Your bill is in the mail / Picture Quality

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
Whmmmm, Got my VOOM bill for April in the mail today. It's due the 10th, I think I'll wait until the 1st to pay it, how about you?

A lot of people have been complaining about picture quality the last few weeks and although I have brought this up recently, most people ignored it and I'm really suprised that the GREAT GUYS who host this forum have not remembered this and posted a thread.

I believe that most of your problems are directly related to the Spring Equinox and it's effects on our satellites. Several studies have been done on the effects on our Satellites during the Spring and Fall equinoxes Here's one from the Satellite Times back in 1998 http://celestrak.com/columns/v04n09/

Most of us from back in the C-Band days remember this well. Usually our pictures got real snowy or looked scrambled. But were dealing with DIGITAL SIGNALS and remember, either you have them or you don't, bet this goes away in a few weeks and everyone will be posting " YEAH, THEIR DONE TWEAKING" but not really.

Only other thing I can say is that I have FOUR receivers and the only thing I complain about is TNTHD, but you all already know about that.

Maybe I'll pay my bill early because VOOM will survive :D :D :D and remember, this PQ issue will come up again this fall.

I love my VOOM

You are kidding right?

ptech said:
Whmmmm, Got my VOOM bill for April in the mail today. It's due the 10th, I think I'll wait until the 1st to pay it, how about you?

I already paid mine..... So if VOOM folds you are going to shaft them by not paying your bill???????????

LunkHead said:
I already paid mine..... So if VOOM folds you are going to shaft them by not paying your bill???????????

Hmmmm, Did I say that or can't you read? Besides, I pay in advance for services not yet received. So what your telling me is if VOOM goes belly up your going to keep paying them? You can be my customer :)

Well i hardly ever post, but stupidity always fires me up

The equinox affects the dish ONLY for a 5 to 15 minute time frame when the sun is directly in line with the satellite that the dish is pointed at, and since the sun puts out much more microwave radiation than the satellite in question, starts by fuzzing it and as the sun moves into position totally overrides the signal, and then as it continues to move goes back to bein fuzzy, then the problem is all gone

Anyway this phenomenon lasts only for 5 to 15 minutes each day when ther sun is directly over the equator where the satellites also are

So it is NOT the problem with the PQ lately, the picture was pretty good (but still not perfect), they changed to the new encoders and immediately it was BAD BAD BAD.

This bein said I am still a loyal Voomer, and always will be. I have had Voom since the very beginning, and have faith they will get thier heads out of thier asses. But for right now I think they are focused more on just surviving

JaydeeD said:
Well i hardly ever post, but stupidity always fires me up

Damn, I don't even know where to start but that's what I really like about forums. There's always a couple of people who think they are Smarter than the rest. Even when someone is only offering a possible answer they step up and dump all their BS on everyone else. That's ok French Fry man, I'll forgive you for your stupidity and arrogance and if your not the potato cutter but the owner, thanks, your fries taste great.

JaydeeD said:
The equinox affects the dish ONLY for a 5 to 15 minute time frame when the sun is directly in line with the satellite that the dish is pointed at, and since the sun puts out much more microwave radiation than the satellite in question, starts by fuzzing it and as the sun moves into position totally overrides the signal, and then as it continues to move goes back to bein fuzzy, then the problem is all gone

Check your stats, this can effect satellite reception for over an hour and it's actually spelled "being" not bein, thought it was a typo but you used it several times. Thank god for spell check

JaydeeD said:
So it is NOT the problem with the PQ lately, the picture was pretty good (but still not perfect), they changed to the new encoders and immediately it was BAD BAD BAD.

But what about those of us not having any problems what so ever? We have the same equipment as you do so with your stunning brilliance, answer that.

JaydeeD said:
This bein said I am still a loyal Voomer, and always will be. I have had Voom since the very beginning, and have faith they will get thier heads out of thier asses. But for right now I think they are focused more on just surviving

Now finally we agree on something, VOOM is trying to survive and
i hope they do.

Just for the record, I know how to spell "being" but I type the way I talk, and I pronounce it "bee-in" so thats the way I type it. Its a common way to convey informality, as I am sure you know

Don't know what TV you got, I have a 36" CRT which shows every flaw
Also way on the west coast so possibly more affected by any change in signal quality

You are correct, Sun fade can last for up to an hour depending on size of dish, I have never seen it on Voom, although it has to happen, I probably have never been watching at the right time, However having been a C-Band Dealer and owner for over 10 years, the average outage I experienced on C-band was about 15 minutes, so that is what I quoted, however I can see smaller dishes having a longer interval

Anyway, no harm, no foul, was just trying (almost typed tryin....LOL......cause thats the way I say it, but don't wanna offend you) to set the record straight that the new PQ problems are not Equinox related

There have been maybe 2 people that said everything is still hunky-dory with thier PQ, and actually it does appear better to me today, but many more people that can see the exact thing I am seein(g) (I must hate G's...LOL)

I see pixelization on fast movement worse than before, I see strange streaking mostly on scene transitions, and a wierd thing I can't even describe on scene fades, kinda like the pixels can't decide what to be, so they get all fuzzy and start dancin(g). They must be feeding the Voom pixels some good drugs maybe?

Thats it for now

I see it now, if I would have just looked at your siggy, I would know what TV you got, anyway pretty big TV, no reason for you not to see what everyone else is seein(g)

But what about those of us not having any problems what so ever? We have the same equipment as you do
All I can say is either I want YOUR TV or you can keep YOUR EYES! Apparently you don't watch any SD channels? Maybe you have lazy eye and can't catch all the garbage that shows up during fast movement or scene changes on HD????

Come over to my house, I'll show you how crappy Voom looks.

DarrellP said:
All I can say is either I want YOUR TV or you can keep YOUR EYES! Apparently you don't watch any SD channels? Maybe you have lazy eye and can't catch all the garbage that shows up during fast movement or scene changes on HD????

Come over to my house, I'll show you how crappy Voom looks.

No, you come over to my house, my picture is better. Fortunately 4 out of 5 of us have great vision and we watch way to much TV but's that's what we spoiled ourselves with. Trust me, seeing all the complaints from members, I've spent more time looking for problems but only once did I have a pixel problem on TNTHD.

If VOOM succeeds and gives us all the HD we want, we might never leave home again, ;)

I feel honored conversing with the Famous DarrellP :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)