you will much happier that way. You can get the six foot dish, but it will just make you wish you had a bigger dish. I would look around your area and see if you see any C-Band Dishs hanging around. Most of the time just a knock on the door and asking about the dish, will get you it for free, just to take it down for them. ;)

Ke4est

You'll never regret it, i have never have had that fun with Ku.
countless good stations in english, more than 300 in spanish, almot 150 in portuguese, etc; specially if you can have a good size, 8 ' at least. Mine is a 6 footer and I am stiil able to get a lot of fun. So far I cando everthing from 30w to 129, however the rick is that i slightoly modified he actuator by moving a little bit the mechanical limit. easy to do but you have to know what you are doing.

makin the case for bigger used BUD

Don't know how much you were thinking it'd cost to buy a new 6'er.
But a used 8' or 10' BUD can be had for equal or less (often free).

Either way, I'd put a low cost dual output LNBF on it to get started.
Later, if you want more, the upgrade would be to an ortho feed, two LNBs, and a modified multiswitch.
The LNBF is cheap enough to retire without hurting the wallet.

The 6'er will need an actuator (motor).
If you buy a cheap one, then a cheap one you will have. :(
Often an otherwise ugly used BUD will come with a decent or better actuator.
With picky shopping or just dumb luck, you might find a nice dish on an H-H mount!
(see the two in my signature!) :up

You'll need a Vbox or Gbox regardless the dish.
Some try to use an old analog receiver you get with the used BUD, but that's for masochists! ;)

That 6'er mounts to a nonstandard pipe size, so it'll be more trouble to upgrade to another BUD later.
MOST BUDs mount on 3" pipe, which is 3.5" OD.
Often you can salvage enough of the pipe from a used BUD so you don't need to buy any. :)

Got both C-Band and Ku...no question..C-Band for me..I would highly recommend a 10 ft. dish for the s2 signals..

Hello Everyone -

Thanks for all the replies and for the valuable information. I was looking at the C-Band Channel list on Lyngsat and it got me to thinking. Yes, I've seen some BUDS around the area. Don't know if they're being used or not but maybe a knock on the door would yield some prospects. I've seen them up close and they're certainly big alright. Can they be dissassembled somewhat for easier transport? I could rent a trailer I guess if I had too.

I might put a want ad in our local "free ads" newspaper. That might bring in some results.

I'll get back to you regarding my progress. Your expert advice and suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

You will love C band. As some others have said, the bigger the better. At least 10 foot will yield the most fun. Yes they can be taken apart for easier transport. The mesh ones come apart in 4 sections. Be careful not to bend them. You don't want your dish warped. I bet you can find a free or very cheap one if you look around.

yes. 10ft mesh breaks into four sections and will fit nicely into the back of a short-box van. It is a no-brainer for those who already have a C-band dish.

Yes It's worth it like going from SD to HD. When masters go ITC it's awesome. Installing and playing with c-band is the same as going from a prop plane to a jet plane or push mower to riding mower. :)

Go for it you'll love it.

Hello and thanks for reading my post. I'm a Newbie and just put up my first system (Ku) about a month ago. I bought the MicroHD Receiver, GeoSat 90cm Dish w PLL FLNB, HH Motor DG-380. I have a good OLM meter so that really helped me zero in on my closest true south satellite. Anyway, when all was said and done I could tune in 24 satellites. Could have got more but got range limits on the HH motor. My first blind search yielded 800 channels. After throwing out the scrambled, religious, foreign language channels, I ended up with about 60 meaningful channels in English, and 12 in Spanish. Not bad for free, there ain't much that's free nowadays. Some of the feed channels can be very entertaining at times.

So onto my question. I see that there is quite a few channels on C-Band that I might enjoy. So, I'd have to put up a C-Band Dish and run a dual FLNB (C/Ku). How many satellites can a C-Band Dish tune in. Does the actuator have enough range on it that I could still get all my Ku channels + as many C-Band channels that I could tune in? Or, would it be better to put up a seperate C-Band dish. I seem to like that 6' C-Band dish that Sadoun sells. It's inexpensive so if I wasn't pleased with the channels I got it wouldn't be a big loss money wise should I have to toss it.

So if some of you seasoned veterans would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

IMO, since I have both bands, there's a lot more to watch on CBand, as compared to KU, plus the better channels appear to be mostly on CBand, not that there aren't good channels on KU as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts