HD DVR, standard DVR -- question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertk328

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I want to get new DirecTV service and called up and ordered 2 HD DVRs and set up installation (I have one HDTV already, and the other TV is ready to be replaced so would get another one)

Co-worker says that the HD tends to go out more often during heavy storms than the SD. Would I be better off getting 1 HD-DVR and 1 SD-DVR (can't live w/o DVR) to avoid those issues, particularly with local channels that only have an HD version on the guide?

The install will apparently include the 5-LNB dish if that matters.

P.S. When I had DirecTV before (haven't had it for the last year due to where I was living, but am a former 6 year subscriber) the thing didn't go out often, so I was surprised to hear that but figured HD needs more 'power' so might be true.

His frustration came recently during the season finale for "Survivor". Said the rain took it out so he went to a regular 12" B&W television. ;) Not necessarily DirecTV on that thing, just OTA, so who knows if the SD would've come in any better.

Still curious about other thoughts on this. I'm not opposed to a regular DVR and an HD DVR. The PQ is good so I'll be happy either way. Both in HD is always good, but not if it's going to sacrifice reception.

OTA is definitely less prone to go out during a storm. I've never experienced any difference between HD and SD - although I can't say I watch much SD these days. :D

It takes a very heavy downpour for us to lose satellite signal with the newer equipment and dish. On the occasions where we have lost signal, our OTA has remained unaffected.

In this post the OP mentions "using the crappy version". Can you switch between HD and SD feeds with the new HD box?

With FiOS you have 2 channels -- pick SD or HD and go. Been just over a year since I've had DirecTV and didn't have HD with it before.

:D

The HD versions of channels are more prone to rain fade simply because the band is much tighter. But if your HD channel goes out a quick Chan Up will take you to your SD where you can continue your show. 90% of SD comes from the 101 and it doesn't matter if its a single LNB or a 5 LNB the 101 SD band has a lot of leeway

I have yet to experience any reception issues with my HD feeds, except for the scant few times when it looks like there is an apocalypse going on outside.

The HD versions of channels are more prone to rain fade simply because the band is much tighter. But if your HD channel goes out a quick Chan Up will take you to your SD where you can continue your show. 90% of SD comes from the 101 and it doesn't matter if its a single LNB or a 5 LNB the 101 SD band has a lot of leeway

Hmm, I thought there was only the HD feed for locals, but you may be talking about the other channels. :)

The new HD channels are also being broadcast at Ka band frequencies. Higher frequencies have more difficulty penetrating rain and cloud cover.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts