HBO coming to Sling (Expected Launch by Saturday April 11th)

Why say "Saturday" on Wednesday only to say "Now" on Thursday? :confused:

Maybe they realized that people who were going to add this for the premiere of Game of Thrones on Sunday were going to turn to other options before this was made available on Saturday. For people who aren't following the news closely, launching 1 day prior to HBO's biggest programming doesn't leave much time for people to find out about this.

Reactions: TheKrell
Who added HBO? How many HBO channels and what else is included?
Stable? Pic quality?

Need input!

I haven't added it but from what I read, you get 1 live HBO channel with up to 3 active streams at a time plus the HBO on demand library. Not sure if that means the full HBO Go type experience where you get basically every HBO series or if it's just more current on demand content.

Edit: I should have said I don't have Sling TV. I phrased that weirdly when I responded.

Whats the over under for HBO crashing Sunday night? IIRC, HBO is 0-2 in the last two years.

There is a decent chance that HBO Go, HBO Now, and Sling TV all have overload issues Sunday night. We'll see how much Sling TV did to beef up their network after March Madness brought it down last week.

I do think I remember reading that HBO was switching from their own servers to letting MLB Advanced Media handle it to avoid the issues they have had with Game of Thrones in the past. They have a lot of experience running MLB.tv, WWE Network, WatchESPN, and a ton of other live streaming services so maybe they can get the job done.

Reactions: TheKrell
Who added HBO? How many HBO channels and what else is included?
Stable? Pic quality?

Need input!
It is the one live hbo channel, and it appears to be everything included on demand that HBO go gives you. I know the few things I checked between the two were the same content.

Have not checked at home yet, but using dsl at my office on the iphone is decent quality. I would imagine on my home net the quality will be comparable to sat service delivered HBO.

Selection is strange. Game of Thrones seems to all be there. Silion Valley there are only 2 episodes from seaosn 1 (like 2 and 3) so that is a bummer. They are missing episode 1 from Season 3 of Veep but all others are there. I hope they are still getting it all up there.

Looks like True Detective is also missing. So they said they didn't need to provide access to HBO Go but it looks like there are some things missing. Kinda sucks.

Last edited:
Looks like True Detective is also missing. So they said they didn't need to provide access to HBO Go but it looks like there are some things missing. Kinda sucks.
I have access to "True Detective" on my AppleTV:
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1428633501.321803.jpg

And (I'm assuming) all ten episodes of "Veep"...

I noticed true detective as well on my roku. If you are missing them, did you do a manual search for the show?

I noticed true detective as well on my roku. If you are missing them, did you do a manual search for the show?
Search from the Roku home or Search in the Sling app?

No I was scrolling through the list. Didn't see it in the Xbox One app or on Roku. I will try the search from within the Sling app. But there still seems to be a ton of things missing. Movies that I see on the HBO website as being on HBO Go but not in the Sling VOD. And Sling even said they didn't need to provide us with a HBO Go login because the VOD would be the same. I hope its just a bug in displaying the VOD content (like the one missing episode from Veep, so strange). So maybe a search will uncover them. I might have to just go with HBO Now since it seems like a better catalog, its just more of a pain to get on my TV.

For info, HBO Go is not part of the HBO Now deal at all.

Yes I know. We have three separate products here : Sling HBO, HBO Now, HBO Go. Sling HBO is the closest to the HBO offered by cable companies (Live channel, VOD). The difference is that with most cable companies they include HBO Go with the subscription. Sling is not because they said thier VOD content is the same and it would be redundant (and they added the ability to have 3 streams). From what I have seen about HBO Now is that the selection is the same or very close to HBO Go. What I am saying is that the Sling HBO VOD is missing content that is on HBO Go and HBO Now and that is sucks they are not offering HBO Go with the sub.

Yes I know. We have three separate products here : Sling HBO, HBO Now, HBO Go. Sling HBO is the closest to the HBO offered by cable companies (Live channel, VOD). The difference is that with most cable companies they include HBO Go with the subscription. Sling is not because they said thier VOD content is the same and it would be redundant (and they added the ability to have 3 streams). From what I have seen about HBO Now is that the selection is the same or very close to HBO Go. What I am saying is that the Sling HBO VOD is missing content that is on HBO Go and HBO Now and that is sucks they are not offering HBO Go with the sub.

I agree that HBO Go access would be nice. If nothing else it would be a backup for cases where Sling TV can't handle demand and in cases like this where people are having trouble finding some of the content.

Remember that HBO on Sling TV has only been up for a day though. If there are issues with missing or hard to find content it will likely be fixed once they have a few days to work on it.

Out of curiosity, does HBO on Sling TV support 5.1 audio? HBO Go didn't originally but when they added it there was really nothing about HBO Go I found to be worse than the cable/satellite delivered product. I'm not sure I've heard anything about 5.1 audio on Sling TV period but so far HBO would be the only thing I would really find it necessary for.

I agree that HBO Go access would be nice. If nothing else it would be a backup for cases where Sling TV can't handle demand and in cases like this where people are having trouble finding some of the content.

Remember that HBO on Sling TV has only been up for a day though. If there are issues with missing or hard to find content it will likely be fixed once they have a few days to work on it.

Out of curiosity, does HBO on Sling TV support 5.1 audio? HBO Go didn't originally but when they added it there was really nothing about HBO Go I found to be worse than the cable/satellite delivered product. I'm not sure I've heard anything about 5.1 audio on Sling TV period but so far HBO would be the only thing I would really find it necessary for.

Yeah I am hoping they are in the process of getting it all on there. I have sent an email and tweeted to@slinganswers because with all the HBO content that is on there they might not even know some things are missing.

I believe the Sling App itself is only stereo. But I can't be 100% sure. I don't think it shows up as DD on my receiver or anything.

But from the press release Sling is supposed to have what HBO Go has (at least it sounds that way) :
"The new offering features HBO’s main live channel and will include the same VOD library HBO provides on its other platforms; Sling TV will begin adding HBO’s VOD titles today."

So it depends on what "platforms" means. I read that as the Go and Now platforms along with the cable company VOD library.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)