HD-DVR has not received guide information; HD Receiver working perfectly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blackfaded

Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hi all,

My Living Room HD-DVR box has been acting up lately. It always shows "Regular Schedule" for every channel in the guide. And while watching TV, the error message "Your receiver has not received guide information for x hours" shows up periodically. This seemed to just happen out of the blue one day. It's possible it may have been weather related. I have an HD Receiver in my bedroom which performs perfectly with no problems.

Every few hours, the HD-DVR reboots on its own, at which point the guide information temporarily returns. It goes back to "Regular Schedule" within an hour. Also upon a reboot, some channels that I know I have (and work on the bedroom receiver) are greyed out. I get an error message about permissions when I try to switch to them.

When I run a system test either receiver, I get Cannot Detect Internet (71-73-011) and Cannot Detect Network or Phone Dial Tone (71-73-011). I don't care about internet/phone, but I'm posting these for the possibility they are related to my problem.

I've dug as deeply as I could into directv's troubleshooter (rebooting receivers, re-sending authorization, repeating satellite setup - both receivers are set to the same type of dish). I also swapped the boxes and the problem stays only with the HD-DVR box. I'm trying to avoid a service call. Any ideas on what's causing this? Is it possible the problem is anything other than the HD-DVR Living Room box?

:welcome to Satelliteguys blackfaded!

Do you have the dvr on a power strip? That could be the problem. You may also have a bad lnb. Have you checked all of the connections? How about your signal strength numbers? Can you post all of them on all of the satellites?

Sorry for the late reply. Virtually the same results on Tuner 2. To summarize, most everything is 75-95, but the following show "0": #4, #12, and #20 on 101; #2 on 99s; #2 on SWM; and #1, #2, #3, #4, #15, #23, and #24 on 103s.

IMG_20130921_134654_046.jpgIMG_20130921_134726_987.jpgIMG_20130921_135323_423.jpgIMG_20130921_142833_820.jpgIMG_20130921_142934_631.jpgIMG_20130921_143521_699.jpgIMG_20130921_143549_833.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. Virtually the same results on Tuner 2. To summarize, most everything is 75-95, but the following show "0": #4, #12, and #20 on 101; #2 on 99s; #2 on SWM; and #1, #2, #3, #4, #15, #23, and #24 on 103s.

View attachment 91384View attachment 91385View attachment 91386View attachment 91387View attachment 91388View attachment 91389View attachment 91390

Your numbers on the 99 and 103 (non spotbeam ones) are a little low, but I don't think thats the problem, you have a picture so your good in that regard.

As for connections, I think seeing the trouble moved with your recvr, I'm leaning towards a bad recvr.

If the LNB was bad you would think you would see the same thing on both recvrs.

What dish are you using ? Are both recvrs set up seeing the same dish type ? (thinking SL3 vs SL5)

Like Jimbo said, your numbers on 99c and 103ca/cb are low, but probably not the issue. You should get the dish realigned however since you will lose your picture quicker in rain or heavy snow. I still suspect your lnb. I had the same situation and a swap out fixed it.

Another thing you could try and if you call in they'll have you try (at least for me they did) is reset everything. You'll lose everything timers, recording, favorites, etc. if that doesn't fix I'd say the DVR is going bad.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm using an SL3 and both receivers are set to it. It wouldn't be cables or power strip because the problem stayed with the receiver when I moved it without cables. Do you guys think it's worth it to just make a service call on it? I have no protection plan through Directv, and the contract expires in March 2014. I feel like the technician would have a hard time diagnosing and/or require a follow up visit to install a new receiver which I might also get charged for.

?Thanks for all of your help so far.

I'm using an SL3 and both receivers are set to it. It wouldn't be cables or power strip because the problem stayed with the receiver when I moved it without cables. Do you guys think it's worth it to just make a service call on it? I have no protection plan through Directv, and the contract expires in March 2014. I feel like the technician would have a hard time diagnosing and/or require a follow up visit to install a new receiver which I might also get charged for.

?Thanks for all of your help so far.

I'd call in. Being this is a DVR kinda hard to have it record with no guide. I doubt they'd sent a tech out. More then likely they'll replace it and you'll be out $20 for shipping since no protection plan.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)