HD Locals DNS Waiver Question??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah if I do decide to do this a person would have to have a very good story made up. And make sure they stick to it. After thinking about it some I'm not sure that it's worth it. The main reason I want the locals in HD is so I can watch the NFL in HD. But, next year the NFL is moving their games to NBC and CBS. I got approved for NBC, and there's been rumors around my area that I'll be able to get CBS and ABC OTA by next year, so if that's the case then all I would be missing is Fox and I can live with that for awhile.

Just switch to cable and you won't have to worry about it anymore, I have DirecTV but am seriously thinking about ripping off my dish. I just got propositioned from Time Warner cable, ALL the HD content of DirecTV plus: INHD1, INHD2, Tine Warner Channel, TNTHD and all the local channels in HD, a total of 18. Plus it is MUCH cheaper than DirecTV.

Frogs always looking and jumping from freebie deal to freebie deal because the grass always seems greener. The TRUTH be told everyone knows that not all cable is created equal and just because 3 or 4 major metro cable markets have the wherewithal and political pull to get anything and everything on their system (they are usually the content owner which is why they have it) and then highly subside costs for the first 6 months (not to mention all the bundled services you need to maintain to keep the pricing levels) still doesn't describe the vast majority of the US cable systems that are severely lacking and in far worse shape than either DBS company, not to mention they are of equal costs and in most cases MORE expensive AFTER the specials and subsidies run out and surely AFTER they stop receiving all the special ruling treatment they have marketed for themselves over the year via the NAB and the FCC; that time is running out fast! Ripoff your dish and PLEASE send me all your hardware, I will gladly pay for the shipping.

I guess I'm somewhat lucky, I get NBC, FOX, & CBS DNS HD feeds thru D*. ( Automatically approved for FOX, local NBC & CBS stations approved waivers )

But my ABC waiver was denied, not by my main local ABC station, but some POS lo-power UHF ABC affiliate who does not even broadcast in HD. I barely receive the analog OTA feed from this station. I called the station, but the manager was hard to deal with and I got nowhere. I've been reading the new SHEVERA law trying to get some answers.

I was told to request a signal test, but if the station does not even boradcast in HD yet, what will they test, the analog signal? I have both analog and HD OTA antennas.... My reception of the analog feed from this station is not good at all, even with my tweaking.

PMKS said:
I was told to request a signal test, but if the station does not even boradcast in HD yet, what will they test, the analog signal? I have both analog and HD OTA antennas.... My reception of the analog feed from this station is not good at all, even with my tweaking.

Analog; correct. They only approve or deny waivers based on analog. If you get your DNS waiver it opens up both the analog and HD as I have read it. You can thank the NAB and all the local affiliates for these headaches.

charper1 said:
Analog; correct. They only approve or deny waivers based on analog. If you get your DNS waiver it opens up both the analog and HD as I have read it. You can thank the NAB and all the local affiliates for these headaches.

So if I got DNS for my locals I should be able to get the SD national feed of the networks along with the HD?

:)

If you have DNS waivers (or are O&O) and you subscribe to the HD pack, then you should also get the HD network feeds that correspond to the SD-DNS service(s) you are receiving. That's the way it was laid out to me, and my service has always reflected the same.

I would love to switch to cable tv since the cable in the nearest town offers all the locals in HD plus several other channels. However, I live in rural South Dakota. There is no cable tv for me. My only options are D* and E*.

Neutron said:
One thing you can do is request for a signal test. If they show that you cannot get their signal in reliably then they have to grant the waiver to you.

Never heard of a signal test before.

What is it?
How do I request it?

pro-96 said:
Actually with DNS HD Locals, you get all 8 channels both east and west. That's how I have it here at home.

80 CBS-HD N.Y
81 CBS-HD L.A
82 NBC-HD N.Y
83 NBC-HD L.A
86 ABC-HD N.Y
87 ABC-HD L.A
88 FOX-HD N.Y
89 FOX-HD L.A

Gotta love Jay Leno HD at 835pm :)
How in the world did you get all those? How can I get all those?
Were you grandfathered in?

charper1 said:
If you have DNS waivers (or are O&O) and you subscribe to the HD pack, then you should also get the HD network feeds that correspond to the SD-DNS service(s) you are receiving. That's the way it was laid out to me, and my service has always reflected the same.

Can you still get DNS waivers?
Do you also get East and West coast?

Thanks
Mark

I was able to talk to the engineer at my NBC affiliate (the other 3 were approved, NBC was denied, D* told me) and explained the terrain around my house and he agreed that the terrain and distance (~65 miles) would make it very tough to get their HD signal, which isn't at full strength yet. He approved the waivers and transferred me to a secretary to get my info to send to D*. She looked it up and told me I had already been approved, twice in fact. She was nice enough to fax the info to D* and made a follow-up call to D* to make sure they got me hooked up.

This little experience told me that D* was not processsing the waiver properly. Why NBC was 'dropped' twice is beyond me. All the towers are at the some location and NBC is the weakest of the 4. It seemed really weird that they were the one not approved.

So, my point is, see if the stations have the engineers info online and call and ask to speak to him/her. Be very courteous and calm and just explain that you would be very happy to watch the local broadcast if you could, but that you would really appreciate if you could get waivers, at least for HD. (This is a total BS line, as they don't grant waivers based on analog/digital/HD, but it makes you sound a little more sympathetic.)

It's worth a try, just remember, they are doing you a favor. (You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar, or whatever that is.)

You can still get waivers, there have been cases reported here. As far as getting both feeds, you need to be in an O&O area or a total white area (no ATO service at all). In almost all cases now, if you do get waivers, you will generally get just E or W, not both.

Cable

charper1 said:
Frogs always looking and jumping from freebie deal to freebie deal because the grass always seems greener. The TRUTH be told everyone knows that not all cable is created equal and just because 3 or 4 major metro cable markets have the wherewithal and political pull to get anything and everything on their system (they are usually the content owner which is why they have it) and then highly subside costs for the first 6 months (not to mention all the bundled services you need to maintain to keep the pricing levels) still doesn't describe the vast majority of the US cable systems that are severely lacking and in far worse shape than either DBS company, not to mention they are of equal costs and in most cases MORE expensive AFTER the specials and subsidies run out and surely AFTER they stop receiving all the special ruling treatment they have marketed for themselves over the year via the NAB and the FCC; that time is running out fast! Ripoff your dish and PLEASE send me all your hardware, I will gladly pay for the shipping.

True enough, every cable company offers a different deal. The deal I was talking about is for the Kansas City area and specifically if you bundle it with high speed INTERNET. There is no subsidized cost or anything, they are really targeting DirecTV because if you switch you get 3 free months. I am sensing that cable is starting to get their act together and they seem to be leaping out ahead of the faltering satellites, especially with Voom dying. the only thing that keeps me with DirecTV is the NFL Sunday Ticket, also I have heard that most cable companies have terrible PQ? But I don't see how it could be worse than DirecTV's, whos PQ is horrible.

Now, instead of moving to some remote area in the country, can't you just "move" to, let's say LA, where people qualify for all four stations??? So, new customers would purchase the system, have it installed (for free) then "move" to a qualified place (if the person has friends there who will allow to use use their address even better!). :D

It's either that or purchase the new HD DVR for ExpressVu!

DTVEmployee said:
Now this of course is just a hypothetical for people that must have HD feeds :

Now lets say Some One Who Isnt Me had HD equipment and the HD package. Now like most of you guys are saying SWIM is on the edge of the digital feed for local networks in the area, or the networks don't even broadcast in digital format. So even with an elaborate Off Air Antenna you cant get locals in HD. Now here is the trick. Call DTV and let them know that you have moved (of course this area you move into will be in the middle of nowhere with no local coverage). But also inform them that you will be converting you old home into an office where all of your billing will be sent. At the same time ask to be transferred to the HD DNS department where you will be given all the networks in HD via satellite, no waivers required. Once you get the networks in HD, go onto the DTV website and change you SERVICE address back to your old address. Because of confusing DNS laws, once DTV turns on DNS stations for you, THEY CAN NEVER TURN THEM OFF FOR ANY REASONE EXCEPT YOU ASKING THEM TO! So once you update you address on the webpage your locals will be restored and you wil get to keep the HD Networks FREE!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)