HD Local Pixelation Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

btmccain

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Arab, AL
CBS 42 in HD out of Birmingham has been having a lot of pixelation problems recently. It was very irritating today during the Bama-Ole Miss football game and of course the OTA tuner does not work yet on the HR20. I called DirecTV and they want to send a tech out saying there may be an issue with my dish. I argued that this was the only channel having the problem, but they still want to send someone out. He said they would not check anything on their end unless there were multiple complaints which apparently has not happened. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem with only one of my locals, channel 8. The local NBC affiliate, WLFA. It started last night in the middle of the Nascar race.

DTV also wants to send a technician to check it out. They say it's a problem with the cable. If it ws the cable it would affect other channels too.

ARGH!

Same problem with my NBC local in Memphis, I have not even called, can't be the cable:

1. Also gets stuck when I FF a recorded game, a fix I noticed is it never gets stuck when I FF using that 30 second button instead of the normal FF button for those having this problem.

2.. Sometimes the thing does not record suond at all on a show, rarely but does happen.

3. Bad stuttering effect, mostly on games.

Same in Boston.

The best part is when you call D* and they give you the, "ohhh really? We havent had any calls on that problem. But we will take your word for it and give you the HD package free for four mounths."

Same thing in NH. CBS is the absolute worst for HD signal. DTV sent out one tech who spent 5 minutes in my house before telling me the signal looked fine and there was nothing he could. Of course the signal looks fine on local HD channels between 8-12 or 1-5 because THERE IS LITTLE TO NO HD PROGRAMMING ON during those times during the week. When I called the second time they said they would sent out a Sr. Tech. Well, I am glad to see that I am taking my precious time out of work for the unexperienced newbies to show up at my house!!! The Sr. tech came out and played with the direction in which the dish was pointed. That same evening the problem still remains. Customer support did give me a $50 credit and 2 months free of Showtime after complaining about the quailty of the service and threatening to drop it numerous times. Yesterday, same problems during the Bills/Dolphins game. I have another tech coming out on Saturday and learned that my commitment for purchasing the HD package is now 2 years and not the 1 year I was originally told about. The customer service rep told me I could not dispute this over the phone but would have to put it in writing and send it a PO box via snail mail. It is beginning to look like the $175 termination fee will cause less problems and less stress.

I tried as well to watch the Bama game from CBS out of Birmingham and it looked like snow vision. But I have never been happy with CBS from the Birmingham market.

1. Also gets stuck when I FF a recorded game, a fix I noticed is it never gets stuck when I FF using that 30 second button instead of the normal FF button for those having this problem.

2.. Sometimes the thing does not record suond at all on a show, rarely but does happen.

Just got my HR20 this weekend and noticed these 2 problems already. I am also using OTA HD on my HR10-250 and sometimes it would do these same things. I just figured it was a problem with my UHF antennna not getting a strong enough signal. Now that I see the same things from D*, I'm thinking it must be the local station's problem.

I think it's the local NBC. other than the stuck in FF problem, but it also may be due to the signal strength from the local station affecting it, who knows, but using that 30 second button (if you hit it 3x it FF it 1.5 minutes, perfect for ballgame TV timeouts) it never sticks, and I kind of get used to the 8mm after a while, annoying, but when I travel to europe and watch HD in my hotel, a lot of games they televise from the states like NBA and stuff on ESPN International, if it's a feed from the US, it has that 8mm effect, so it's got to be the signal format somehow, I am not a techie, but when I asked a friend of mine who works for the FEMEXFUT (the Mexico Soccer Federation) and travels to europe and has done work with Televisa FWIW, he says it has smoethnig to do with the cheap ass signal they use to realy stuff from our side of the globe to europe via satellite, saves $$$, so if it's like a soccer game or Rugby from Australia or Africa or the Americas you will get a prime signal and you won;t have that 8mm effect watching a game on Sky or BBC. Sure enough, one time over there I was watching a tri-nations Rugby match on Sky, no 8mm effect. Not sure if any of that was legit information as my buddy said this was something his friends at Televisa had told him, not something he knew for sure, but that certainly made sense from what I saw. SO maybe our one or two locals that are having the marked difference in signal quality went el cheapo on us, who knowss but I know DTV and/or the chanel will never tell you the truth.

I'm having the same problem with only one of my locals, channel 8. The local NBC affiliate, WLFA. It started last night in the middle of the Nascar race.

DTV also wants to send a technician to check it out. They say it's a problem with the cable. If it ws the cable it would affect other channels too.

ARGH!

Well if you have wrong type of cable you will have pixelation on HD channels. It doesnt mean you will have pixels ALL THE TIME. You can have them From time to time. It can happen on one channel or on multiple channels. Lets say you watching a show. You see pixelation you switch channels to see if it happens on other channels. Its not. But you only switched channels for a few seconds. Then you turn it back on the same channel because you are watching That particular show. So your conclusion: only channel 8 is having pixelation problem.

As far as I know CHANNELS dont have pixelation issues. Its either hardware (cable receiver dish multiswitch) or software on the receiver. But I might be wrong.

Well everyone. Orlando had there local HD's turned on back at the end of June and there has been pixelation problems on all our channels off and on since then. Some nights are worse than others. I was watching CSI Miami last night and the audio kept going out and there was only minor pixel problems. Either way D* needs to get on the ball and start fixing these problems. I guess they are waiting to roll out everything before fixing the problems, but that could be late 2007 or sometime in 2008.

Well everyone. Orlando had there local HD's turned on back at the end of June and there has been pixelation problems on all our channels off and on since then. Some nights are worse than others. I was watching CSI Miami last night and the audio kept going out and there was only minor pixel problems. Either way D* needs to get on the ball and start fixing these problems. I guess they are waiting to roll out everything before fixing the problems, but that could be late 2007 or sometime in 2008.

Apparantly, they have been fixing the problems in some markets like NYC and Chicago....but the pace is not nearly fast enough. Big markets like Boston are still having big problems.

Dont feel bad the cbs 42 for birmingham also pixelates on dish too. I have noticed it is only on HD programming. SO I assume it is an issue with the cbs feed to the local area...

It is definitely the CBS and FOX network feeds bcause I went out and slapped my HD antenna on the side of the house and got the exact same problems; pixelation every couple of minutes on CBS and pixelation and intermittent sound problems with FOX. this all day while the NFL games were on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)