Hd Locals Through Cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jmartinacevedo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Hi guys,

I noticed that LG has a a line of HD decoders with (unscrambled) QAM decoding capability for HD signals through cable.

Does this mean that I could conceivably plug in my Comcast cable line into one of these LG boxes and watch all the HD locals available in my Comcast lineup? (i.e., ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS, here in Connecticut.)

I'm thinking that in the unlikely event that my OTA reception of hd locals were not to work well (even after my upgraded antenna is installed), I'd consider purchasing one of these boxes and get my locals through Comcast.

Any thoughts?
Martin-

Comcast passes the 8VSB versions of the OTA channels they carry. This means that with any 8VSB tuner (HD Ready, Voom IRD, Dish Network, etc.) you can receive the locals in digital form, including HD if you subscribe to standard cable. The QAM locals are for the STB and the one-STB solution that digital cable is. It keeps things simple, while not alienating folks that are savvy and wish to tune the HD locals with their HD-ready set along with their analogs.

Whether or not the Voom IRD will tune these 8VSB feeds is questionable, since Comcast may rearrange the frequencies. Voom's mapping is based on info from tribune, which is based on the actual broadcast frequencies. Assuming Comcast keeps the 8VSB's on the same frequency they receive them, then there is no issue.

The Echostar and DirecTV receivers allow scanning (I believe). This means that the frequencies are searched out, rather than programmed via a 3rd party. In this scenario, it wouldn't matter if Comcast had changed the frequencies since the IRD's could seek them out. Voom intends to implement this in the near future.

Comcast passes the 8VSB versions of the OTA channels they carry.
This is not true, at least in most Comcast markets.

Does this mean that I could conceivably plug in my Comcast cable line into one of these LG boxes and watch all the HD locals available in my Comcast lineup? (i.e., ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS, here in Connecticut.)
Yes.

The LG has a built-in 256QAM tuner, much like digital cable boxes, to receive unencrypted HD locals from Comcast. Currently, most Comcast systems offer InHD1, InHD2, and the HD locals in unencrypted 256QAM as part of limited basic cable; the InHD1 and InHD2 will be moving to a digital tier, so those won't be free / unencrypted for much longer.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I kept expanded basic cable for the rest of the TVs in the house after we got VOOM, so I'm very tempted to get the receiver and get my HD locals through it.

Martin-

jmartin,

Keep in mind that Comcast will just rent you the box for $5/mo in most markets. I am paying about $14/mo for limited basic + $5/mo to rent their HD box. The total before taxes and fees is about $19/mo for the HD locals, plus the two InHD channels. Unfortunately, taxes and license fees increase the bill by another ~$10 (so about $29 for locals plus two InHD channels).

I've always received my locals with an antenna, but I have limited basic because it gets me Comcast Sportsnet HD. CSN-HD is currently sharing InHD (CSN-HD interrupts InHD when home games are on in HD), so I get it as part of limited basic. The InHD and CSN-HD channels are expected to move to Digital Basic (about $60/mo + $5/mo to rent STB + $10 in taxes and fees) this summer, but for now, it's worth it to see my area sports team in HD for $29/mo, especially considering that I'd be paying an extra $15/mo for cable Internet service if I cancel limited basic.

Well, I tested it!

:D

I bought an LG LST 3150A HDTV decoder/DVD combo (the only LG model they carry) from CC to test my Comcast line for unscrambled DTV channels and it works!

I got all the locals in HD plus 10 other SD junk channels. I'll return the unit on Monday and then probably will order the 3100A model on the Web for much cheaper. Since I'm keeping expanded basic for the rest of the house, I've decided to get my locals through cable, rather than fumble with the antenna on the roof, the installation ordeal, and the uncertainty of the reception issues... (As I noted in a previous post, when I had my V* installed, the installer suggested for me not to bother installing the Stealth, so he only installed the dish)

Martin-

Those LG decoders are solid unit

jmartinacevedo said:
:D

I bought an LG LST 3150A HDTV decoder/DVD combo (the only LG model they carry) from CC to test my Comcast line for unscrambled DTV channels and it works!

I got all the locals in HD plus 10 other SD junk channels. I'll return the unit on Monday and then probably will order the 3100A model on the Web for much cheaper. Since I'm keeping expanded basic for the rest of the house, I've decided to get my locals through cable, rather than fumble with the antenna on the roof, the installation ordeal, and the uncertainty of the reception issues... (As I noted in a previous post, when I had my V* installed, the installer suggested for me not to bother installing the Stealth, so he only installed the dish)

Martin-

Those LG decoders are solid unit

wish I could do that with my D* reciever! It has a cable input, but it only scans for 125 cable channels, and my local HD channels are in the 180's! :(

If your local HD's are in the 180's, they are QAM. This means your 8VSB-only D* receiver couldn't access them.

As far as the gentleman's statement regarding Comcast, here is an engineer's retort:

Sir,

We appreciate your interest in Comcast High Definition!

It is Comcast policy to carry the digital locals intact in our limited basic tier in our HD markets. If you have an HD-ready television set simply connect your cable service to the 8VSB tuner. The channel may be placed on a different frequency to accomodate our lineup, but it's there.

Sincerely,
Chris Farquar
Comcast Corp.

Basically what this means is if you can scan for the stations, the 8VSB's are there if your system carries HD channels including locals. Besides, there is no telling when the cableco's will choose to encrypt all QAM streams...effectively nullifying your purchase of the LG product.

I'm not sure about that, I have Pioneer Pro-1110HD which can tune to 8VSB from air or cable and I can tune to OTA perfectly but can't find any channel from my Comcast cable feed (all analog plus digital cable-Chicago). any ideas?

Engineer's statement re: comcast HD locals

That's strange since I the LG box I used has a QAM tuner only. My understanding was that Comcast uses "QAM/256" (?) for their local HD channels--hence the reason I was able to capture them using the LG STB.

If I remember correctly, I think I read something online to the effect that Comcast does not use 8VSB... Maybe the engineer guy had it wrong.

In any event, it worked for me. (By the way, I'm in Middletown, Connecticut.)

Cheers,
Martin-

cameron,

More than likely, that Comcast representative simply mistook 8VSB for 256QAM. However, if Comcast has any HD in 8-VSB in your area, that is the exception, not the rule. Their corporate policy is to deliver HD locals as part of limited basic using only 256QAM, and Comcast executives have said as much elsewhere.

Ken F said:
cameron,

More than likely, that Comcast representative simply took 8VSB for 256QAM. However, if Comcast has any HD in 8-VSB, that is the exception, not the rule. Their corporate policy is to deliver HD locals as part of limited basic using only 256QAM, and Comcast executives have said as much elsewhere.

Yeah mine are apparently just QAM HD's, no 8-VSB HD locals for me. Scanned and turned up only basic cable channels.

Where do you get the LG box? CC? BB? RS? Did a search on ebay, yahoo, CC web site and I got nothing in return. Im ready to buy one and try it out.

The problem with comcast is that they have acquired so many different markets in the last few years, AT&T Broadband for me, and have simply adapterd the existing systems to their programming, different areas operate very differently. My area does not broadcast the 8VSB signals over the cable, and the remodulated QAM signals were so corrupted that it was unwatchable. This was the primary reason i switched to Voom. I couldn't watch the locals over Comcast, and even the premium HD channels were pretty badly corrupted. I still have comcast running to the house, but it is only for internet.

Definitely using 256 QAM and 8VSB here. I've been able to receive both.

Yes, where Comcast carries HD locals, they are in 256 QAM. However, there are systems other than mine that carry the 8VSB's as well (Atlanta).

HD locals in QAM are worthless to someone that wants the OTA's in digital via a limited basic and they have an HD-ready set (8VSB). This is why these systems are carrying both.

Lg Hdtv Box

:) I bought it at Circuit City - but I'm returning it because I don't need the DVD player combo, plus I wanted only for testing purposes. THe LG 3100A is the one I want, and is $150 cheaper, and is available online at various places. It will allow me to get the QAM HD locals and forego the off air antenna-

THis is a sample of what the LG box read in my COmcast area:

66-4 (CBS-DT)
66-6 (FOX-DT)
71-1 (NBC-DT)
71-2 (PBS-DT)
73-8 (ABD-DT)

As I said, for some reason the box also captured a bunch of other SD junk channels (E!, DIY, Style).

Cheers,
Martin-

Help me understand

I have been reading this thread and am very curious. I have a few questions.

1. What does my Voom box decode if i throw my comcast cable line into the back of it?

2. If it does anything what do i need to do to set that up?

3. If I were to buy this LG reciever. I could just pay comcast for basic reception and run my cable through this box and I would get my locals analog and my locals digital/HD?

Right now I live 24 miles west of philly and do not get abc, or nbc from my ota. I have tried with and w/o the diplexor with two different antennas to no avail. Thanks so much

1. What does my Voom box decode if i throw my comcast cable line into the back of it?
Nothing as of now. Some people are hoping this will change in the next software version. I wouldn't bet on it.

3. If I were to buy this LG reciever. I could just pay comcast for basic reception and run my cable through this box and I would get my locals analog and my locals digital/HD?
The LG-3510 does digital locals, but not analog ones. Before buying any box, I would check to see how much your cable charges in rent for their HD STB. At $5/mo, you could rent the cable company's box for over eight years before it would equal the cost of the LG 3510. It's not likely you'd still be using the LG five years from now, let alone eight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)