HD Channels; 4:3 --> 16:9 Stretch

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
I've noticed that many programs on some Dish HD channels are 4:3 programs streched out to 16:9. This looks pretty bad... everyone is short & fat, wheels on cars are ovals, and the overall feel is just wrong. It's so bad, that I find myself watching the SD version so that I can have the correct aspect ratio.

If you don't have a pillar box option on your TV, there's no way to correct this. I realize that there are people that find it offensive to have any black bars on their screen. But wouldn't it make more sense to present the program in its proper aspect ratio? It seems to me that just about every 16:9 HDTV set has the "stretch" option built in. But not all have the "pillar box" option.

If the program was presented in the proper A/R, those of us who are more concered with a correct picture could enjoy the show. The "black bar haters" could still do the stretch, and they could enjoy the show. The way it is right now, only one group gets to enjoy the show.

I don't even know who's stretching the picture... Dish or the providers. But it would sure be nice if whoever is doing it would reconsider.

Cheers

I've noticed that many programs on some Dish HD channels are 4:3 programs streched out to 16:9. This looks pretty bad... everyone is short & fat, wheels on cars are ovals, and the overall feel is just wrong. It's so bad, that I find myself watching the SD version so that I can have the correct aspect ratio.

If you don't have a pillar box option on your TV, there's no way to correct this. I realize that there are people that find it offensive to have any black bars on their screen. But wouldn't it make more sense to present the program in its proper aspect ratio? It seems to me that just about every 16:9 HDTV set has the "stretch" option built in. But not all have the "pillar box" option.

If the program was presented in the proper A/R, those of us who are more concered with a correct picture could enjoy the show. The "black bar haters" could still do the stretch, and they could enjoy the show. The way it is right now, only one group gets to enjoy the show.

I don't even know who's stretching the picture... Dish or the providers. But it would sure be nice if whoever is doing it would reconsider.

Cheers

It's not dish's doing it is the provider that is doing the stretch-o-vision. This has been griped about over & over.

Seen what you describe a couple of times.. agreed its annoying.. what I end up doing is either watch the non HD channel or changing the format (bottom left on the remote the * button doubles for format)

Though I've also found that family members not realizing the format button is there, have inadvertently pressed said button ... and I point it out to them on the Banner display (hit cancel a couple times till the banner appears) and under the left hand "Date/Time/Mode" box, it shows Normal, Stretch, etc..

And I must say the 211 with dual output hooked up to both 4:3 and 16:9 tv's does pretty nicely at getting things on the proper set in respective aspect ratios.. :)

What channels ? Well, actually it doesn't matter as I'm 99% positive that Dish doesn't do the stretching. If you say it's Bravo, for instance, well, that's their way of claiming "Yes, we have an HD channel !". And not to defend them, but two reasons they may be doing this are a) they don't have the content in "HD" format and/or b) they get complaints that the picture doesn't fill the viewer's screen.

I like what some channels such as Science Channel do which is to zoom in to cut off the top and bottom of the 4:3 image a little bit, while reducing the black bars, and maintaining the proper aspect ratio. Sometimes I still just switch to the SD just 'cause I like seeing everything. Still though, that method beats the hell outta stretching.

I prefer as OP stated though, for them to keep SD content in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio, with no extra stretching or even zooming. That way I can do whatever I please with the picture.

...what I end up doing is... changing the format (bottom left on the remote the * button doubles for format)...

LOL!! I thought that was a shortcut to format the hard drive. I've been real careful not to push it. LOL

...and I point it out to them on the Banner display (hit cancel a couple times till the banner appears) and under the left hand "Date/Time/Mode" box, it shows Normal, Stretch, etc..

And I must say the 211 with dual output hooked up to both 4:3 and 16:9 tv's does pretty nicely at getting things on the proper set in respective aspect ratios.. :)

Thanks for that. The 211k is what I have... and I do have it hooked up to an SDTV CRT via S-video, and an HDTV via HDMI. I knew about the HD/SD zooming via page up & down, but not about the format button.

As far as what channels do this... I've noticed it on History, Hist Int'l, and Food for sure. It seems like there are others, but I know those three off the top of my head. Funny thing is, if the next show was shot in 16:9... it'll be properly provided. It's just the ole 4:3 stuff that they do it to.

Cheers

If the program was presented in the proper A/R, those of us who are more concered with a correct picture could enjoy the show.
We all have issues that we choose to create for ourselves. If you are in desperate need of someone to pillory, consider blaming the CRT and early plasma TV users who made burn-in their idealistic crusade.

In this case, it is more than likely that your issue is with the programmer, not the carrier.

We all have issues that we choose to create for ourselves...

I'm not the one stretching the picture, so I didn't create the issue for myself.

...If you are in desperate need of someone to pillory, consider blaming the CRT and early plasma TV users who made burn-in their idealistic crusade...

Nope, no desperation or the "need of someone to pillory" to be found here. Just stating a preference & looking for a solution. Considering the useful info that was provided by TG2, I'd say this thread was a fruitful venture for me.

Cheers

I myself have noticed some channels are "reversed" from time to time. I noticed on MTV a while ago (and maybe its fixed by now) that the HD channel (per the guide) had the SD feed and vice versa. It was strange, but there was a significant PQ difference in favor of the SD "channel" which is how I came to that assumption that the feeds were reversed rather then the channels in the guide not being labeled correctly. Also, the HD and SD feeds of a few others have been noted intermittently. If you notice a similar thing to this, please let me know channel specifics and what satellite they come from (Menu-Menu). I can duplicate ANY setup (EA/WA/Hybrid) here so providing the satellite that the channels come from would be beneficial.

I brought this up because the OP mentioned a similar issue to what I had when I started looking into it. Being that I am not sure of the "who's doing it" portion I would like to get this where it needs to go so that we can find out for certain.

I'm not the one stretching the picture, so I didn't create the issue for myself.
When you used the phrase "those of us who are concerned with a correct picture", you implied a movement if not a crusade.

For its part, the human brain can adapt to seeing things upside down.

...and under the left hand "Date/Time/Mode" box, it shows Normal, Stretch, etc...

Tried this last night... doggone it... it seems to only work on the HDTV. The SD outputs only zoom with no A/R changes.

When you used the phrase "those of us who are concerned with a correct picture", you implied a movement if not a crusade...

ROTFL! Speaking of stretches... that's quite a stretch.

Cheers

harshness said:
When you used the phrase "those of us who are concerned with a correct picture", you implied a movement if not a crusade.

For its part, the human brain can adapt to seeing things upside down.

The brain already sees images upside down and flips them. :)

The brain already sees images upside down and flips them. :)

Ah but the really amazing thing is, if you put lenses on both eyes that turned everything upside down after as little as a week your brain would adapt and everything would be right side up! Read about George M. Stratton, psycologist.

How can anyone watch something stretched. My cousin has a CRT HDTV hooked up to a DirecTV SD receiver and everything he watches is stretched. He has a good surround system with booming sound yet the picture looks horrible. He had on Transformers with a SD picture stretched. I could not believe how bad it was. All of his sports he watches stretched too.

When I went to my doctors they had a new Vizio LCD HDTV hooked up to a SD Time Warner receiver and everything is stretched. This is what I feel like saying to these fools to not bother buying a HDTV if all you are going to watch on it is SD stretched. Waste of time and money.

How can anyone watch something stretched. My cousin has a CRT HDTV hooked up to a DirecTV SD receiver and everything he watches is stretched. He has a good surround system with booming sound yet the picture looks horrible. He had on Transformers with a SD picture stretched. I could not believe how bad it was. All of his sports he watches stretched too.

When I went to my doctors they had a new Vizio LCD HDTV hooked up to a SD Time Warner receiver and everything is stretched. This is what I feel like saying to these fools to not bother buying a HDTV if all you are going to watch on it is SD stretched. Waste of time and money.

I have not seen a non HD tv or a non wide screen tv for sale in any store for a couple of years now.

but right now they dont carry it...
Oooh, a channel that E* carries that D* doesn't :D. In all seriousness, the networks are the ones who put this crap up there and call it an "HD channel". You can't point the finger at E* or D* or any carrier. All the carriers will add the channel so they can claim to carry 'x' number of channels, content, resolution, or PQ be damned...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)