Have to cancel D*. Couple of questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
My apartment complex is doing construction which blocks my LOS to the satellites, so I can't get a signal. The problem is that I'm only 9 months into my 1 year contract. Obviously, I need to cancel b/c I can't see the sky. Moving the dish to another location wouldn't work as the new bldg will completely block my view.

Questions: Will D* still charge me for cancelling even though it's my choice in cancelling?

I bought the HD-DVR. Will it still function without D* service? I'd like to at least be able to use it for a digital OTA receiver/DVR.

Thanks for any help.

D* may or may not, if you tell them you have LOS chances are they will not. If D* let's you keep the equipment you could eBay it (tons of suckers) and get the LG-4200 from VE ... I have heard good things about this box.

The HD DVR services are only active if you are a subscriber ... so no.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I knew the HD-DVR was a doorstop with no service, but I was hoping it would at least pick up digital OTA. I'll call D* and see what they say.

squicken said:
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I knew the HD-DVR was a doorstop with no service, but I was hoping it would at least pick up digital OTA. I'll call D* and see what they say.
If you have 3 months left on your contract drop down to Seleccion Extra at $29.99 for the 3 months. It will keep your DVR active and cost less than the cancellation fee. At the end of the contract you own the equipment and can sell it. :)

Just talked to D*. They said I'd owe $12.50 for every month left on contract, which would only be $36.50. I'd own the equipment. Guess I'll try to sell or trade it all. Thanks again for all the quick responses.

The $150 cancellation fee is always pro-rated. It rarely makes any sense to turn-in equipment to avoid the fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)