This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

HD Free For Life Returns!

Why?Because it is of no benefit to me,I offered to go that route and they still wouldn't give me HDFFL,and that was back when it was still available.So screw em,they can keep sending me a bill and I pay it online when I'm damn good and ready.

In a long ago Charlie Chat, Charlie stated that return envelopes alone were costing him about $700,000 per year. I did some number crunching then (very simple) and it did make sense. I presumed a few cents per return envelope as his price (bulk rate), and multiplied by his then number of subs, and it came out about right. Also, all these companies have to hire a 3rd party to handle billing processing. That costs a lot of dough, too. No wonder the on-line services are all direct CC autopay and NO billing.

And if in Charlie chat days that price was lower. So saving them a couple mil a year now.

This is great for those that got in on free hd for 24. However I don't believe this going to help sales.
It's not about sale, but it will help keep churn down because subscribers hate to see a charge like "HD Fee" on their bills AT THE END OF THEIR COMMITMENT. They will get PO'd and leave Dish for anyone else just on principle. I'm glad to see someone at Dish came to their senses on this on. A separate HD Fee was just a plain STUPID idea. Yes, build into the cost. People prefer that method.

They have to balance the cost of keeping the customer vs. the cost of replacing the customer. If they raise the price to equal net profit 10% will they lose less or more than 10% of their customers.

OK, please help me understand this situation: I know a few people who are getting limited HD because Dish REQUIRED them to take all new HD equipment for the Dish Movers even though they did NOT subscribe to HD services. Can those people qualify for HD for Life on or before November 6th? So, those people have all the equipment and are capable of seeing all the HD's (full WA of 110, 119, and 129), but because they do not subscriber to HD services, Dish only provides LIL in HD and just a few other channels. Can these folks get HD for life?
Thanks.

"Existing customers who do not already subscribe to HD programming will not have it added to their account with this update."
I don't know about before the 6th, but the way I am reading it, yes once they upgrade to HD, they can pay $10 or ask for HDFFL, then enroll in AP and PB certainly after the 6th.

The $99 deal no longer available was good for those adverse to AP or PB especially if you remained with DISH.

Any new customer that signs up with Dish gets HD equipment. It's just that they still have a lot of SD equipment out there. I'm sure Direct still has SD equipment out there too.

Any new customer that signs up with Dish gets HD equipment. It's just that they still have a lot of SD equipment out there. I'm sure Direct still has SD equipment out there too.

I'd say they do..we're in a mpeg4 market so everything has been hd for some time.

Below is a quote from Harshness in another thread.

How much longer can they keep trying to charge for HD when all new tv's are HD and have been for a while now? If Dish Network was available back in the 50s and 60s I could see them charging extra for color.

Reactions: bobvick
If Dish Network was available back in the 50s and 60s I could see them charging extra for color.
I could see that. They would have tried to charge a "Color TV Fee" until the early to mid '80s when about all the B&W only sets were about gone. Or, had Dish been around in the mid to late '80s when stereo came out, I am sure, if you wanted a stereo receiver, they would have had a "fee" for that too. Next we will have a 4K enabling fee, probably about $10 per month.

How much longer can they keep trying to charge for HD when all new tv's are HD and have been for a while now? If Dish Network was available back in the 50s and 60s I could see them charging extra for color.

Yes, but if Dish replaced everything with color enabled equipment, then you probably would have had people complaining about forcing color equipment on people who only had B&W tv's.

You can't be naive enough to think DISH wouldn't have been, isn't, and won't be charged for those things by the content providers..... Just like all the other carriers are and charge for one way or the other...

Reactions: ChadT41
You can't be naive enough to think DISH wouldn't have been, isn't, and won't be charged for those things by the content providers..... Just like all the other carriers are and charge for one way or the other...
Exactly...one should not forget the Disney SD/HD double-dip.

Glad to see Dish saw the error of thier ways, but just like chadt stated, even though there is no seperate fee for hd, we are still paying for it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How much longer can they keep trying to charge for HD when all new tv's are HD and have been for a while now?

Well in all fairness, it's NOT like E* is the ONLY provider to charge for HD...in my area, in which we have (only) 3 other TV providers (Comcast, U-verse & D*) ALL of them still charge for HD in some fashion.
While there are a couple ways to avoid it, (mostly on top pkgs w/Comcast & U-verse) most subs STILL end up paying for it...so at least we have 1 provider now, where it's relatively easy to avoid the fee.

Reactions: Tampa8
I recall when the phone companies used to charge you extra for a private line, touch tone dialing and you had to lease a phone from them too! HD is no longer cutting edge tech and with cable companies claiming they do not charge for it, at least Charter claims this, satellite will HAVE TO follow along.