HD In Greenville, South Carolina

wolfgame

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Greenville, SC
I have a buddy who just recently bought an HD TV. He has charter cable. Any idea what he needs to get HD programming and what Charter charges? Is there a different "box" and then a monthly programming fee? Also, anyone know what channels you get through Charter in Greenville.

The HD box is an additional $3 on top of what they charge for the regular digital box (which is something like $6/mo). Just take the current box to the office off I385 in Simpsonville & they will give some contract papers to fill out & hand out the new box.

Currently, we get WYFF (NBC), WSPA (CBS), WHNS (FOX), PBS-HD, Universal HD, TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, HDNET, and HDNET Movies. If he/she has a HD tuner, WYFF, WSPA, WHNS, and UHD are in the clear. Of course, there is no telling how long that will last.

Also, if your buddy subscribes to a premium movie package (ex HBO, Cinemax), the HD version of the package comes with the HD package. (I don't subscribe to the movie channels, so I forgot about this).

additional hd charge

Charter also charges an additional 3 or 4 dollars for the hd pak. So you are looking at about 8 more dollars than what the regular DCT charges were.

Not really worth it,

770 HDNET
771 HDNET MOVIES
773 ESPNHD
775 DISCOVERY HD
777 HBO HD
778 SHOWTIME HD
779 CINEMAX HD
784 WYFFHD
786 WHNSHD
787 WSPAHD
788 PBSHD
793 UNIVERSAL HD
797 TNT HD
799 HDPPV EVENTS

STILL NO ABCHD, NOR ANYTHING ELSE, ALSO KEEP IN MIND CHARTER IS IN BAD FINANCIAL STATUS, I CALLED TO ASK ABOUT THEM ADDING MPEG4 HD CHANNELS OR ANY NEW HD CHANNELS AND ALL THE CSR'S I SPOKE WITH SAID THAT CHARTER HAS NO INTEREST IN PUTTING A LOT OF HD CHANNELS IN THE LINEUP UNTIL IT IS MANDATORY--ANOTHER WORDS THEY ARE BROKE!

REGULAR HD RECEIVER-$9.95/MO.
MOXI DVR-$19.95/MO.

THE 2 BOXES THAT RECEIVE HD THRU THE GREENVILLE SC SYSTEM, IS MOTOROLA DCT XXX, AND THE MOXI MEDIA CENTER BY MOTOROLA -- BOTH RECEIVERS TO ME, NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE!!

I AM NOT A HAPPY CHARTER CUSTOMER BUT KEEP THEM ONLY FOR THE INTERNET SERVICES--DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE I'D SAY THROW UP AN ANTENNA, GET ALL YOUR HD LOCALS AND SUBCHANNELS AND GET DISH NETWORK!

!protest CHARTER ANALOG SUCKS TOO!! AND LORD FORBID DON'T GET THAT CRAPPY TELEPHONE SERVICE!! ALL THIS IS MY OPINION HOWEVER YOU MAY GET GREAT SERVICE AND ENJOY IT, BUT GOOD LUCK, THEY DO LIE AN AWFUL LOT, AND WILL CHARGE YOU FOR A LOT OF UNECESSARY THINGS (LIKE WIRE MAINTENANCE), OTHERWISE, HAVE A GREAT DAY :hatsoff: ANY QUESTIONS, PM ME!

For the next 3 months, I'm double paying for DirecTV and Charter, before I move back to DirecTV/Bellsouth in the Greenville area. My wife and daughter hate the phone and (analog) tv service. The Moxi has problems. My gripe is that the Internet service appears to be slower for the same speed which I paid for Bellsouth.

Now I have compared both the internet with them and BellSouth, I felt like I was on dialup when I used BellSouth. You may want to call Charter and tell them to ping your modem to make it faster, a lot of times they won't set up your account correctly because the big black women that sit in them cubicles hanging up on everyone is too busy wear fake Louis Vuitton and filing their nails, seriously, I have seen this at the Simpsonville SC call center.

And the best HD is on Dish Network! Hands down!

I'm sorry if I'm bitter toward Charter, but I feel as though Charter has screwed their customers many times since they started in this market. I don't want to get started on this soapbox, however, because I have had several experiences myself with Charter (including incorrect billing and improper modem provisioning), and can talk for pages. On the flip side, I guess that's the price to pay for dealing with a large, loosely fragmented company. And, after all, my hometown of Waynesville would have never had access to as large of a lineup as they do if Charter had not integrated the formerly Cablevision of Asheville and Sammons Communications in Waynesville.

In any case, I believe that the slowdown that I am detecting is actually comprised of two factors. First of all -- signal strength. I live in an apartment, and even though I have the "wiring plan," I have been advised by Charter that they cannot tamper with any of the wiring to provide a stronger signal like they would in a privately owned (or rented) house. This was even causing problems with my HDTV reception, but a bidirectional amplifier seems to have rectified that problem -- for the most part. Secondly -- I am not certain how far I am to BellSouth's CO (I know that DSL speed depends on distance), however I suspect that I am not getting much DSL signal degradation, which causes me to notice some of the Charter cable sluggishness.

In anycase, as evidenced by the large number of informative websites discussing the differences between DSL and Cable broadband, I guess we could continue the Internet speed discussion indefinitely.

By the way, I have also been to the Simpsonville call center (I live on the other side of 385 from there), and the people there were very helpful -- both black and white. Though I do not know your personal experience, and am not trying to sway you to believe otherwise, I am not sure where the moderators of this board stand on comments such as this -- so you might want to tone down public racial assumptions.

No racial assumptions, just stating the truth as to the several times I have been there, and very unhappy when I left, I always have dealt with both there as well but they are dominated by IMHO rude black female CSR's--thats not a racist statement, its the truth, but when Charter realizes the problems with their employees w/ the bad attitudes and get some quality hard workers no matter what race then their quality level would go up...however the cable quality is another story...

I can go thru a novel of how many times I had attempted to get things corrected with them, the contractors that are inexperienced, and the help that is inexperienced. Charter is cheap and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. And when asked why, I will gladly let them know about: 1-Employee's, 2-Service Level, 3-Inconveniences...I know all companies has issues but Charter is by far the worst to me, I'd rather call the non-english CSR's at Dish Network than to call Charter, at least Dish Network you get a THANK YOU out of them, at Charter all you get is "Well Sir......", "Well Sir......."

I hate you are having problems and hope you tidy up your situation with them asap, it took me 2 yrs to finally give in to a small dish and take up the hobby of satellite TV, but when I did, I realized cable just plain sucks!

:hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)