HD America Gold

BearcatScott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Springboro, OH
I have AEP +Platinum and I am thinking of moving to HD America Gold + Platinum. My question is I don't want to lose my regional Fox Sports so I can receive Cincinnati sports such as the Reds. Is the HD version of the regional Fox Sports channel included with HD America Gold?

I have AEP +Platinum and I am thinking of moving to HD America Gold + Platinum. My question is I don't want to lose my regional Fox Sports so I can receive Cincinnati sports such as the Reds. Is the HD version of the regional Fox Sports channel included with HD America Gold?

I could be wrong, but I understand that current "HD america" customers are gradfathered and those packages are no longer available to new or existing customers.

Thanks, gopherscot. I guess the only problem is when the Reds are not carried in HD on Dish. Is there a link to what channels are on HD America Gold? I couldn't find one.

I could be wrong, but I understand that current "HD america" customers are gradfathered and those packages are no longer available to new or existing customers.
That's the first I've heard of this lately. I know some CSRs has tried to claim that in the past, but then others seem to have no problem signing up new and existing customers with this HD-only packages.

So does anyone have reasons not to go to HD America Gold + Platinum instead of 250 + Platinum? I would lose some SD only channels but I don't think I watch them hardly at all anyway. My main concern is missing Cincinnati Reds games on FSN Ohio that are not in HD, but I could live with that for $10 less a month. I don't see HD America Gold on Dish's website. I'm guessing you have to call to get it?

I don't think you can get platinum with the Dish America packages. I've tried and the CSR's always tell me its not possible. Also, just be aware of all the "new" HD channels you'll lose.

So does anyone have reasons not to go to HD America Gold + Platinum instead of 250 + Platinum? I would lose some SD only channels but I don't think I watch them hardly at all anyway. My main concern is missing Cincinnati Reds games on FSN Ohio that are not in HD, but I could live with that for $10 less a month. I don't see HD America Gold on Dish's website. I'm guessing you have to call to get it?

You do get the SD version of each HD channel. In the multi sports pack if the game is not in HD it is still in SD. My only problem with dish America is I am a fan of Fox News and that was a killer for me to miss.

You do get the SD version of each HD channel.
That is mostly true, but there are several exceptions. I know we don't get the Disney Channel in SD -- only HD. I realized this when I wanted to change my son's recurring recordings to the SD channel (to save space on the DVR).

Here is are the Dish America (TurboHD) Silver channels:
A&E
ABC Family
Animal Planet
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CBS College Sports
CMT
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
Discovery
Disney Channel
Disney XD
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPNews
Food Network
Fox Sports Midwest
Golf Channel
HD Theater
HDNet
HGTV
History
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
NBA TV
NFL Network
Palladia
Spike
SyFy
TBS
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
USA
Weather Channel
WGN America

I might have missed one here or there. I do know the Gold adds VersusHD, but I'm not sure what else.

I know you do NOT get HBO and Showtime as part of Gold. You might get one HD Encore channel though. Furthermore, I suspect the entire list is wrong because I don't believe Epic, Indie, & Retro are included either.

I think Gold only adds the following channels (to the Silver list above):

• Biography Channel
  • Encore HD
  • National Geographic HD
  • Planet Green HD
  • Science Channel HD
  • Tennis Channel HD
  • Versus HD

My single biggest disappointment with Dish America was losing my Platinum channels. I had reconciled myself to losing all of the News Corp channels (except for NatGeo in Gold), but losing HDNet Movies, UniHD, and MGMHD was almost more than I could bear.

Well, currently I have AEP +Platinum. I am going to wait till after June 3 to see what shakes out with all the packages. Platinum is a must if I am to drop all of the pay movie channels. Epix, Retro, and Indie have been great additions and makes it easier to drop HBO et al. I will miss the series on HBO and SHO but I'll just wait till they come to DVD and rent them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts