HD and tailgating -Probably wont...but...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Read enough on the fourms to learn that trying to get a true HD signal for tailgating is probaby not worth the effort. Being a big tailgater, would love to improve the experience nevertheless. I can get setup in minutes with my current setup.

My question is......Can I take my HD20 receiver and hookup to my single LNB dish? Looking to use the better video outputs of the receiver because I have upgraded my tailgating TV.

Thanks!!

Read enough on the fourms to learn that trying to get a true HD signal for tailgating is probaby not worth the effort. Being a big tailgater, would love to improve the experience nevertheless. I can get setup in minutes with my current setup.

My question is......Can I take my HD20 receiver and hookup to my single LNB dish? Looking to use the better video outputs of the receiver because I have upgraded my tailgating TV.

Thanks!!
Your single LNB is not capable of receiving the HD signals that Directv transmits. You would need the regular Slimiline HD Antenna. With a small tripod, you could mount the antenna and aim it and enjoy your party. If you have the budget, Winegard, Motosat and a few others make HD antennas that automatically aim themselves.

If you are using your HD20, why not use the HDMI output into your tv (if available), otherwise, the component outputs will work.

Thanks!!

You certainly can use the single LNB round dish - change the hardware setting in the box to round single, line up on 101 - and away you go. (Don't forget to change it back when you bring the box back home)

That said, if you are a regular and serious tailgater - get a Slimline for your tripod. Practice alignment in your driveway - it certainly isn't rocket science. After practice you can get the alignment down to under 10 minutes.

HD will REALLY improve your tailgating experience!

Guys... thanks for the response and info. (And especially for calling me out on being a serious tailgater ;-) I am a regular tailgater... I guess not serious enough...lol

Where can I get a Slimline? Any need to buy any additional equipment to help the lining up? (I have the standard compass to get me lined up in general direction). I especially like the idea of the thing lining itself up, but not sure I an justify those $$$ just for tailgating.

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Here's what I did. I bought a Slimline dish with a SWM-3 LNB off E-bay. I have it mounted on a tripod for use when I take it in my Motorhome. I bought a R-22 receiver from Newegg and downloaded the new software which makes it HD. It took me a while to get dish set up first time but now takes about 15 min with a little help from this forum. Now have HD for use in my Motorhome without having to spend $1600 for a roof top mounted dish. Very happy with setup.
Joe

I agree. As long as the pole is plumb and you have all of your settings, you should be able to lock in a Slimline for tailgating. I aligned a Slimline by using the settings they recommend on dishpointer, then found 101. 99 and 103 had over 80% before I even started any further adjusting. For tailgating it would be just fine with those settings. I've seen the Slimline dishes on the local craigslist ranging from $20 - $50. For that price it's not even worth messing with the pizza pans.

Going with the Slimline setup and dialing in 101,99 and 103, should there be any channels I wont get? Some local channels perhaps?

Guys... thanks for the response and info. (And especially for calling me out on being a serious tailgater ;-) I am a regular tailgater... I guess not serious enough...lol

Where can I get a Slimline? Any need to buy any additional equipment to help the lining up? (I have the standard compass to get me lined up in general direction). I especially like the idea of the thing lining itself up, but not sure I an justify those $$$ just for tailgating.

Thanks!!
Check with some of our Gold Sponsors at the top of the page, you can get an inexpensive signal meter that will help and should be able to get a Slimline from some of them also... :)

Going with the Slimline setup and dialing in 101,99 and 103, should there be any channels I wont get? Some local channels perhaps?

You ARE a serious tailgater! Congrats.

As others have said, your local Craig's List is a great source for dishes since shipping is a killer (oversized). Have seen new around here for about $80 and used from $25.

You should still get your locals as long as you are within +/- 125 miles from home (some spotbeams are stronger than others - your mileage WILL vary).

Depending on which Slimline LNB you get (SWM or not) will dictate your alignment procedures. If your current HD box has a BBC attached, then you should be looking for a non-SWM LNB. You probably aren't going to find SWM's on Craig's anyway as they are pretty new.

Plan on setting that puppy up a few times in the driveway at home. You can use the sig meter on the box - no need for you to nail all 100% since I assume you aren't going to tailgate in a typhoon anyway.

Let us know what dish you get and we will give you a real simple primer on alignment.

I bought my Slimline dish and SWM-3 LNB with power supply and splitter for $95 with free shipping off Ebay

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)