HD Channel List: Dish Network vs DirectTV

Did you click the bar at the top of the pictures I posted to enlarge them?

No I did not.

Now that you have mentioned it, I find it turns the mouse or cursor into a magnifying glass if I put it over the lists and will enlarge them if I then click on it.

Thanks alot!

No I did not.

Now that you have mentioned it, I find it turns the mouse or cursor into a magnifying glass if I put it over the lists and will enlarge them if I then click on it.

Thanks alot!

Below the 2nd picture there is 2 links for higher quality versions you can download.

If you would have read, some of those I mentioned are on Dish as well, so it was not directed at a provider, it was directed at the channel itself, so you get over it.

UPDATE: Added HDNet, Universal, Discovery HD Theater, FSN Midwest & FSN Pittsburg to DirectTV channel list.

Redwing created a great layout of the channels in Excel. I copied the spreadsheet over to Google Docs and made some edits. You can see the spreadsheet via the link below.

Dish Network vs DirectTV: HD Chanel List (Google Docs)

Above changes are reflected in my first post. I will combine Redwings work with the spreadsheet into my first post when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.

UPDATE: Added HDNet, Universal, Discovery HD Theater, FSN Midwest & FSN Pittsburg to DirectTV channel list.

Redwing created a great layout of the channels in Excel. I copied the spreadsheet over to Google Docs and made some edits. You can see the spreadsheet via the link below.

Dish Network vs DirectTV: HD Chanel List (Google Docs)

Above changes are reflected in my first post. I will combine Redwings work with the spreadsheet into my first post when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.
Still need to make some changes to the sports channels. Golf/Verses is the same as Verses/Golf but you have it listed for Dish twice ,Same thing with Sports Net New York,which is the Same as SNY,and FSN Pittsburgh is listed twice for Dish. Also E* RSN' HDs Aren't available to all areas and D* are. I also don't think E* has more then about 6 HD RSN's,and None are fulltime,Games only, So I'd like to see some proof. Here's Directvs list. DIRECTV: Superior HD Programming - All HD Channels

Well I found my own proof.DISH Network -- Dish HD Unless you have the 129 satellite you can't receive all the RSN,HD. With 61.5 satellite you don't get squat. Also your only aloud certain RSN HD based on your area. With D* Sports pack and HD access you can receive all the HD RSN"S that they have to offer, From anywhere in the country. So maybe you should state that most of the RSN's on E* aren't available to everyone.

Last edited:
Nice list, however I would like this broken down into which of these channels are included in varies E* and D* package's, ie AT100/200/250/AEP w/Dish HD, Choice/Choice xtra/Premium w/HD Access, which are add ons, premiums etc for example. Also as previously mentioned by other posters here, the percentage of true HD programs on these HD channels. RSN's should indicate game only or full time HD, and if full time HD, what percentage.

Directv vs Dishnetwork HD channel lists

Thanks for the comparisons between Dish and Directv in terms of HD line-up. Although I love the Voom channels, I will be leaving Dish and going back to Directv (had them from 2002-2005 then went to ill-fated Voom) if Dish is unwilling or unable to match directv in HD channel acquisiton. My original contract (18 months) would have ended this November but adding a second VIP 622 in Feb has extended my contract to August 2008. I think I would have to pay $13.33 per month shy of Aug 2008 in early termination fees. Hmmmmmm.......that is about $133 if I left today. I would like to stick with Dish long enough to see if they will match Directv and when. Scott or anybody........is there any hope in the near term (like by April) of a barrage of new HD channels by Dish? I asked them online by email but, as usual, I got not response when I send Dish customer service an email.
Thanks
Wayne

List average HD content by each one. ie: TWC 1 hour daily, SCI-Fi 2 seconds, A & E CSI only, TBS, 1 hour a week, TBS, 1 Hour a month, Speed, none, cartoon, none
SciFi doesn't have as much HD as USA, but it does show a number of shows in HD. I think you are short changing it. If you want to harp on channel that doesn't show any HD, complain about FXHD. I've yet to see a single HD show on FXHD.

The only channels that D has that I would like to see Dish add are Scifi HD, The Starz pack of HD, USA HD and FX HD.

The true number of HD from Scott

Posted by Scott Greczkowski on October 22, 2007
It has been said that advertising is a license to lie. We have been seeing a lot of lying as of late from both satellite companies. But to call both companies’ liars is a little harsh, so I guess I will say instead that both companies are playing a numbers game.

DirecTV claims “now over 70 HD channels” are available, and DirecTV’s archrival Dish Network is putting out press releases and newspaper ads claiming “75 channels, leading the industry in HD.”

But this folks is a numbers game. There is no Dish Network or DirecTV customer anywhere receiving anything close to 70 HD channels. In fact if you look at the channels offered and you had the programming package, which included all the channels, you could possibly get, you would be lucky if you received 45 channels in HD.

Let’s take a look at the real numbers for both providers:

DirecTV (Source DirecTV.COM)

National HD Channels (included in current HD package): 35*
Subscription Pay TV HD Channels: 12
Regional HD Sports Networks: 9
HD Pay Per View Channels: 8
Distant Network Channels in HD: 8
Total HD channels: 72 (*Golf HD and Versus HD are listed as two separate channels on DirecTV’s website, but share one actual channel)

Dish Network (Source DishNetwork.COM)

National HD Channels (included in current HD package): 36
Subscription Pay TV HD Channels: 4
Regional HD Sports Networks: 22
HD Pay Per View Channels: 9
Distant Network Channels in HD: 0
Total HD Channels: 71

Ok now that we have that broken down, how many channels will most people get?

On DirecTV they will get the 35 national HD channels, maybe a RSN or two, which brings us to 37, and if they are in an area where HD locals, or HD Distant Network are available this brings the count to 41 channels they could get from DirecTV. If the customer subscribes to all the pay channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) this number grows to 52.

I don’t count Pay Per View channels, since no one subscribes to them 24/7.

On the Dish Network side of things customers can get all 36 national HD channels, and maybe 2 HD regional sports networks. (Note: Dish only carries game time broadcasts of the RSN’s these are not full time HD channels) Dish Network does not offer HD Distant Network service, however if Dish offers your locals in HD that brings the count up to 42 HD channels available to the customer. If the customer subscribes to all the premium channels this number grows to 46 HD channels.

As you can see from both providers this is much less then the 70+ HD channels being advertised.

Now while the numbers may be in DirecTV’s favor you need to take a look at the actual HD channels themselves. Many of these new HD channels do not currently show any programs in HD, while others only air an hour or two a day of true HD content. Just because a channel is called HD does not mean that what is being shown on those channels is HD.

If you had the count the amount of hours between both companies that show true HD broadcasts, Dish Network would come out ahead of DirecTV because of their 14 VOOM channels that transmit real HD programming 24/7.

To make matters even more confusing DirecTV will soon be moving a number of existing HD channels out of it’s $9.99 HD package, and will be moving them to a new package which customers will need to pay an additional $4.99 a month to continue receiving these channels.

As you can see it truly is a big numbers game.
Comments (0)

A Plea to Echostar

It has been said that advertising is a license to lie. We have been seeing a lot of lying as of late from both satellite companies. But to call both companies’ liars is a little harsh, so I guess I will say instead that both companies are playing a numbers game.

OK. Lets call it false advertising. Another name for a liar.:) Both are guilty as hell and are playing the public like we are idiots. Do they think we are that stupid??:D

DirecTV claims “now over 70 HD channels” are available, and DirecTV’s archrival Dish Network is putting out press releases and newspaper ads claiming “75 channels, leading the industry in HD.”

But this folks is a numbers game. There is no Dish Network or DirecTV customer anywhere receiving anything close to 70 HD channels. In fact if you look at the channels offered and you had the programming package, which included all the channels, you could possibly get, you would be lucky if you received 45 channels in HD.

This is not true - the example where a DirecTV customer gets all of the movie channels would ALSO get the Sports Pack - this is the Premier package. I get OVER 60 HD channels myself.

A Premier package customer with HD locals would get the following HD channels:
1) A&E
2) Animal Planet
3) Discovery
4) HD Theatre
5) Food
6) HDNet
7) HGTV
8) History
9) MHD
10) National Geographic
11) Science
12) TBS
13) TLC
14) TNT
15) Universal
16) Bravo
17) Cartoon Network
18) FX
19) MGM
20) SciFi
21) Smithsonian
22) USA
23) CNN
24) CNBC
25) Fox Business
26) The Weather Channel
27) HDNet Movies
28) Cinemax East
29) HBO East
30) Showtime East
31) Starz East
32) Cinemax West
33) HBO West
34) Movie Channel
35) SHO Too
36) Showtime West
37) Starz Comedy
38) Starz Edge
39) Starz Kids and Family
40) Starz West
41) Big 10
42) CSN Chicago
43) CSN Mid-atlantic
44) ESPN
45) ESPN2
46) FSN Detriot
47) FSN Midwest (part-time)
48) FSN Pittsburgh (part-time)
49) FSN Prime Ticket
50) FSN Southwest
51) FSN West
52) SNY
53) VS/Golf
54) Fuel
55) NESN
56) Speed
57) YES
58) Local ABC
59) Local CBS
60) Local Fox
61) Local NBC

OK. Lets call it false advertising. Another name for a liar.:) Both are guilty as hell and are playing the public like we are idiots. Do they think we are that stupid??:D

The average person is 'stupid' to this type of advertising. All they need to see is one company making a claim and consider it fact. That is who DirecTv is marketing toward. You, I, and most people on this site will see through the BS and understand actually what they are offering.

By the time these 'stupid' customers realize the truth, its usually too late. DirecTv/Dish have them locked in a contract for a year or two and they can't bail out (Unless they want to pay).

Dish should advertise that DirecTv is full of sh*t and call them out on the actual numbers. Play hardball just like cable companies did with their "Ditch the Dish" campaigns making it sound like everytime the wind blows you lose your signal. That really sunk in for many people and to this day you'll hear people use that excuse as why they don't have satellite.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black. I just listed 61 HD channels that I get.

Both Dish and Direct are claiming their HD PPV channels - and that is 8 each - so how can DISH call them out? With those 8 I now have 69 channels. That is pretty darn close to 70 I would say,

Now, in reverse, a customer taking the highest level DISH package, how many HD channels would they get? I'm thinking that with locals they would only get about 40 MAX - That compares to the 61 that I now get. Not too bad, huh?

That would be the pot calling the kettle black.

Of course it would during their current campaign. But get away from the "We offer XX HD channels (Which is filled with some BS)" and move toward "The other guys are feeding you BS" and they may win some customers over.

I think in the long run the battle will be between who offers the most HD that a subscriber can actually get that is truly HD and not just some sports package that don't show any games.

Now, in reverse, a customer taking the highest level DISH package, how many HD channels would they get? I'm thinking that with locals they would only get about 40 MAX - That compares to the 61 that I now get. Not too bad, huh?

61 is pretty nice. To me it really doesn't matter though about how many. Its about the content and if they carry the stations I prefer. Dish and Direct both meet my requirements (But Dish has pulled ahead with offering CI-HD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)