Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello Guys,
I need some help with getting my Multi-Switch to work right! I have tried using two new 5x8 Multi-Switches. The first switch is:

SVI 5x8 Trunk Line, has 24VDC Power
LNB-A, 13VDC/0kHz
LNB-A, 18VDC/0kHz
LNB-B, 13VDC/22kHz
LNB-B, 18VDC/22kHz
The other (TERK) has the same setup.

I am using 3ea LNBF’s. I am using four cables coming from the three dishes.
1ea. C-Band GeosatPro (Dual)
2ea. GeosatPro SL1PLL
I am using the GeosatPro MicroHD Box, which is (GREAT)!

The problem is, no matter how I hook up the four cables to the multi-Switch, I can’t get one of the SL1PLL LNB’s to both pick-up the Horizontal side on both dishes. It’s either (Horizontal) on one and (Vertical) on the other. Before I changed out the LNBF’s on the Ku side I was using the dual GeosatPro LNB’s. I get the same problem with either LNBF used. I would appreciate some of your experienced help! I hope it is something silly I am not doing or some setting I have wrong. Thanks! Mean while, I will keep looking for answers!

You MUST use dual-output lnb's with this setup for horizontal/vertical. Separate lnb's for each switch input won't work, as you have discovered. So, you could have a dual output KU lnb on one set (13v/18v), and a dual output c-band lnb on the other set.

Yes the SL2 is a very good LNBF, which as you have already read, you will need or similar. ;)

Okay, I already have two SL2 LNB's that have dual cables ready to use. So I need to place the SL2's on the two smaller Ku sat's. I have only two lines coming back to the house for the Ku side. I will need to combine those four cables with a (switch) so I use the two cables to the house. What type of switch? Is that correct?

I don't mind going out to change back to the SL2 LNB's. And combine the four cables from them to a switch. I don't know what type of switch to use between the LNB's and coming back to the house.? If I get to that point coming back to the house, do I stay with my 5x8 Multi-Switch and where to connect at the Multi-Switch?

Last edited:
Could I use a diseqc( switche 4x1) on each of the SL2 dish cables and use the single cable lead back to the house? Then would I place that end on the LNB using 22kHz sides? Use both C-Band for the LNB non 22 hKz sides?
Wow, it's getting late and I have already taken my sleep time pill. I'll check back later and maybe after work I will change out the LNB's.

Anole, You said I might need (TWO) of my 5X8 Multi-Switces? For the hook ups I would need to know where to connect to!

Last edited:
Should I use a 4x1 switch at the two Ku dishes OR use a 4x4 switch? I will be coming back to the house with two lines. If I use the 4x1 switch does the horizontal on each 4x1 need to be the same hook up?
Yep. Read the link I posted above. :)

And get some sleep. Yer sounding punchy. ;)

Anole,

First I wanted to let you know that YOUR reference to the earlier post does work and thanks! I had a break in the weather and went to re-do the LNBS's and cables at the dishes. I used the same (one) 4x4 multi-switch as in your diagram. In the house I used (two) 4x1 switches. This works great if anyone was wandering. Before I tried the 4x1 switches, I did everyway possible to use the 5x8 multi-switch. When using the 4x4 multi-switch at the dishes, the 5x8 will not pick-up the signals like the 4x1 does.

So this will work for me! I learned a lot trying all this! Hope this helps someone else has or is planning this type of configuration.

Congratulations!
That old FAQ did its job. :)

As to your 5x8 switch, could it possibly need external power to work right?
Some do.

Both have external power, Anole. I just couldn't get either to work like the quality and signal strength the 4x1 gives. As times goes on, if I do get it to work, I'll let you know how I did it! Thanks!
Congratulations!
That old FAQ did its job. :)

As to your 5x8 switch, could it possibly need external power to work right?
Some do.

Hello Guys, I just thought I would give an update to my trying different cable and switch combinations (Its fun to try). I am still working on the 5x8 multi-switch when the weather breaks! I have found that while using the two 4x1 switches in the house will only get me two satellite boxes to use. I did try still using the (Zinwell) 4x4 multi-switch at the ku dishes. That would allow me to use two cables from the dishes to the house and the other are from the C-Band dual lnbf. using the (4) cables to the house now go into the 4x1 switches. Each 4x1 switch has one of each cable from Ku and C-Band. From the receiver connector on the 4x1 switch I have two cables to a (Zinwell) 3x4 multi-switch. All works fine! I did have to go into the satellite settings in the MicroHD and find the right combinations in the port and 22Hkz settings. I guess the main thing here is that it works without any notable decline in signal. By using this type of switching, now I am able to use (4) satellite boxes. I did try a RCA 3x4 and a Radio Shack 3x4 multi-switch I had lying around. These would not work! Only the Zinwell, would only work with the same brand at the dish? Anyway, I just wanted to pass on what I found to work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts