HD Nationals: The 10 Most Needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
Bare with me, please, because I wanna be careful here: I don't work for DirecTV, but am wanting to, respectfully, pick people's brains on this matter.

Let's say you were in charge of bringing in 10 national high-definition [HD] channels that you figure—from a business standpoint—must be added to DirecTV's lineup. You're picking 10 that have to come in for competitive reasons. That they need to be made available for DirecTV customers.

For HD nationals, what are the 10 most needed channels you would make priority in adding to the DirecTV lineup?

(If you want to explain why—go ahead; but I'm not asking you to do so.)

Just switched yesterday. For me:

1. EpixHD
2. AMC HD
3. BBCAmerica
4. G4
5. TCM (even though nothing is HD yet)
6. IFC
7. Complete all the movie packages (HBO, Max, etc.)
8. Retro/Indieplex (Starz)
9. Africa Channel
10. Fearnet
11. Cooking Channel

S~

Just switched yesterday. For me:

1. EpixHD
2. AMC HD
3. BBCAmerica
4. G4
5. TCM (even though nothing is HD yet)
6. IFC
7. Complete all the movie packages (HBO, Max, etc.)
8. Retro/Indieplex (Starz)
9. Africa Channel
10. Fearnet
11. Cooking Channel

S~

So, are all these on DISH ?

Ya know, I just noticed the other day we had Cooking Channel in SD. I was like "where the f did that come from" hehe. I added it for my wife.

That was just a name change ... however, I can't remember what it was before that.

I think it was fine living

Dont know if I have a Ten channel wish list;

Here is my wish list for HD:

1. Fox sports Soccer
2. HLN

With the recent add of ESPNU-I am all most set!

So, are all these on DISH ?

Some, not all. Epix, TCM, G4, BBCA, HBos and Cinemax, Starz Retro/Indie are all on Dish. Epix is partially owned by Paramount, so their exclusives are all there... Ironman, Star Trek, etc. Cool channel.

AMC is Rainbow/C*, so it'll never be there.

Africa, Fearnet, and Cooking Channel HD launch later on.

S~

Some, not all. Epix, TCM, G4, BBCA, HBos and Cinemax, Starz Retro/Indie are all on Dish. Epix is partially owned by Paramount, so their exclusives are all there... Ironman, Star Trek, etc. Cool channel.

AMC is Rainbow/C*, so it'll never be there.

Africa, Fearnet, and Cooking Channel HD launch later on.

S~

Just wondered, if they were all on DISH, why did you leave ? :)
Is Epix in HD ?

He posted in another thread that the new box fee's had driven up his cost, as it has for other dish subs. Also, I was glad to see he noticed that the D* PQ was an improvement over Dish's. So many fought this in the past, but more and more converts are agreeing. I still think the order has to be: 1) FIOS, 2) Directv, 3) Dish

Just wondered, if they were all on DISH, why did you leave ? :)
Is Epix in HD ?

Fees, fees, and more fees. Would have dropped an HDDVR to keep fees down, but they refused to correct a problem they created when they moved my Dish. CEO office never returned my call. 3 weeks later another CEO rep finally did try to call but we kept playing phone tag. Never called back after I said I would probably be leaving bacause of the fees and their initial unwillingness to address the problem. I could have gone directly through the VP of engineering to have it corrected without hassle, but I shouldn't have had to do that. Something seriously changed back in February and they are pretty much unwilling to do anything for anyone.

S~

Dont care about anything but BBC America HD. And even that, I've been all set since they released Comedy Central HD. As much as I dont mind more movie channels, I barely find enough stuff to watch on one of them.

So from a business perspective, the HD spectrum is pretty darn good and I would focus on getting more local markets in HD and push the MRV solution. The more HR24 and H24 units that are deployed with DECA and SWM, the harder it is for Cable and Dish to compete. The Whole Home Solution with locals is the key.

I'm hoping that soon Directv adds:

AMC HD
BBCAmerica HD

Would also like to see RTV added. I know, It's just SD

1. Outdoor Channel HD (or any other hunting channel in hd would be nice)
2. That is it for me, maybe chiller in HD, but I think Directv has done a great job at adding channels!!!

I am getting every channel in HD that I watch. I would not mind seeing:

1. FMC - HD
2. G4 - HD
3. AMC - HD

Fees, fees, and more fees. Would have dropped an HDDVR to keep fees down, but they refused to correct a problem they created when they moved my Dish. CEO office never returned my call. 3 weeks later another CEO rep finally did try to call but we kept playing phone tag. Never called back after I said I would probably be leaving bacause of the fees and their initial unwillingness to address the problem. I could have gone directly through the VP of engineering to have it corrected without hassle, but I shouldn't have had to do that. Something seriously changed back in February and they are pretty much unwilling to do anything for anyone.

S~

Yup and they all add up ..... D* has fees to but not as much as DISH.
D* recvers are not 14-17 each per month.

I would rather pay a bit more initially and save some on the monthly :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)