HBO/CINEMAX Preview Outrage!!

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Who is stupid idiotic beep beep beep who put HDCP on both the HD and SD HBO/CInemax free preview channels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a popup saying my TV is not compatible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This could be the last straw for me and Dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HDMI and Component are both Blocked!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2003 Toshiba that does not support HDCP. Is anyone else having this issue????????????????

Who is stupid idiotic beep beep beep who put HDCP on both the HD and SD HBO/CInemax free preview channels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a popup saying my TV is not compatible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This could be the last straw for me and Dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HDMI and Component are both Blocked!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2003 Toshiba that does not support HDCP. Is anyone else having this issue????????????????
HBO is the one that is doing it to all their feeds. They are always the 1st to encrypt in some way. They were the very 1st to do it in C band days and have been doing it ever since. It's been that way several months now. You can't even see it in the preview screen if you are looking at the guide (unless you have tuned to it using the EPG).

Seems it's always the fault of Dish with no attempt to find out more. Not to mention it has been discussed with many posts, with solutions.

All of the HBOs work just fine for me via Component and HDMI. I am on Western Arc. I forgot to check Eastern Arc, can anyone on EA confirm whether or not they work on Component?

Also, have heard that having HDMI on TV1 and coax for TV2, TV2 would be unable to access HBO. Is this true?

All of the HBOs work just fine for me via Component and HDMI. I am on Western Arc. I forgot to check Eastern Arc, can anyone on EA confirm whether or not they work on Component?

Also, have heard that having HDMI on TV1 and coax for TV2, TV2 would be unable to access HBO. Is this true?

It is true that HDCP content is only usable on HDMI and DVI compliant connections. All the devices in the chain have to be HDCP compliant for the signal to be processed. I am going to do a little experiment tomorrow and see which channels (on D* that is) don't pop up with the old yellow video connection. Let ya know what happens. I know for a fact that the PPV channels are HDCP protected and I am willing to bet the premium pay channels are also.

Seems it's always the fault of Dish with no attempt to find out more. Not to mention it has been discussed with many posts, with solutions.
not for a free preview..if i was a subscriber I would invest in one of those solutions..I was always able to bypass the restriction with component cables in the past

its the TV.. older ones dont complete the HDCP handshake

i see a new tv in your future.....

Seems Juan there is a complete lack of outrage here, so I'll say I AGREE with you! Since when do the SD outputs get turned off without HDCP? I think this is a bug. Or does Dish expect everybody who wants to watch HBO in SD have to downgrade to an SD receiver? Or is HBO off for them as well? (Can't check here because I'm all HD via HDCP everywhere.)

I'm off to see if I can Sling the HBO channels...

Edit 1: SD outputs of TV2 on my 722 work fine on HBO channels. Just noticed my HD-only guide setting wasn't duplicated on TV2. I have both SD and HD HBO still easily available.

Edit 2: SD outputs of TV1 also seem to be working fine on HBO as shown by my Hava Platinum.

Edit 3: SlingPlayer 2.0.3.508 is playing audio only on channel 300. Hmmm.

Edit 4: DRA is playing audio briefly and then throwing Error 46. TV2 is still sitting (off) on channel 300.

Edit 5: Looks like I can play 299 just fine, but not 300 via DRA/WebSlingPlayer. I've seen errors 43, 44, and 46 while changing channels via the WebSlingPlayer.

I think Mary has a post around here saying you couldn't use the Sling Adapter for HBO or local channels. :( My Hava is looking more and more appealing these days.

Edit 6: My WebSlingPlayer problems playing other stuff (BBMP rentals, other recordings) have gone away now that I've put TV2 on 299 rather than on 300. Same with the SlingPlayer 2.0.3.508 (direct). What a DRM nightmare HBO has become!

Last edited:
So what are you going to do, threaten Dish with leaving unless they buy you a newer tv that will let you see free preview stuff?

I think we all need to vote with our pocketbook against HBO and it's DRM, or else all channel providers will demand it. What's their argument for preventing the Sling Adapter from working anyway?

I was able to Sling HBO from my 922 on my iPhone 4s without a problem. Have you tried using dishonline.com or a mobile app instead of the webslingplayer?
photo.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts