HD on TBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sori4mvp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Not enjoying the postseason as much because for the first time since 1993 I'm watching postseason baseball without my beloved Yankees in it, I'm sure most of you might be happy about that. :eek: Anyway, I must say, the HD on TBS is HIGH quality, probably along with YES and NESN the best out there. Good stuff, love the PQ!!!!!

One more thing.

Is it me or is ESPN by far the WORST when it comes to HD. Also being a basketball fan, TNT is by far pretty damn crappy on the PQ with the HD. What's up with that? I mean TBS and TNT are like sister networks yet one has great PQ and the other just flat out stinks!!!!! The NBA playoffs last year were brutal for the PQ on TNT. Something with the MPEG different or what? What causes this? Call me somewhat of an HD novice I guess, just got HD back in April for the first time ever.

The NBA playoffs last year were brutal for the PQ on TNT. Something with the MPEG different or what? What causes this? Call me somewhat of an HD novice I guess, just got HD back in April for the first time ever.

The new Mpeg-4 channels make the TNT comparison mute. Aside from NBC sports (2008-9 Superbowl) all the picture quality looks nice this year. I don't know why but they look to be a season or two behind the times. NFL SF is absolutely perfect this year with no noticeable drop-off in other channels on Sundays.

Not enjoying the postseason as much because for the first time since 1993 I'm watching postseason baseball without my beloved Yankees in it, I'm sure most of you might be happy about that. :eek: Anyway, I must say, the HD on TBS is HIGH quality, probably along with YES and NESN the best out there. Good stuff, love the PQ!!!!!

One more thing.

Is it me or is ESPN by far the WORST when it comes to HD. Also being a basketball fan, TNT is by far pretty damn crappy on the PQ with the HD. What's up with that? I mean TBS and TNT are like sister networks yet one has great PQ and the other just flat out stinks!!!!! The NBA playoffs last year were brutal for the PQ on TNT. Something with the MPEG different or what? What causes this? Call me somewhat of an HD novice I guess, just got HD back in April for the first time ever.
I would still put Fox as the worst. Wait until the NLCS on Fox and compare the PQ to the ALCS on TBS and you will see how bad Fox is.

CBS seems really good, but Fox is definitely behind. I can see a big difference now that football season has started and I get a good comparison.

I would still put Fox as the worst. Wait until the NLCS on Fox and compare the PQ to the ALCS on TBS and you will see how bad Fox is.

Fox has just had trouble with the whole production of weekend baseball in general, not specifically the picture quality. Cubs weekend series on Fox have just blown; sound, PG & switching between SD & HD. I hope they figure it out because their football broadcasts rule.

Not sure why ESPN broadcasts in 720 (at least that is how it comes to me), time for them to step up to 1080 I would think.

Not sure why ESPN broadcasts in 720 (at least that is how it comes to me), time for them to step up to 1080 I would think.
. Currently they are broadcasting in 720P, which is in theory, better for fast moving programs like sports since it is progressive. I doubt you would see a difference in PQ by changing to 1080i (i=interlaced) in this case. It seems to be, from some stuff I have read, an equipment issue of some sort on their end. I have also read that they are aware of it. Whether or not something is being done, I do not know.

I will say that ESPN does look slightly better since the mpeg 4 conversion (to me anyway)

I will say that ESPN does look slightly better since the mpeg 4 conversion (to me anyway)
I'd say that it looks MUCH better. Everything is a far cry from what it used to be. No more muddy image with bland colors. Much more vibrant and eye-catching.

Remember, Fox used to say that people cannot see the difference so they used to broadcast 'Fox 480p Widescreen', not HD. So I think they are still playing catch-up and saving money on eqpt as long as possible.

It was an anamorphic SD picture so when you told your tv to stretch it was widescreen SD.

They used that in a superbowl a while back.

What a rip.

Fox in my area is Great.NBC HD sucks,not just sports, all shows are behind the other networks..The best PQ I have seen from them was the debate last night.

Maybe the sports on TBS is high quality but the rest of their stuff blows. Everything else I've seen on there is stretched SD. It's awful. If a movie is available on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD there is no excuse for showing an upscaled and/or stretched SD version on an HD channel. As for reruns of old SD shows, they should be shown with bars on the side rather than a distorted picture.

Maybe the sports on TBS is high quality but the rest of their stuff blows. Everything else I've seen on there is stretched SD. It's awful. If a movie is available on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD there is no excuse for showing an upscaled and/or stretched SD version on an HD channel. As for reruns of old SD shows, they should be shown with bars on the side rather than a distorted picture.

TBS does have other shows in HD. Everybody Loves Raymond is in HD, Tyler Perry's and Bill Engvall's shows are in HD. Frank TV is in HD and I have seen some movies in HD as well. However, I will agree with you that they should stop stretching the non HD stuff. I hate stretch-o-vision.

. Currently they are broadcasting in 720P, which is in theory, better for fast moving programs like sports since it is progressive. I doubt you would see a difference in PQ by changing to 1080i (i=interlaced) in this case. It seems to be, from some stuff I have read, an equipment issue of some sort on their end. I have also read that they are aware of it. Whether or not something is being done, I do not know.

Yes. MPEG4 does look better. ESPN hd still has issues. They have had issues for as long as they have been on the air. You would think there would be a fix for better pq. To me, hd was made for movies and sports. ESPN is ruining the sports part with bad pq and way too many graphics!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)