HD for CBS - Portland, OR area

kdyer

Original poster
May 10, 2005
Tigard, OR
Since Comcast is the provider for the greater Portland, OR area and we cannot get CBS (KOIN) in HD, is there anything that we can do about this? According to people that I have talked to about this, they say you need to complain to CBS (which I have done, but feel that I am just a little fish in a really big sea). Lastly, they say that about 40 miles south in Salem, they can get CBS in HD.

Thanks,

Kent

We may have just been BLESSED! This mornings Oregonian reports that Emmis Corp. appears to be going to SELL KOIN TV - if this happens this could and should surely increase the possibiity that we would get the CBS HD feed in our area. I sure hope along with you. :)

Interesting news..
Tried to post the response that i got back from KOIN and I need to have 5 posts on here first.

Sent: Wed 5/18/2005 4:11 PM
To: Kent Dyer
Subject: RE: How are we doing?

Kent:

Thank you for writing us at KOIN News 6.

For more than five years now, our digital signal, including High Definition programming has been available to viewers in our broadcast area, over the air and free of charge. Many people with HDTVs or HDTV compatible sets have chosen to purchase HDTV converter boxes from an electronics or video retailer and receive the high definition programming in this manner.

Kent

Here is the full response:
Kent:

Thank you for writing us at KOIN News 6.

For more than five years now, our digital signal, including High Definition programming has been available to viewers in our broadcast area, over the air and free of charge. Many people with HDTVs or HDTV compatible sets have chosen to purchase HDTV converter boxes from an electronics or video retailer and receive the high definition programming in this manner.

In late 2003, Comcast Cable began offering their subscribers here another way to receive selective digital programming, including certain HD products. They approached KOIN and asked us to give them our HD signal, which they in turn would make available to their paying customers. We explained to Comcast that the station and our parent company, Emmis Communications, invested more than $4,000,000 to build a state of the art, full power digital facility. The digital signal, including HD is available free over the air, and if Comcast wanted to use this "signal resource" to add to their business plan for the cable company’s growth, KOIN should be fairly compensated. Comcast has maintained a position that they will not pay us for this signal because we’re a broadcaster.

We think that position is unfair and should be changed. Comcast already pays for much of their programming. We don’t understand why they should expect to get our programming for free, re-package it how they choose, sell it and keep all of the revenue. We simply want to participate in a business model Comcast already uses and share in the economic benefit they receive from our investment in HDTV.

At the present time, we are engaged in discussions with Comcast Cable regarding their request to retransmit KOIN’s HD signal and make it available to their subscribers. I’m hopeful we will arrive at a fair agreement, but I cannot at this time tell you precisely when that might occur. I would ask you to continue to communicate with both KOIN and Comcast and encourage both parties to work this matter out allowing you and others another choice of how you receive and enjoy HDTV.

Again, thank you for writing us.

Lee Wood

Director of Engineering

KOIN News 6

Kent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts