Status
Please reply by conversation.

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
Hi,

I just signed up for a new install with DirectTV. I am scheduled to get 1 HD-DVR receiver, 1 HD (non-dvr) receiver, and 1 SD receiver, Total Choice Plus and HD package with HD locals programming. The CSR did not say anything about specific model numbers of receivers or type of dish installed.

After reading some of the threads on this forum, I'm somewhat confused about exactly what I will be getting. Can someone please correct me if I am mistaken about any of the following assumptions.

I assume I will be getting:
HD-DVR HR 10-250 (which is MPEG-2)
HD H20 (which is MPEG-4)
SD H10?
Triple LNB Dish (unless Minneapolis HD locals require the 5-LNB dish)

Am I correct that only the H20 will receive the HD local stations and that the HD-DVR will only be able to record SD locals?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

H10 is an older HD box. I'm not sure what they are sending out for SD boxes.

To receive the Minneapolis HD locals from DirecTV you will need the 5-LNB dish. The HD-Tivo can record locals in HD with an over-the-air antenna.

WildBill said:
Hi,

I assume I will be getting:
HD-DVR HR 10-250 (which is MPEG-2)
HD H20 (which is MPEG-4)
SD H10?
Triple LNB Dish (unless Minneapolis HD locals require the 5-LNB dish)

Am I correct that only the H20 will receive the HD local stations and that the HD-DVR will only be able to record SD locals?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

You are correct about the MPG-2 and MPG-4 receivers, but the H10 is a HD receiver not a SD one. You may have meant the D10, as that is their SD receiver. You will probably get the new 5 LNB dish installed, instead of the 3. Don't think they are installing any 3's anymore. As far as the HD locals, you will only get them on the H20 receiver, if they are available in your area.

Thanks guys. Other than PBS I'm out of range of any HD OTA, but qualify for HD locals. Looks like I'll have to choose between watching live HD or time shifting SD until they upgrade the HD-DVR to MPEG4. Of course, they never explained this when I signed up.

WildBill said:
Thanks guys. Other than PBS I'm out of range of any HD OTA, but qualify for HD locals. Looks like I'll have to choose between watching live HD or time shifting SD until they upgrade the HD-DVR to MPEG4. Of course, they never explained this when I signed up.

What is you zip code? I used 62612 in Springfield, IL and the farthest distance to any tower that matters from there was 70miles (many were in the 25 - 35 range) and with the proper antenna setup you can get OTA reception.

mechman said:
Retiring to the beautiful Lake Country? Got a cabin about 40 mins north.

mechman

Yup. Semi-retired for another year, then full-time. Finding a line of site for the dish may be a problem because of all the trees around the house. The old E* dish that was on the property before we built was set on a slab on the side of the hill going down to the lake, about 40' from the house. We're at the north end of the lake, so the hill faces south. Don't know if putting the new dish in the same location will count as a "standard" installation or not.

Good for you!! :) :) :up I love it up there. About the only area more pretty in Minnesota is the Arrowhead.

Most everyone up there puts there dish near the lakeshore. It's the only place to escape the trees. We sit on the east side of a bay and mounted it on the north end of the roof. It was just enough room to clear the trees.

mechman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)