HD Duo DVR

Ira Lacher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I'm always keeping my options open as to my satellite service. I was a DISH sub for 9 years before moving to DirecTV in September 2007. But I'm always looking to save money. So I have been calling DISH to ask about post-promotion prices, and have been getting different answers.

I have three TVs: 1 HD, 2 SD. I want DVR service on all three. The CSR says the HD Duo DVR would seem to save a good chunk of equipment fee, since it can control two TVs. But I don't want additional holes bored through my home. Here are my questions:

1. Do the two TVs governed by the Duo need to be hard-wired to the same receiver? (The CSR I talked with this morning said no; all others I have talked with said yes.)

2. Can each of the TVs controlled by the HD Duo operate independently? In other words, can I:
a. On HD TV, watch one channel and record a second at the same time, and
b. On SD TV controlled by the Duo watch a third channel and record a fourth at the same time?
3. Is there an up-front equipment charge?

4. Is there an upgrade fee, say, if I add a second HD TV and want to add an additional HD DVR receiver?

I have gotten different answers just about each time I have called either DISH directly or a provider. Also, I have gotten different post-promotional prices, which have galled me no end. So I am appealing to the experts on this board! Thanks!

1. Yes
2. No (ignoring OTA antenna capabilities) - only 2 Satellite Tuners = 2 independent view/record
3. don't know
4. don't know

I have always refused to use the dual tuner HD DVRs for 2 TVs. I've a 722 in the living room and a 622 in the bedroom, both in single mode so I can view/record 3 things at once on each TV (2 Satellite Tuners, 1 OTA Tuner).

Thanks. I don't want more holes bored in my walls/floors. And the additional receiver fee pushes up the post-promotion cost to about what I'm paying for DirecTV. Thanks for your help!

Ira - you ARE aware that unless you sub to AEP, you're going to get dinged a DVR charge on EACH box. Since D* ONLY charges it one time, I would think that, assuming you were to go with more than 1 dual-tuner DVR, these extra fees would negate much savings from switching from D*.

Yes, that's why when I did the math it turned out that the cost saving was only a couple of dollars. However, I thought that DISH had changed their pricing structure -- guess not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts