HD feeds being added to Welcome Pack!

Yeah, but how much of that $20 or $23 goes to the programming suppliers. Probably, most of it. Dish is still making money off of every subscriber.

Dish is still making money off of every subscriber.
You don't know that. Between overhead, fixed and variable costs including programming, they could be just breaking even or even losing a little just to keep the subscriber numbers up with the Welcome Pack. They don't advertise it and don't offer it unless someone specifically asks for it or threatens to cancel. Now it appears if you complain about Welcome Pack prices or channel offerings, they just point you to the door instead of giving any kind of discounts or concessions.

The Welcome Pack includes many of the channels which IIRC pay Dish to be included in a package e.g. "shopping" channels, etc.. So the profit/loss per sub may not be easy to determine.

How many years was the Welcome Pack at $19.99? Can’t be much profit there, knowing how often channels raise rates.
Five years (The last increase was in 2013.) This year's increase was the first time that the increase was less than $5. Previously, Dish would go five years without any increase on Welcome Pack, and then raise the price by $5 per month. (Welcome Pack started out at $14.99 per month (including locals) in 2008, and then went up to $19.99 per month in 2013. The other wrinkle is that Welcome Pack was originally available without locals for only $9.99 per month. However, in 2011 the locals were force-bundled with the package, resulting in another $5 per month increase, but only for those who were not already paying for locals, or those who previously had Locals-Only for $9.99 per month and were switched to Welcome Pack instead.) In late 2015 (at the start of this thread) HD feeds of most of the popular channels were added to Welcome Pack with no price increase, until this year, when the price only increased by $3 per month. So, still not a bad value.

When I cancelled, they didn’t offer anything. The rep asked if anyone else could take over the contract (I had a month left). I explained I was going streaming only, and she started to get a little rude and short while processing my cancellation. She didn’t attempt to sell me the welcome pack.. no additional discounts... nothing. I wasn’t really looking for any additional discounts, but the way she talked to me put such a bad taste in my mouth that I don’t think I’d ever go back to Dish if anything changes.

Moral of the story... maybe they try to keep some people with the welcome pack, but they didn’t try with me. Maybe I got a rep in a bad mood or something.

In the 20 or so years I’ve had Dish, which has been off and on, I don’t think they ever used the Welcome Pack as a retention offer to me. They usually offered discounts for a certain number of months, or free premiums for a certain number of months.

Yeah, that's what I was expecting to be honest... I was a bit surprised that they didn't even try to save a customer. To be honest, if they even came close I would have stayed since I loved the Hopper 3. But they didn't offer anything, made me feel like they didn't appreciate my business, and now add 1 customer to their customer losses.

I’ve been reading on Facebook a number of people that try to tell a dish off, by saying they are going to lose a customer and that they will switch to SlingTV and let their money be spent to a better company. I don’t correct them.

Reactions: DWS44
I don't blame Dish, Direct, or any of the providers. The programmers as well as OTA channels they carry have increased their fees so much, that a good package with no premiums is nearly $100 a month. Way too expensive for many people. I remember when AT250 was about $50. Salaries have not kept up with the increases. No wonder there are so many Cord Cutters. I have Dish, OTA, and Roku. The internet in rural areas have down time, so I have not gotten rid of Dish. Even the translators here are off at times. So I plan to keep Dish for sometime. Add to that all channels do not stream. Some believe that Satellite & Cable will disappear in time. But in rural areas, that may not be the case.

Reactions: dare2be
I can honestly see cable going the way of the dodo a lot sooner than satellite. In areas where people can have cable and/or high speed internet, with no caps, encourage more cord cutting. Rural areas will have very limited choices, and high speed no caps may not be anywhere near what it needs to be for them to go streaming. Satellite still has a clientele to serve. Cable is more for those who just don’t want to go only streaming and have a fear of satellite right now. I’m guessing the older generations, mostly.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In the 20 or so years I’ve had Dish, which has been off and on, I don’t think they ever used the Welcome Pack as a retention offer to me. They usually offered discounts for a certain number of months, or free premiums for a certain number of months.
Was your complaint that you’re paying too much and do not watch more than just the locals? If that wasn’t it, they likely wouldn’t offer it. That would come off to many as an insult, especially after paytv has built this notion that you will just get a credit if you complain loud enough.

I don’t think cable or satellite is completely going away.. like everyone says, people in rural areas that don’t have access to reliable internet will still be satellite customers. However, there’s a fundamental switch going on. People are hitting their pain point for traditional TV providers concerning cost. Those that have other options are taking them. OTT services will continue to gain subscribers. As the services get better over time, that rate of cord shifters will increase until everything equals out.

Regardless of whose fault it is that TV prices are rising, OTT tv is generally cheaper. No boxes to rent.. no trucks to roll.. little if any customer service. It’s just cheaper to operate resulting in cheaper plans. People are going to go to the cheaper options if the quality of the services are in the same ballpark. Unfortunately for traditional linear TV providers, the quality of service is in the same ballpark, and in some areas like picture quality, even better.

We’ll see what happens... it’s hard to see how any of this is good for Dish, or Direct, given that a lot of kids growing up now watch nothing but YouTube and Netflix. Those are Dish’s future customers.

Reactions: brejust
I can honestly see cable going the way of the dodo a lot sooner than satellite. In areas where people can have cable and/or high speed internet, with no caps, encourage more cord cutting. Rural areas will have very limited choices, and high speed no caps may not be anywhere near what it needs to be for them to go streaming. Satellite still has a clientele to serve. Cable is more for those who just don’t want to go only streaming and have a fear of satellite right now. I’m guessing the older generations, mostly.

The difference for cable is that cable is most people's ISP as well, and they can "force" you to take a bundle by charging you less for the bundle than internet service by itself. The only way to combat that is with ISP competition which is unfortunately uncommon in the US.

Reactions: TheKrell
I’ve been using Philo for a couple of months. We used it for the DVR until DirecTV Now gets a DVR. Works great! It’s only available on Roku and the web at the moment (Apple TV coming soon) and there’s no grid guide on the Roku app, but it works very well for what it does. And it’s cheap!
hmm sounds good about philo.
i use to have dish everything pack and found myself only watching mainly locals, tbs, comedy, encore sometimes hbo, and philo sounds good.
tbs yes
comedy yes
anyone heard of the cbs plan for 5,99 streaming service.?
could be a good supplement also and if you do have amazing prime you can use cbs all access that is included.
Stream Live TV, Sports & News with Free Trial of CBS All Access

anyone heard of the cbs plan for 5,99 streaming service.?
could be a good supplement also and if you do have amazing prime you can use cbs all access that is included.
Stream Live TV, Sports & News with Free Trial of CBS All Access
The last time I checked, CBS All Access is only offering a one-week free trial. However, the trick is to accept the one-week free trial, and then immediately go to cancel your subscription. At that point, they will offer you one month for free to keep you, in addition to the free week you already had. :)

The last time I checked, CBS All Access is only offering a one-week free trial. However, the trick is to accept the one-week free trial, and then immediately go to cancel your subscription. At that point, they will offer you one month for free to keep you, in addition to the free week you already had. :)

I can confirm this worked for me as well.

Reactions: pattykay

I could of used that info a few weeks ago! Great tip!

Has anyone renewed their $5 per month Movie Pack? If so, did you lose the Epix channels or did you keep the grandfathered Epix channels?

Our $5 promo Dish Movie Pack which we had a few times automatically continued to the $10 regular price Dish Movie Pack. So far we still have the Epix channels.

Our $5 promo Dish Movie Pack which we had a few times automatically continued to the $10 regular price Dish Movie Pack. So far we still have the Epix channels.

Yeah, but what if you click on cancel it and get an option to continue for $5 for another 6 months. Would you lose Epix? Has anyone tried to continue for another 6 months at the $5 deal. Did you get to keep Epix or lose it?

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)