HD-Lite Class Action

SRW1000 said:
My contention is that we don't know. I don't believe Dish releases HD subscriber numbers. If you know otherwise, please fill us all in.
Not to get back into speculation but, what is your obviously HD informed guess? HD subs going Up or Down
See if it jives with Kagan Research...
TVweek.com said:
But according to Kagan Research, EchoStar will have 1.6 million HD subscribers by the end of the year (compared with 600,000 at the end of last year).

The numbers are difficult to compare apples-to-apples since the firmest DirecTV figures are for the second quarter, and best available EchoStar figures are year to year. But if Kagan's projection holds up, the figures indicate 85 percent growth for DirecTV versus 166 percent for EchoStar.
Full article...
http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=292

Does this do it? Are you still in denial? Or not capable of putting the pieces of the puzzle together?

dslate69 said:
Not to get back into speculation but, what is your obviously HD informed guess? HD subs going Up or Down
See if it jives with Kagan Research...

Full article...
http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=292

Does this do it? Are you still in denial? Or not capable of putting the pieces of the puzzle together?
Thanks for posting something that's actually relevant to your argument.

Now, we just need to find a way to compare how many additional subs Dish would get if they actually started to broadcast everything in HD verses how many they would lose by either alternating some HD channels (eliminating redundant/repetitive programming), or dropping some of the "lesser" channels.

And I loved this quote from the DirecTV guy:
And then there's the issue of quality. HD fans love the format for its clarity. But for years hardcore DirecTV viewers have derided the service for providing "HD Lite"—a downsized resolution image that doesn't hold up when placed side by side with certain competitors.

"I have seen those alleged posts … we carry two HD channels on each transporter, and I believe EchoStar is the same," Mr. Pontual said. "I don't think we're making our services any worse—our services are good."
Another example of how satellite services seem to want to drop quality to the lowest acceptable level, rather than raise quality to try and beat the competition.

HD Lite now, HD Lite forever. Yippee.

Scott

Well the HD-Lightweights state that Dish never increases picture quality even when it comes to SD. Then why does their total subscriber base go up every year?

I'm hitting myself on the head on ths one 'slate.

foghorn2 said:
Well the HD-Lightweights state that Dish never increases picture quality even when it comes to SD. Then why does their total subscriber base go up every year?

I'm hitting myself on the head on ths one 'slate.
And the correlation is? Their prices go up every year also, so the price increases must be the reason why more people are subscribing. Ahhhhh . . . that makes sense.

There will always be a market for the lowest price/lowest quality product. I'd rather not see Dish fill that niche, but it looks like that's where they want to be.

The problem addressed by this thread, is what happens when a company advertises one thing, but delivers another?

Scott

Last edited:
SRW1000 said:
And the correlation is? Their prices go up every year also, so the price increases must be the reason why more people are subscribing. Ahhhhh . . . that makes sense........

Scott

It does make sence since people willingly pay more each year for more channels.
Sounds like a good business plan to me.

I can see it now, SRW1000 benouncomes CEO of Dish and announces the removal of channels so 60 HD-Lightweights can gawk at stream data and say how great it is.

SRW1000 said:
...Now, we just need to find a way to compare how many additional subs Dish would get if they actually started to broadcast everything in HD verses how many they would lose by either alternating some HD channels (eliminating redundant/repetitive programming), or dropping some of the "lesser" channels.
You are starting to prove my Short Bus theory. My argument was HD-Lite is the Smart business plan for this moment in time. I WON THAT. Convincing you of that was like a circular conversation I have with my 5 year old little girl, but she has more convincing arguments. ;) You must not have played sports growing up, some time you lose, and when you do you don't try and change the game from Football to Baseball. I have had one contention this whole time DISH is gaining subs with HD-Lite, your arguments have moved from quality to truth to DISH is losing subs, to what would happen if DISH did A,B, or C.

If you want to figure out how many additional subs DISH would have if they offered 1080p 3D Touch and Smell-o-vision go right ahead. Maybe someone else will ask you to prove it. I have grown bored with your Emotionally Heavy and Logically-Lite arguments.
Consider any of your further post a new debate and you can pretend like you won when I don't reply.:rolleyes:

dslate69 said:
You are starting to prove my Short Bus theory. My argument was HD-Lite is the Smart business plan for this moment in time. I WON THAT. Convincing you of that was like a circular conversation I have with my 5 year old little girl, but she has more convincing arguments. ;) You must not have played sports growing up, some time you lose, and when you do you don't try and change the game from Football to Baseball. I have had one contention this whole time DISH is gaining subs with HD-Lite, your arguments have moved from quality to truth to DISH is losing subs, to what would happen if DISH did A,B, or C.

If you want to figure out how many additional subs DISH would have if they offered 1080p 3D Touch and Smell-o-vision go right ahead. Maybe someone else will ask you to prove it. I have grown bored with your Emotionally Heavy and Logically-Lite arguments.
Consider any of your further post a new debate and you can pretend like you won when I don't reply.:rolleyes:
Funny. But in a very sad kind of way.

:rolleyes:

Scott

dslate69 said:

Logically-Lite, thats a great one! My 7 year old daughter could run circles around the HD-Lightweights too. (She is also a butter speller then mee).

Why doesn't cable with all their bandwith offer 1080p?

foghorn2 said:
Why doesn't cable with all their bandwith offer 1080p?

Cable has the same bandwidth limitations as the DBS folks have. Thats why they've been trying to move more and more analog channels to the digital tier to free up bandwidth/channels in their systems (and to make a few more $'s while they're at it).

SRW1000 said:
Maybe they're waiting for a station to have actual 1080p content.

Scott
1080p presently requires more bandwidth than allowed by the FCC. Maybe someday an MPEG compression algorythm will be able to compress data enough to allow it. But I don't see any commercial advantage, especially since we are having to fight tooth and nail to get 1080i on affiliates now.

Jim5506 said:
1080p presently requires more bandwidth than allowed by the FCC. Maybe someday an MPEG compression algorythm will be able to compress data enough to allow it. But I don't see any commercial advantage, especially since we are having to fight tooth and nail to get 1080i on affiliates now.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 1080 24p one of the HD standards?

I agree with you on the commercial side, though.

Scott

1080p won't happen, there is no commercial advantage to it, at all. When you weigh-in that 720p looks absolutely phenomenal when given the full bitrate it deserves. When the time comes I would much rather have every channel at full 720p or 1080i than a few at 1080p. I am sure that shocks no one. Maybe receivers will have decent upconverters so we can get 1080p without the extra bandwidth needed. But from my understanding few if any of the 1080p sets on the market now can even take a native 1080p input.

I am much more interested in how many more HD subs DISH would have if they gave away a free Charlie Bobble-Head. :D

dslate69 said:
1080p won't happen, there is no commercial advantage to it, at all.
I agree. But then this information is kind of odd, isn't it?
Scott Greczkowski said:
As I have said before (and perhaps it was in the pub area) but one of the things I heard from a few at Dish was they are working to so that they can be the first broadcaster in the USA broadcasting some HD channels in 1080p (Not 1080i but full 1080p!)
Strange they'd devote resources to a non-commercially viable format instead of directing those efforts to broadcasting actual HD.

dslate69 said:
I am much more interested in how many more HD subs DISH would have if they gave away a free Charlie Bobble-Head. :D
I think we get that for free every month there's a Charlie Chat.

Scott

If they are working to have a ppv or some other 1080p channel it is for bragging rights only. It would still be idiotic when they can't give full bitrates and rez to the channels they have at only 720p.
News flash: Scott's inside info is right as often as a broken clock. ;)

foghorn2 said:
Congratulations, you've already ruled the case, now go after the locals and the cable companies advertising HD but giving you HD-Lite. Also make sure the camera people are using full HD res and size when shooting and make sure every remastered film in HD is full up to specks.

You are really good at bringing up HD-Lite every second of the day like an obsessive compulsive disorder, so continue to do so. There is a lot of people and companies to sure over this.
I think what we are seeing here is a vocal but small group of people who've anticipated the arrival of HD services. They breathed a sigh of relief that HD was here..Now they have found that HD isn't what it's cracked up to be..They believe there is more to it..They want their HD in full.
Perhaps they are missing something here..Yes the service is HD..It may not be in full resolution...But they are not willing to hear the reasons why..They want it..Fine..But (I am speculating here) did they ever stop to consider that what they are getting is what they are paying for..In other words did they ever consider the possibility that HD in full is much more costly to produce and transmit?..Consider the amount of TP space required to transmit all services in HD.....
IMO this lawsuit may drag a few NewsCorp lawyers into court but the result is not going to be HD in full...D* may have to refund $$ to their HD subs..Would that satisfy them?..Probably not..They want HD in full...I hope it gets here..But they won't be able to "sue it" into existence..
My point is I do not believe D* is deliberately trying to rip people off..I think if they could provide a full res. signal they would..Why not?...
One more thing..We all have choices..If one is not getting what they paid for that person is free to cancel the service and find a better one...No one is going to the homes of D* HD subs and grabbing money from them at gunpoint...If you don't like the food at a restaurant, don't eat there.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts