Hawaii Five-O: Season 1

I like the Show, I think that perhaps some of you take this stuff too serious. ITS TV LIGHTEN UP!! Did anyone actually think it was going to be same?

I don't think anyone is taking this stuff too seriously...just that a number of us are disappointed with the show - we were expecting something different/better. No big deal...I like Detroit 1-8-7, Blue Bloods and (very surprisingly) The Defenders. To be honest, the show isn't bad at all (probably no better or worse than the aforementioned shows) and I'll probably give Hawaii 5.0 another look if they change around some things with the production (i.e., writing, character development, etc.).

Putting all the little things aside, the two biggest problems I see is that McGarrett is not at all likeable and the team does not interact well. Dirty Harry was a lovable bastard - Mr. T was a likeable tough-guy - McGarrett just comes across as an angry jerk with little respect for the legal boundaries he is trying to enforce. For example, Dirty Harry and Mr. T could get away with dangling a bad guy over a rooftop by his ankles...McGarreet cannot. In a way, this show reminds me of FlashForward. As much as I liked the show (and it's possibility), people just couldn't identify with the lead character Mark Benford. I think the same is true of this iteration of Steve McGarrett...especially since most people loved Jack Lord.

I don't think anyone is taking this stuff too seriously...just that a number of us are disappointed with the show - we were expecting something different/better. No big deal...I like Detroit 1-8-7, Blue Bloods and (very surprisingly) The Defenders. To be honest, the show isn't bad at all (probably no better or worse than the aforementioned shows) and I'll probably give Hawaii 5.0 another look if they change around some things with the production (i.e., writing, character development, etc.).

Putting all the little things aside, the two biggest problems I see is that McGarrett is not at all likeable and the team does not interact well. Dirty Harry was a lovable bastard - Mr. T was a likeable tough-guy - McGarrett just comes across as an angry jerk with little respect for the legal boundaries he is trying to enforce. For example, Dirty Harry and Mr. T could get away with dangling a bad guy over a rooftop by his ankles...McGarreet cannot. In a way, this show reminds me of FlashForward. As much as I liked the show (and it's possibility), people just couldn't identify with the lead character Mark Benford. I think the same is true of this iteration of Steve McGarrett...especially since most people loved Jack Lord.

No they loved Steve McGarrett's hair, not him. It stood in place even in a hurricane and never moved.:p

had low expectations as i thought another remake who cares! But i liked that it wasn't a remake - a keeper.

Same here. I setup my dvr to record it. Wasn't expecting much. Figure it was going to be like all the other police shows on now.

Finally sat down and watched the first to shows and liked it. Glad to see Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim found a new home.

I have the show on the keep list. It is cop show lite and it has nice scenery which they make sure they throw in a lot of gratuitous shots.

Am on it caz of ...

GracePark-500x372.jpg

Anyone having trouble with the sound on this show? It is in Dolby Digital on my local station. The dialogue is very quiet and the surround sound channels overwhelm the dialogue. I have to struggle to hear what they are saying.

I checked-out the latest episode and flipped the channel because Dano kept bitching and whining about McGarrett...just like a pair of 13-year old kids. Seriously, isn't McGarrett his supervisor and a high ranking law enforcement officer? Time to discipline Dano and shut-him-up.

I checked-out the latest episode and flipped the channel because Dano kept bitching and whining about McGarrett...just like a pair of 13-year old kids. Seriously, isn't McGarrett his supervisor and a high ranking law enforcement officer? Time to discipline Dano and shut-him-up.

McGarret isn't even a cop. He is a commander in the Navy. that part is still a little weird. Dano keeps bitching because for the most part McGarrett does whatever he wants, regardless of SOP for law enforcement. :)

I am not sure that McGarrett is still a Navy Commander. In any event McGarrett does seem to outrank Dano at least for the purposes of this Stat task force they seem to be on.

That does raise the question of who works for whom? Is McGarrett still a Naval officer? Ar Dano and Kono still attached to the Honolulu PD and who the heck is paying Chin ho's salary?

I am not sure that McGarrett is still a Navy Commander. In any event McGarrett does seem to outrank Dano at least for the purposes of this Stat task force they seem to be on.

That does raise the question of who works for whom? Is McGarrett still a Naval officer? Ar Dano and Kono still attached to the Honolulu PD and who the heck is paying Chin ho's salary?
In the original series, McGarrett was a Commander in the Naval Reserve, and showed up in uniform now and then. Seems to me that all the shows set in Hawaii like to have a Navy connection with their lead men. It probably helps in getting access to Navy and other military facilities in the islands.

McGarret isn't even a cop. He is a commander in the Navy. that part is still a little weird. Dano keeps bitching because for the most part McGarrett does whatever he wants, regardless of SOP for law enforcement. :)
Very strange...I thought he accepted an appointment from the Governor (HPD Crime/Terror Czar?) during the first episode?

As i pointed out in another post they have been a little vague about the legal status of this. I am not even sure that the group has an official name yet In the first or second episode they said they would have to come up with one. Later they mentioned that McGarrett's old football number was 50 and that it should be pronounced Five Oh Not 50 etc. But if they ever closed the loop on their status I missed it.

So whether Dano officially works for McGarrett or whether he and Kono are somehow on loan to the state and how a disgraced Honolulu cop ever passed a background check I can't say. Maybe Magnum PI or the gang from Hawaiian Eye can tell us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts