HD-Lite Class Action

Well, if you'd also go to a high-end restaurant and be content with the 8 oz chuck steak they give you in place of the 12 oz tenderloin on the menu, you have a much greater tolerance for deception than I do.

Or maybe you're just an indiscriminate sucker. ;)
High-end or low-end ; if I know I am not going to get the meal in the picture, I must be ok with it if I keep going back and ordering the same thing.

In a sense you are going to Charlie's Steak House and ordering a steak you aren't happy with but you show up night after night and order the same steak.
Now to me that isn't a sucker that is a dumb @$$. Now my taste buds may not be as acute as some but I myself would stop going to any restaurant that I thought was ripping me off.
The Cable Beef Palace has a smaller menu but you may be happy with the quality of the few choices they have to offer.

Well, if you'd also go to a high-end restaurant and be content with the 8 oz chuck steak they give you in place of the 12 oz tenderloin on the menu, you have a much greater tolerance for deception than I do.

Or maybe you're just an indiscriminate sucker. ;)

Scott

The real sucker is the one who goes to the same restaurant every night and gets the same thing, and keeps going back and coming out unsatisfied each time. :D

High-end or low-end ; if I know I am not going to get the meal in the picture, I must be ok with it if I keep going back and ordering the same thing.

In a sense you are going to Charlie's Steak House and ordering a steak you aren't happy with but you show up night after night and order the same steak.
Now to me that isn't a sucker that is a dumb @$$. Now my taste buds may not be as acute as some but I myself would stop going to any restaurant that I thought was ripping me off.
The Cable Beef Palace has a smaller menu but you may be happy with the quality of the few choices they have to offer.
The real sucker is the one who goes to the same restaurant every night and gets the same thing, and keeps going back and coming out unsatisfied each time. :D

You guys would have good arguments, if I was actually purchasing HD service from Dish or DirecTV.

Of course, the other problem is that there are a whole lot of customers locked into long-term contracts that don't have an option of leaving without incurring a substantial penalty.

That doesn't apply to most restaurants, unless you've prepurchased non-refundable meal cards. In that case, you just might be stuck eating at a place that grossly misrepresents what it sells.

Scott

You guys would have good arguments, if I was actually purchasing HD service from Dish or DirecTV.
Why are you posting in this thread (The Dish Network Forum\Dish HD Discussions) ?
Are you receiving DISH HD by nefarious means?

Of course, the other problem is that there are a whole lot of customers locked into long-term contracts that don't have an option of leaving without incurring a substantial penalty.
Has anyone with a contract tried to get out of it by claiming that DISH is not offering HD as advertised? Contracts are there as a rule but exceptions are made all the time. I think that all the blow-hards that bitch about HD-Lite don't want to leave DISH, they just like to claim to be a victim at every turn, while they continue to ENJOY the HD DISH is providing them.

Dish is MUST give you free HD subscription for all your posts here !
No, I am a card carrying member of the Silver metal package.
But I'll turn it around on ya, YOU must get DISH HD for free since you obviously won't cancel your subscription to DISH's HD-Lite offerings.

I dont know what all the bitching is about as my PQ is quite good in HD and SD on my 5 year old Mits. 55" at 9' and has been calibrated. Maybe its because I'm only 65 miles from E* but then I do not have a DVR to play back prerecorded HD when I need to feel cheated. I only have a VIP211 problem free for 4-5 months now and a 811 for my beercan collection room and (with waiver ) RV for summer.

Mike

I dont know what all the bitching is about as my PQ is quite good in HD and SD on my 5 year old Mits. 55" at 9' and has been calibrated.
That's the point... If there was really something worth bitchin' there would be something worth leaving DISH about. But as we can see, no one here REALLY has a problem with DISH as they keep sending Charlie their checks. ;)

Obviously they don't have the business sense Charlie does as what he is doing is working...
"The company's gross adds (958,000) represents the highest mark DISH has ever seen over any quarter in its history, soundly outperforming analyst estimations across the board." - http://www.skyreport.com/#Story1
This link adds Salt to the wound as I already won this argument several pages back. :)

Why are you posting in this thread (The Dish Network Forum\Dish HD Discussions) ?
Are you receiving DISH HD by nefarious means?
I'm posting here in hopes of educating the uninformed consumers of how they are not getting what they're paying for.

Believe it or not, I'd like to see both Dish and DirecTV deliver tons of HD channels in HD.

Has anyone with a contract tried to get out of it by claiming that DISH is not offering HD as advertised? Contracts are there as a rule but exceptions are made all the time. I think that all the blow-hards that bitch about HD-Lite don't want to leave DISH, they just like to claim to be a victim at every turn, while they continue to ENJOY the HD DISH is providing them.
I don't know. I can't imagine either provider letting customers off the hook without a fight. There's significant cost in acquiring new customers (equipment, installation, etc.), and neither provider is going just forget about it.

Scott

I dont know what all the bitching is about as my PQ is quite good in HD and SD on my 5 year old Mits. 55" at 9' and has been calibrated. Maybe its because I'm only 65 miles from E* but then I do not have a DVR to play back prerecorded HD when I need to feel cheated. I only have a VIP211 problem free for 4-5 months now and a 811 for my beercan collection room and (with waiver ) RV for summer.

Mike
Glad to know you're happy with the service you're getting. My guess is that you've never seen actual HD, or your five-year-old HD set is incapable of fully displaying all the resolution of a true HD source. (By the way, your distance from Echostar has no bearing on the quality of the picture you're receiving).

The reason some of us are "bitching" is that Dish and DirecTV are both claiming to deliver HD, while at the same time removing up to 1/3 the resolution of the picture.

If you're not bothered by that, that's fine. But for those of us that want to have actual High Definition content - both now and in the future, it's a problem.

Scott

That's the point... If there was really something worth bitchin' there would be something worth leaving DISH about. But as we can see, no one here REALLY has a problem with DISH as they keep sending Charlie their checks. ;)

Obviously they don't have the business sense Charlie does as what he is doing is working...
"The company's gross adds (958,000) represents the highest mark DISH has ever seen over any quarter in its history, soundly outperforming analyst estimations across the board." - http://www.skyreport.com/#Story1
This link adds Salt to the wound as I already won this argument several pages back. :)
I don't know if you read the whole article, but this part contradicts your self-proclaimed victory:

One dark spot on an otherwise strong quarter, said Bernstein Research's Craig Moffett, was the rise in monthly churn which increased to 1.76 percent. Moffett said the number was "troubling" because it directly increases total acquisition spending levels without contributing to growth or value creation.

Losing almost 2% of their existing customers in one month is a pretty big loss. Maybe some of that is due to frustration over HD Lite - we have no way of knowing, but existing customers are leaving.

Scott

I don't know if you read the whole article, but this part contradicts your self-proclaimed victory:
Yes I read the whole article.
Let's pretend for a minute that ALL of the churn is due to HD-Lite.
This is the part that you need to know what "gross adds" means to know that this is a victory for DISH.

But now that we know that you don't even subscribe to DISH HD we can take your post for what they are; uninformed rants.

Glad to know you're happy with the service you're getting. My guess is that you've never seen actual HD, or your five-year-old HD set is incapable of fully displaying all the resolution of a true HD source.
Now you've done gone too far.
You can post all you want about DISH HD which you know nothing about since you don't even subscribe to it. You can call us that are satisfied with DISH HD, "suckers".
But don't you dare insult the age of a mans HDTV. He was watching HD when you were still changing the channels with a rotary knob. :D

Obviously you are the only one capable of judging HD quality, so if the man is happy with his HD there has got to be something wrong with him or his TV. :rolleyes:

You can post all you want about DISH HD which you know nothing about since you don't even subscribe to it. You can call us that are satisfied with DISH HD, "suckers".
But don't you dare insult the age of a mans HDTV. He was watching HD when you were still changing the channels with a rotary knob. :D

Obviously you are the only one capable of judging HD quality, so if the man is happy with his HD there has got to be something wrong with him or his TV. :rolleyes:

Im sorry but I have to disagree! He is right! Alot of you "Noobie's" have no earthly idea what a "TRUE" HD signal looks like and because of your accepting what you see as late adoptors, your acceptance of this watered down signal is hurting us early adoptors who know what the picture should look like, what resolution should be displayed and the Mbps that should be per frame. Probably the closest you all have ever seen to true HD is from an HD DVD player for those that have it or and OTA signal. The point is simple E* and D* are providing watered down version of what you are paying for (D* more than the others). Think about it! Why by a HDtv with the capacity to show 1920x1080i/p but you only able to get a portion of it! Thats like buying a 8 pack of Hotdogs but only having 3 buns. Sadly some will accept that they can have 3 hotdogs but for us who want to all 8, we are willing to fight for it!:hungry:

Last edited:
Yes I read the whole article.
Let's pretend for a minute that ALL of the churn is due to HD-Lite.
This is the part that you need to know what "gross adds" means to know that this is a victory for DISH.
Losing existing customers is not good news for Dish, since acquiring new customers is much more expensive than simply retaining those they already have. This is especially true if this is the beginning of a trend.

But now that we know that you don't even subscribe to DISH HD we can take your post for what they are; uninformed rants.
How does not being a current Dish's HD subscriber make me uninformed?

Scott

I just went to a e-bay Store today to get rid of a VOOM receiver, a E-86 D* HD receiver and a SD D* Tivo DVR. Guess what, none of it was worth more than $30 each. I paid $650 with warranty @ BestBuy for that E-86! That was over 5 years ago and it was worth every penny due to having real HD OTA way back then. Voom spoiled me for HD and now I'm stuck with both D* & E* HD Lite after a big investment in a Home Theater. Never would have thought PQ would have gone down since then. Should have gotten even better, right? Wrong. Sure better than SD programing but not nearly as good as free OTA PQ most of the time. DISH HD out shines Directv HD and with 1080p becoming more of an issue I can't believe that either D* or E* won't start offering us better PQ as our numbers increase as a sales tool. Maybe next year about this time we will have moved on to other issues. IT COULD HAPPEN!

If you don't think manufacturers have made great strides in HD picture quality in the past five years, you haven't been paying attention. If you don't think that we'll see even more improvements in the next five years, you haven't been paying attention.

If you want satellite-delivered HD to remain a down-rezzed, bit-starved version of what it once was and should be, then feel free to keep denying their deceptions, but please don't call us the ignorant, uninformed ones.

Scott

SRW1002658.35: How about getting a LAWYER and going after Dish and getting out of your contract, I dare you.
I have little doubt there will be a lawsuit filed against Dish, similar to the one against DirecTV.

To join the suit, I'd actually have to be a current Dish HD subscriber, so that leaves me out.

If I were locked in a contract with Dish, I'd likely pursue the matter.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts