Having to cancel Dish, I'm not happy

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I moved into a new house this weekend, and had Dish scheduled to come out and do the install yesterday. The installer came out and ultimately concluded that it could be done, but he wouldn't recommend it. The cable connections in my attic are on the opposite side of my house from the grounding rods. The installer said it would probably be pushing the limits of the cable to run the cables from the dish to the grounding rods and then back into the attic to hit all the connections. He estimated it would be around 400-500 feet of cable that would have to be run for each line plus the length of the cable already in the walls. There would also be exposed cable on the back of the house which would not make the wife very happy. I've been very happy with Dish and am very sad to have to cancel. On top of losing Dish, the cable company here charges at least $10 more for programming not even equal to that of Dish. If anyone has any suggestions or wants more info to maybe help me out, PM me. I have some pictures of the front of my house online if anyone wants to see it. Granted, their not of the back, but it might give you an idea of what my house is like.

Thanks

Sad to go

I would not give up. Have an electrician install a grounding rod on the other side of the house. Then you would be good to go, at least the way I see it. I've also read there are other grounding options. Hopefully, some experienced installers will chime in on this. I really don't believe this should prevent you from getting Dish.

Call a local dealer. Then, it needed, call another local dealer.
They will try harder and make you happy. :)

400-500 feet are you in a mansion?, most city lots aren't even that big, let alone the houses, what is the size of your house? 2000 square feet, 3000, if so these are exaggerated cable lengths to say the least, also any chance at locating the dish closer to your grounding source? Have someone else look at it? sounds like someone blowing it off cause it might be a little "harder" than a normal job

The installer mentioned locating the dish close to the grounding source, but he still said the length of the line to the hook ups would be too long. He also said they would need a 40 foot ladder to do the install which would make service calls a real pain in the future.

My AC units are on the opposite side of the grounding rods. Are they grounded as well? If so, there may be a grounding rod by them.

What a crock!
Go to the hardware or home store, and get a grounding rod. Aren't they $8 or $12?
Pound it in.
Hook it up.
Next.

Then call another installer.

(unless of course, you live on a big boulder or something) ;)

WakeBdr said:
The installer mentioned locating the dish close to the grounding source, but he still said the length of the line to the hook ups would be too long. He also said they would need a 40 foot ladder to do the install which would make service calls a real pain in the future.

My AC units are on the opposite side of the grounding rods. Are they grounded as well? If so, there may be a grounding rod by them.
This must be a huge house, but those run lengths sound absurd.
As to the height, could you put Dish on a ground post?
As others have said, have them send a different installer.

Anole said:
What a crock!
Go to the hardware or home store, and get a grounding rod. Aren't they $8 or $12?
Pound it in.
Hook it up.
Next.

Then call another installer.

(unless of course, you live on a big boulder or something) ;)

Oh boy. Let the "grounding wars" begin again. :p

The AC disconnect would be a legal ground source, but that aside this guy is feeding you full of crap on cable lengths

The frame would not, but as Dish Dude said, the disconnect two feet away would be. So would the ground up conduit to your electrical box. OR GET A GROUND ROD and put it wherever you want it.

dougruss said:
I believe there Ok,if their Tied into the Main Grounding Location? That means digging a Trench to the main ground rod location?

Exactly! ALL grounding has to be somehow tied together. Or more properly spoken...bonded. That's why I was wondering about the frame of the AC. A lot of industrial AC units have a ground attatched to them. Thought perhaps the same "rule" would apply to residential.

thiggin2 said:
Hmmm really :confused: ??? Didn't know that. I guess alot of us are doing it wrong then.

Thats right! ;) :)

Wouldn't grounding be a cake walk if we could just drive a rod and call it good?

You can ground to a rod if you run a (think #6cu) back to building ground system. Don't remember bonding conductor size as I have never done this.
This only relates to grds per NEC. Disregard if not following NEC.

inwo said:
Thats right! ;) :)

Wouldn't grounding be a cake walk if we could just drive a rod and call it good?

You can ground to a rod if you run a (think #6cu) back to building ground system. Don't remember bonding conductor size as I have never done this.
This only relates to grds per NEC. Disregard if not following NEC.
I believe it a #6 or heavier bonded wire.
I just remember years ago when I was into home base CB systems I dont remember running anything from the tower ground to the main house grounding system we just used a triangle style grounding setup and it worked great.

It sounds like the installer was just trying to get away from that install. Installers will sometimes over dramatize things to get out of having to do difficult installs. Not that I've ever done that ;) . Just put a ground rod werever you want to have the dish and that the installer can get the wires into the house. A ground rod is an acceptable grounding source as far as dish network is concerned. I have never failed a QC from using a only a ground rod for a grounding source.

I myself am not getting into the grounding thing I know how it works and I ground my installs. However I think like others have said, the guy was just trying to get out of the install. I sub for a local retailer. I have seen several times where a dns installer comes out and says no. So they do what others have also said and call a local retailer. So I get called out, and about 75% of the time the install is a piece of cake. Sometimes they are right but most of the time they don't really want to do anything that might be real work.

So try a local retailer they(us) take pride in there(our) work, well at least 90% of time and they(us) are more likely to help.

I can't believe some techs would actually drive a ground rod in the ground and not tie it in to the main ground and say that its fine. Wheres Simple Simon when you need him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)