HD Picture Quality from the Major Networks. Which network and/or show is the best?

joep

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
I wanted to throw this out to see if there is one clear winner.

My vote goes to CBS as the most consistent network in delivering the best HD picture. As for the show with the best HD pic quality, my vote goes to the original CSI.

I'm not sure who the Best, I would not disagree with ranking CBS as high, but I can definately say that in S Florida ABC is the Worst. The playoff Games have been spotty reverting back to SD Freezing then back to HD. and the the Sound dropsout quite a bit.

Also perhaps it was their copy but the Sound of Music that was on recently looked and Sounded horrible. (lots of tweaking required on my audio to get rid of all the noise and hiss).

joep said:
I wanted to throw this out to see if there is one clear winner.

My vote goes to CBS as the most consistent network in delivering the best HD picture. As for the show with the best HD pic quality, my vote goes to the original CSI.

CSI is probably my pick as well... it's always pretty stunning.

The West Wing looks quite beautiful as well. On SD, it's always very dark and murky and sometimes difficult to watch, but in HD things really come to life and you see the beautiful camera work and lighting.

I find CBS show 'dark' though still very attractive. ABC's lost has been very pleaseing but my big suprise this years has been UPN's Star Trek. The switiched from 35mm film to HD video this years and it looks beautiful.

When Deadwood was on HBO last spring the PQ was great. Yep, enjoy The West Wing with its new look in HD and Desperate Housewives is consistently "colorful". Not sure about a consistent network as PQ seems to vary from program to program. However, since we're not regular CSI viewers maybe we're missing out on CBS quality.

Yes, the sound (which you'd think ABC would have made sure to get right on this movie) on The Sound of Music was bad. For half the movie the voices were either centered or hard left or hard right with no inbetween which I've never encountered on any program or DVD before.

Yep, still watching HDTV under clear Seattle skies, Gill

Clearly CBS. CSI, Cold Case, 2 1/2 men, Football.
Next:
NBC: Las Vegas.
Then:
PBS when it works right.
Then:
ABC: Lost, Alias. I don't count any 720p football as being good, as all of them have "crawling grass" syndrome, though the closeups are awesome.

Heads above all but CBS if you want to add Satellite: HDNET off Dish Network.

DarrellP, since you have a native 720P projector ( my Sony projector is native 720P also ) do you change the res. coming out of your STB to 720P when you watch Alias, Lost ( shown at 720P ), I found it made a big difference then running it at 1080i all the time, I now switch depending on the show ( say CSI-1080i, Alias-720P ) .

That's what I do. I always feed the native out of the box and let my TV do any conversions needed.

I used to run my Voom stb in Auto and have it switch to whatever resolution the program was, but I found that leaving it in 1080i results in a better overall picture. I realize there is a double conversion going on, but it still looks awesome and if there is a slight increase in PQ if set to 720p, it's not worth the hassle of switching modes.

bruce said:
DarrellP, since you have a native 720P projector ( my Sony projector is native 720P also ) do you change the res. coming out of your STB to 720P when you watch Alias, Lost ( shown at 720P ), I found it made a big difference then running it at 1080i all the time, I now switch depending on the show ( say CSI-1080i, Alias-720P ) .

How can you tell if a program is 720P or 1080i?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)