HD-Lite Class Action

foghorn2 said:
If you have a 1080p set, wouldn't anything less than 1920x1080p at full bitrate be considered HD-Lite to you?
The fact is 1280x720p can look stunning on any HD capable set. Last year ESPNHD looked terrific! Other than Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, I don't think anyone is expecting to see broadcast 1920x1080p any time soon. My bet is on FiOS being the first to support 1080p...just need a programming source.

dishcomm said:
I think what we are seeing here is a vocal but small group of people who've anticipated the arrival of HD services. They breathed a sigh of relief that HD was here..Now they have found that HD isn't what it's cracked up to be..They believe there is more to it..They want their HD in full.
I think you have it backwards...many have been enjoying full bitrate HDTV for years (March of 2002 for me), only to find the programming quality has been slowly deteriorating; it is a subset of its former self. The HD newcomers see a pretty picture and, in my opinion, are generally impervious to the fact that HD can be something better. Sure, it's very nice TV...but it's not the HDTV we remember.

Having said that, let me just say that it's not all doom 'n gloom for DishHD. They still offer the most and best HD experience, and many of the HD channels still look very good. I think a few comments are made-->everyone takes sides-->and meaningful discussion does out the window.

dishcomm said:
I think what we are seeing here is a vocal but small group of people who've anticipated the arrival of HD services. They breathed a sigh of relief that HD was here..Now they have found that HD isn't what it's cracked up to be..They believe there is more to it..They want their HD in full.
Perhaps they are missing something here..Yes the service is HD..It may not be in full resolution...But they are not willing to hear the reasons why..They want it..Fine..But (I am speculating here) did they ever stop to consider that what they are getting is what they are paying for..In other words did they ever consider the possibility that HD in full is much more costly to produce and transmit?..Consider the amount of TP space required to transmit all services in HD..........
I think almost all of us understand why HD is being downrezzed.

dishcomm said:
IMO this lawsuit may drag a few NewsCorp lawyers into court but the result is not going to be HD in full...D* may have to refund $$ to their HD subs..Would that satisfy them?..Probably not..They want HD in full...I hope it gets here..But they won't be able to "sue it" into existence..
My point is I do not believe D* is deliberately trying to rip people off..
Then why hide the fact that they are downrezzing channels? Why point to the ATSC specs, but not follow them?

dishcomm said:
I think if they could provide a full res. signal they would..Why not?...
One more thing..We all have choices..If one is not getting what they paid for that person is free to cancel the service and find a better one...No one is going to the homes of D* HD subs and grabbing money from them at gunpoint...If you don't like the food at a restaurant, don't eat there.....
Choice is important. But it has to be informed choice. By advertising one thing, but delivering another, the "informed" part of a consumer's decision is missing.

Providers have choices too. They can find ways of delivering what they claim (eliminate redundancy, refine channels, etc.) or they can claim what they deliver (let customer's know that they're downrezzing HD content).

The reason why all of this is important, has to do with the whole future of HD. If a provider is allowed to downrez content to whatever resolution they feel like, and still call it HD, chances are that actual HD will die in the marketplace. That's the reason for the fight.

Scott

dishcomm said:
My point is I do not believe D* is deliberately trying to rip people off..I think if they could provide a full res. signal they would..Why not?...

Both E* and D* are advertising HD and not delivering....

You guys have been pulling each other's hair for days now, but have you even agreed on what HD is - NO.

Start there then your other agruments will be less specious.

I could not make myself read the whole boring thread - is there any such thing as a definition of HDTV, or do we just have un-named standards that people argue over whether they are or aren't HDTV?

Maybe there is no such thing as HDTV after all - WHEW I have settled the issue and I feel better already!

Jim5506 said:
You guys have been pulling each other's hair for days now, but have you even agreed on what HD is - NO.

Start there then your other agruments will be less specious.

I could not make myself read the whole boring thread - is there any such thing as a definition of HDTV, or do we just have un-named standards that people argue over whether they are or aren't HDTV?

Maybe there is no such thing as HDTV after all - WHEW I have settled the issue and I feel better already!
Yes, there is a definition of HDTV. Just for kicks, let's look at what the providers themselves are using:

HD According to DirecTV and the SBCA

Dish Network Spec# 1

Dish Network Spec #2

All of these figures are taken from the ATSC's definitions of HD.

Scott

foghorn2 said:
Well the HD-Lightweights state that Dish never increases picture quality even when it comes to SD. Then why does their total subscriber base go up every year?

I'm hitting myself on the head on ths one 'slate.

I'm guessing, most of the subs have analog or small digital tvs. SD looks pretty good on those tvs and picture quality is far better than OTA local analog. Now, quality big screen tvs are a whole different story.

Everyone has a right to their opinion but, I am truly amazed that so many Americans have become so complacent and just accept mediocrity as evidenced by some of the postings in this thread. Everyone who has an opinion about HD picture quality by D*, E* and cable should be proactive and express their concerns via emails to the DBS and cable companies, networks, FCC or Congress and any other agency that can impact HD picture quality. It's easy and it's FREE. I may be generalizing but, I becha that many of the posters here, who take the adversarial position probably don't even vote in national or state elections and have a little tv complex :rolleyes:

Please feel free to use this to file your FTC Complaint today...

* Cut, paste, and edit at your convenience *

Subject of Your Complaint: Direct Marketing-Telemarketing/Mail Order
Name of Company You Are Complaining About: EchoStar Communications Corp
Street Address: 9601 S. MERIDIAN BLVD.
City: ENGLEWOOD
State or Province: Colorado
Zip Code or Postal Code: 80112
Company Web Site: www.dishnetwork.com
Company E-Mail Address: ceo@dishnetwork.com
Phone Number: (303)7231000Ext.
How Did the Company Initially Contact You?: Internet (Other)
How Much Did the Company Ask You to Pay?: 99.99
How Much Did You Actually Pay the Company?: 2489.03
How Did You Pay the Company?: Discover Credit Card
Did You File a Dispute with the Credit Bureau?: N
Did You File a Dispute with the Credit Bureau More Than 45 Days Ago?: N
First Name: N/A
Last Name: N/A
Date Company Contacted You: N/A (MM/DD/YYYY)
Explain Your Problem: (Please limit your complaint to 2000 characters.): (Product Name: DishHD) Dish Network advertises having the "Highest Quality" High Definition (HD) TV Service, yet their HD product does not meet the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Digital TV (DTV) Standard for HD. Initially, I was very happy with the quality of their HD product and purchased two HD DVRs at over $1100 because I enjoyed the quality of their HD service. However, shortly after my purchase Dish Network (aka EchoStar) started to downrez their picture quality, to where it now looks terrible (in my opinion) and does not meet the FCC DTV definition to qualify as HDTV...yet they continue to advertise and sell their DishHD product as if it were actually HD. I am now stuck with expensive hardware that cannot be used with another cable or satellite TV provider. I find their advertising and this business practice to be misleading (at best) and fraudulent (at worst). In any case, EchoStar should provide their HD customers with full resolution HDTV or agree to purchase HD hardware at full retail price.

Success!
Complaint Accepted. Thank you for your input.
:)

dishcomm said:
One more thing..We all have choices..If one is not getting what they paid for that person is free to cancel the service and find a better one...No one is going to the homes of D* HD subs and grabbing money from them at gunpoint...If you don't like the food at a restaurant, don't eat there.....
One thing to take note of is that through out forums like this one you will find out that Cable's HD sucks, DISHs HD sucks, D*s HD sucks, and many cities OTA sucks.
The only perfect solution riding into town without sin on a white horse is FIOS. :rolleyes:
I wonder when the FIOS hating will start?

richiephx said:
... I may be generalizing but, I becha that many of the posters here, who take the adversarial position probably don't even vote in national or state elections and have a little tv complex :rolleyes:
Well you win the stupidest post award. :hatsoff:
I wouldn't consider my position adversarial, just more reality based.
And I never miss an election, well I have skipped a local primary. :eek:
My 62" DLP should be able to hold it's own against yours or any of the other HD-Lightweights tvs. ;)

Hey, my previous posts were made in the future. I wonder if I'll say the same things or if I'll change my mind after reading this...and if I change my mind, will this cause a catastrophic warp in the Time-Space Continuum?:confused:

Where is that damn Flux Capacitor?:p

riffjim4069 said:
Hey, my previous posts were made in the future. I wonder if I'll say the same things or if I'll change my mind after reading this...and if I change my mind, will this cause a catastrophic warp in the Time-Space Continuum?:confused:

Where is that damn Flux Capacitor?:p
Remember the future is not set, you can change your mind on HD-Lite. :)

You could also delete your post and repost it so that it won't stay at the end of the thread 'till 8pm. ;)

Anyone else in NY area having problems w/ locals?

New install, can't use my old 721..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)