HD Locals In Columbus, OH

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My PQ is pretty good. I had issues the first day or two with audio being out of sync on my H20 units. Haven't checked it in a couple of weeks tho.

I did a comparison yesterday between NBC Columbus and NBC New York during the afternoon hockey game and there was no contest. NBC Columus was bright, sharp, crisp and clean while the NY feed (channel 82) was dull, less colorful, less vibrant and seemingly muted. We really have been screwed by Direct's manipulation of the HD signal. I cannot measure the resolution of the HD l get for the Columbus HD locals, but I am pretty sure that I was seeing the difference in 1920x1080 versus 1280x1080 and the bandwisths constraints thereof.

Whenever I do comparisons of the 720p stations (Fox and ABC) I really do not see much difference, primarily because Direct is not altering those resolutions.

I agree 100% - the CMH NBC primetime quality blows the NY NBC feed out of the water. I imagine that's because, in part, that channel is using MPEG-2?

landlocked said:
I agree 100% - the CMH NBC primetime quality blows the NY NBC feed out of the water. I imagine that's because, in part, that channel is using MPEG-2?

Being MPEG2 or MPEG4 should not make any difference. The difference would wether D* is sending a true HD signal or if they are sending it in HD Lite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts