Having to cancel Dish, I'm not happy

BrettTRay said:
I can't believe some techs would actually drive a ground rod in the ground and not tie it in to the main ground and say that its fine. Wheres Simple Simon when you need him?
Well, you better believe it. :D

Of course, I prefer to use a bonded ground, but if it's more than a few feet away, I'll pound a ground rod, and then, IF POSSIBLE, I'll "bond" it with 12ga copper.

Yes, I know that's NOT to NEC code, but most of you know my opinion of them. :)

The concept is to drain static. The NEC is worried about AC bleed onto the coax. That would require a double failure of the receiver.

And a final note, I have NEVER run into a ground loop issue (with satellite gear). If I had to guess why (because I know others here HAVE run into it), I'd say it's because there's dang few "old" household electrical systems up here.

Just for the sake of the issue, this was a local retailer that Dish contracted to do the install. He said that if I wanted it done the way he described, that Dish would have to come out and do it themselves.

Call Dish back and tell them you're not confident with the installer that was sent, and that from what he's told you, you are about to cancel. They'll send someone else who is more a troubleshooter. Same thing happened to my brother. First installer said he could not install because of wooded area of the house. Second installer mounted to a pole. No problem. First installer just did not want to do the work.

Why don't you post those pictures you mentioned earlier?
Maybe there's something about this place that freightened off the first installer. ;)

You need to call a local retailer not the one that came out.

When you go thur Dish they will sub contract to a local retailer but they do not pay the same if the Retailer did the job himself.

Also there are one set of rules that Dish would want them to use as far as grounding for there job it doesn't mean there aren't other ways that will work just as well and would be legal.

Also the big clue to your would be installer was the 40' ladder he probably doesn't have one there for he couldn't do the job and was making excuses not to do the work. I know that i am only one of 2 installers in NE Ohio that carries a 40' ladder at all times and they are a pain to work with.

I have had a lot of customer who were told no by the Dish sub installer that I was able to put in.

The subs get a lot of jobs in a day and they able to choose the easiest one to do. At there pay scale it is all about quanity not quality that is the only way they can make money.

A job like yours sounds like a 4-5 hour job at least and most of the sub have to be in and out under 2 hrs. to make any money.

Is the job such that a 40 foot ladder is needed? I'm still trying to fathom any job where I needed a 40 footer. Ever!! Seems easier to carry a 28 foot and a few smaller ladders to reach other parts of the house after you intially used the 28 to get to the top.

I am in Cleveland Hts. The person Dish sent out was probably not a retailer they have a RSP that services all of Ohio for them. I think you need to get a second retailer to look and you will probably get a different answer.

rowemance said:
You need to call a local retailer not the one that came out.

When you go thur Dish they will sub contract to a local retailer but they do not pay the same if the Retailer did the job himself.

Also there are one set of rules that Dish would want them to use as far as grounding for there job it doesn't mean there aren't other ways that will work just as well and would be legal.

Also the big clue to your would be installer was the 40' ladder he probably doesn't have one there for he couldn't do the job and was making excuses not to do the work. I know that i am only one of 2 installers in NE Ohio that carries a 40' ladder at all times and they are a pain to work with.

I have had a lot of customer who were told no by the Dish sub installer that I was able to put in.

The subs get a lot of jobs in a day and they able to choose the easiest one to do. At there pay scale it is all about quanity not quality that is the only way they can make money.

A job like yours sounds like a 4-5 hour job at least and most of the sub have to be in and out under 2 hrs. to make any money.

Good answer! :D

why ground it 90% of the jobs done in this country aint grounded any way including mine!!!!! no probs with mine been in for 3 yrs :D

Here is a picture of the front and side. The installer said he would have to put the dish on the back corner of the side shown. That is why he said he needed the 40' ladder. I'll try to get some pictures of the back of the house when I get home today.

Pic

Nice house!!! Did you say earlier your cable ends are in the attic on the opposite side of the house? They should have been sent down to the basement or garage, IMHO. What direction does the house front face?

Thanks

The cable ends are in the attic on this side of the house, but the grouding rods are on the opposite side of the house. I agree, I wish everything was in the basement and I don't understand why it's not.

I believe the house faces the north.

Not knowing your blueprints, any chance the ends could be barrell connected and brought to the other side? Not sure if that is a good idea or not, but a thought.

I've thought about that. I actually would like to barrel them and take them all to the basement. I've only been in the house since Saturday, so that's not quite a priority on the little lady's list.

Can we say Lazy Installer.

I see no reason from the outside that the dish can't be installed almost anywhere from the pictures.

The one side of the house could require a 40' ladder due to the ground drop off but the otherside a 28' ladder would do it.

New construction all the cable runs should go to the basement by the electrical box if your builder knew what he was doing.

Your house look like a great house but I don't see 300' run of wire that the installer was stating.

My conclusion is he was being lazy and your house looks like a typical 3-4 hour job for the install for 3 to 4 tv's.

Heres a free tip You said your wife was worry about the wire showing,Have the installer put the Dish by the corner of the house and feed the wire down the corner vinyl siding to the basement it will hide very well.

Your dish needs to face southwest from 226 to 246 degrees and have an elevation of 36 to 26 degrees clearance and you should get 110, 119 and 129.

Good luck in your new home too bad it's not close to me or I would get you installed but Im not sure where area code 770 is but its not close to me.

The cable ends in the attic could be feed from the basement I have see this in the new houses in cleveland all the 1st floor are in the basement and the second floor are in the attic feed by a line from the basement. There are ways to correct this problem with out wraping the house in wire.

I don't see any telephone poles in the pictures are you sure you don't have under ground wiring going into the basement. It would be very odd to have the main going into the attic.

I agree. Very weird wiring setup if the ends ARE in the attic (can you tell I'm more than a tad skeptical?). There has to be a way to fish some coax from the basement up to your attic. If nothing else, I'd run run the dual coax feeds along the edge of the house; from the attic...to the outside...and then tuck them inside the channels of your siding.

Ok, a ground rod is not an acceptable ground source unless it is bonded to the structures main ground source with 6 guage ground wire and that is per the nec and they dont make exceptions for any company. Looking at your picture of your home I would have to say that the dish could be mounted on most any side of the home without the need for a 40ft ladder. The chances of any grounding being found in the attic for the a/c or furnace is slim to none ( IE any legal form of grounding that any tv service installer can use so if some other cable jockey says he can tie into the ground on a junction box then just send him packing ) so the ground source will probably be on the outside still.

There wont be 400 - 500ft of cabling involved like he said, maybe around 250 tops but even thats a over estimate from just looking at your home. Even if the installer puts the dish on the corner of the roof he can still put the ground blocks under the eave and drop a ground wire down the corner siding trim and run it to a ground source.

Van said:
Even if the installer puts the dish on the corner of the roof he can still put the ground blocks under the eave and drop a ground wire down the corner siding trim and run it to a ground source.

The ONLY problem I can see with that is that you would want your ground wire run to be shorter...MUCH SHORTER...than the shortest cable run from the groundblock to the receiver. If he has a television upstairs, that would be an NEC violation as well.

Here are some pictures of the back of my house. The installer said he would have to put the dish on the left side of the chimney. The grounding rods are on the right side of the house by the driveway, so that's where some of the length in the runs are. The cable ends are in the attic just to the left of the chimney as well.

Side with grounding rods Back 1 Back 2 Back 3

Voom HD reception ?????

Archiving from DVR 522 to VCR/DVDR: Batch? Realtime?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)