HD DVR Tivo release date?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ron2nd2nd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
I am looking at switching to Direct from Dish and wanted to know is the release date for the new HD DVR Tivo been set. I had heard it was March 1st but is this a real date or just a estamate. And do you think they will have it in supply when it is released? I am tired of the supply problem and Bugs with Dish's HD receivers. Any great deals on this for new subscribers? Thanks

Ron

I really doubt that there would be any deals on the HD Tivo when it first comes out when so many of us are willing to pay list ASAP. I recently switched and got my hardware from www.valueelectronics.com. Ordered it on Sunday, it arrived on Wednesday, self install and up and running Wendesday night.

If you're a member of www.avsforum.com or www.tivocommunity.com then check out this link for a discount if you preorder the HD Tivo, http://www.valueelectronics.com/avsTC.htm

As for the 3/1 date I haven't seen anything that has a firm date, but then again I haven't checked everywhere. The rumor is that they will have enough of these boxes that on day one you can walk into a CC or BB and grab one off the shelf, no problem. I hope that's how it works and they don't do business like Dish and have people waiting months for product.

DVR-HD250 Release

Ron2nd2nd said:
I am looking at switching to Direct from Dish and wanted to know is the release date for the new HD DVR Tivo been set. I had heard it was March 1st but is this a real date or just a estamate. And do you think they will have it in supply when it is released? I am tired of the supply problem and Bugs with Dish's HD receivers. Any great deals on this for new subscribers? Thanks

Ron

Every source that I have checked says the release will be March 30th

John

Expect to see it first for sale between 3/30/04 (mostly online retailers) and 4/1/04 (big chain stores and most other sales locations) in large quantities! They learned from Dish on this one, that is why is was not introduced late last year with the 921. They have had a working prototype for a while now. still your best bet is to get on a waiting list and secure a price cap. Don't expect any deals on this high tech toy! And most importantly don't expect any major problems or defects, as I said, they learned from the 921. :)

I didnt realise the 921 was "released" yet..I thought it was availble only to a very few "beta" testers..

The 921 was released for sale back on Dec 23rd. many people bought them claim they are beta testers but in reality, only one, Mark Lamutt has made that claim officially. The rest are playing make believe. :) Mark has obtained permission under his special beta status to moderate a forum of new 921 owners to report bugs and wish list items back to DishNetwork. The real official beta testers in the program are actually not making any public statements who they are or anything about the product, officially except though Mark. Mark has been doing a great job of acting as an official liason between the developers and the early adopter owners.

At CES I was told by both TIVO rep and DirecTV the official roll out date for HDTIVO is to be March 31st in all the stores. They also said, realistically, with shipping and purchase order delays, allow a couple of weeks for them to saturate the shelves.

While "TIVOheads" have claimed that TIVO never has problems and will be bug free on first release, I think the wise thing to do is wait to see how the non-TIVO worshipers react to the product and then judge for yourself. It may indeed be bug free but may have limitations that are not what YOU thought it would do. If you just go by the advertising, and considering all else perfect, I'd say the HDTIVO will be the better system with the second local tuner but if and when 921 gets the Dishwire activated, then the 921 will have archival capability for a DVHS VCR. You have to decide what's best for you. The only other thing to consider is the programming and right now the only advantage D* has is NFL ST in HDTV. The rest is a matchup.

If you say there wont be any deals out there for a while on the HD Tivo then how can Valueecectronics offer $100 off or $899 on pre orders?

Wont Best Buy and the other Big box stores price match it?

I don't know for sure but I believe CE chains do not match Internet prices. Also, this new product will be available in very limited allocation, CE chains will no get enough inventory to offer sales until the Q4 '04

Limited allocation? Is this more limited than the 350 you originally thought you were getting?

As of today, we are allocated to get 300 - 350 HD DVR's and small quantities each succeeding week.

The very limited allocation of this HD DVR is projected to end sometime in the Q4 '04.

When will we see an official release date announced? why are they waiting? announce it already!

Has anyone gotten this HD Tivo yet? Heard exactly what date it will be released, I have seen too many conflicting dates.

No one has it yet. It will be released around the last week of March first week of April. Demand is predicted to be very high with limited availability till the 4th Quarter of 2004. So if you haven't pre-ordered you might be waiting awhile.

I am supposed to get an advance unit, however I am not sure if I will or not, as DirecTV wants me to sign up for their service for a year which I do not want to do. :(

The DirecTivos are Due out March 30th, however a few have told me it could be sometime around May before anyone really sees one. I am not sure if that means there will be a limited roll out (like the Dish 921) or if there are a few things to work out before releasing the boxes.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am supposed to get an advance unit, however I am not sure if I will or not, as DirecTV wants me to sign up for their service for a year which I do not want to do. :(

The DirecTivos are Due out March 30th, however a few have told me it could be sometime around May before anyone really sees one. I am not sure if that means there will be a limited roll out (like the Dish 921) or if there are a few things to work out before releasing the boxes.

Scott, I'm signed up fro D* and have a HD Tivo on preorder, tell them to send it to me :D

I have a pre-order W/ $100 down. I am moving & will have NO line of sight. I've tried to get a refund on my deposit but have not had any luck so far.
If any one wants to buy out my deposit, (I am about #300 on the waiting list) let me know otherwise I'm going to contact my credit card co. to help me get my money back since this unit is not even available to purchase at this time.
Email me at Mahnke45@msn.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts