HD outside the US

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

panchopantera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I used to live in LA and temporarilyoutside the country, where DTV reception is still good. I kept my LA subscription and installed the equipment in my new home. I´m able to watch every channel, except local LA channles in the LA spotbeam.

I´m thinking about upgrading to HD, but I´m not sure about what to expect in terms of the channels I can recieve.. are most/some HD locals transmited through a spotbeam? I read some are recieved OTA, which of course I cannot recieve...

Can someone please help me understand what channels will I be able to watch?

Thank you for your help.

panchopantera said:
I used to live in LA and temporarilyoutside the country, where DTV reception is still good. I kept my LA subscription and installed the equipment in my new home. I´m able to watch every channel, except local LA channles in the LA spotbeam.
I´m thinking about upgrading to HD, but I´m not sure about what to expect in terms of the channels I can recieve.. are most/some HD locals transmited through a spotbeam? I read some are recieved OTA, which of course I cannot recieve...
Can someone please help me understand what channels will I be able to watch?
Thank you for your help.

I have the same situation. As long as you leave your subscription in the LA area you can get the 4 network locals in HD from 3 satellites. You cannot currently get any more, although it would be nice if that would change when the MPEG4 satellites are activated.

So this means that the only channles that I will be able to watch in HD are the 3 locals?.. this means no HBO HD, Discovery HD, etc?

Thanks..

panchopantera, to get more HD channels, you need --- more dishes! If you currently have only one dish installed, you are looking at the 101 satellite. There is only one LA HD network on that satellite, CBS.

On the 119 satellite, you have the other 3 HD networks, plus Discovery and ESPN HD.

On the 110 satellite, there are a few more HD channels, like HBO, Showtime, HDNet, and others.

To be able to receive all three satellites, you will need 3 separate dishes (if you are south of the border, that is), a special 2-satellite 22khz multiswitch, and a SatC integration kit.

If you are close enough to the US (either north or south) that you don't need a larger dish, the PhaseIII dish will get all 3 satellites, avoiding the 3-dish hassle.

Thanks.. I'm close enough to the border so that a standard 18" dish gets me 80% strenght signal, so I guess the 3-LNB multi-sat antenna will do.
So for what I see most of the HD channels are NOT delivered via a spotbeam and I will be able to anjoy most of the HD content.. right?
Thanks again

Correct... at least for now you won't be even missing any local HD channels as the LA HD Big 4 locals are all on a national beam.

Status
Please reply by conversation.