HD PVR800 FEATURE DVB-S2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm still waiting to see if dvbworld posts any pictures proving blind-scan or 4:2:2, but his sudden silence isn't a good sign.

To be fair, dvbworld and I have been corresponding in the past few hours about the 4:2:2 sample I would like them to try. I put it up on my web server, but there seems to be some problem in downloading it. I'm guessing, but their service provider/government may be blocking it. Their preference would have been ftp, but I burned my ftp server to the ground years ago and would rather not resurrect that capability.

And they don't have an agent in a non-fascist country that can try it? If Sadoun is expecting to have the receivers in two weeks, there ought to be some outside the factory somewhere by now. Like I said, evaluation copies would've been nice!

I don't think its a matter of simply trying if it works, but rather they may need samples to develop such features currently unavailable, and they need some time to do this, provided the STB hardware is adequate for these tasks.

If someone is interested to provide them with file samples, it may be done by uploading to a fast free File Sharing Server, including fast Public FTP Servers with limited free accounts. Of course, a Chinese server would be the best located, except China closes down more video sharing websites.

In a longer run Sadoun's staff may want to mail DVB World a few DVDs with a collection of suitable local file samples to ensure they're equipped to gradually refine their product to NA requirements. We also worded what extra hardware features would be desirable, but that will also require some time to develop a new STB hardware revision or upgrade version. Its fare to say, DVB World likes to make hardware and software mods fast unlike most other STB vendors, probably due to their PC Card related experience.

Attachments

• DriveHQ FTP Server.jpg
    DriveHQ FTP Server.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The shenzhen agent told me he wouldn't get any units from the factory until at least Jan 15.
I agree with Pendragon, cut these guys some slack, I worked with Peter(support dvbworld) when the 2104 and 2004 came to market, he was very responsive to e-mails and refined his drivers and application until most of the wrinkles were smoothed out, that is a lot more than I could say for other card manufacturers....and I've tried most of them.
Saying a product has certain features when it really doesn't would be stupid business practice(Azbox comes to mind), I suspect if blind scan doesn't work with this box its because the Dvbworld people don't understand what we specifically mean by "blind scan", after all, we are a small rag-tag bunch here that covets blind scan and the rest of the world hasn't a clue what we are talking about.
Without blind scan the receiver won't be useful to me but for the price it should be attractive to people looking for an HD receiver with PVR capabilities.

To be fair, dvbworld and I have been corresponding in the past few hours about the 4:2:2 sample I would like them to try. I put it up on my web server, but there seems to be some problem in downloading it. I'm guessing, but their service provider/government may be blocking it. Their preference would have been ftp, but I burned my ftp server to the ground years ago and would rather not resurrect that capability.

Let me know by PM where the sample is for download, and I will FTP it to them.

I agree with Pendragon, cut these guys some slack, I worked with Peter(support dvbworld) when the 2104 and 2004 came to market, he was very responsive to e-mails and refined his drivers and application until most of the wrinkles were smoothed out, that is a lot more than I could say for other card manufacturers....and I've tried most of them.

I agree with that. DVBWorld seems to be responsive to feedback and suggestions. I hope they will understand the needs of the NA market and act upon it.

New units (limited quantity) will be here by the 25th and will be shipping these out to pre-order customers.

The shenzhen agent told me he wouldn't get any units from the factory until at least Jan 15.
Saying a product has certain features when it really doesn't would be stupid business practice(Azbox comes to mind), I suspect if blind scan doesn't work with this box its because the Dvbworld people don't understand what we specifically mean by "blind scan", after all, we are a small rag-tag bunch here that covets blind scan and the rest of the world hasn't a clue what we are talking about.
Without blind scan the receiver won't be useful to me but for the price it should be attractive to people looking for an HD receiver with PVR capabilities.

thank u mention about Blind scan question. in fact, techonlogy cann`t say fairy tale, so pls believe DVBWorld company, our HD STB support reality blindscan. maybe our chinese people comprehend Auto Scan just like ur comprehend Blindscan. it is the same means.

I think of it this way...

An Auto Scan will find channels on pre-programmed transponders.

A Blind Scan will find the transponders on a pre-programmed satellite, then find the channels on the transponders it just found.

There is a big difference between Auto Scan and Blind Scan.

Anyone would be willing to upload to a Public or Sadoun's FTP Server a High Bit Rate TS file sample, so that DVB World can refine its STB's PVR function to record and play high bit rate files smoothly? There were many issues reported with high bit rate feeds recording and playback using more powerful Linux multimedia STB AZBox.

Attachments

• High Bit Rate Reception 1.jpg
    High Bit Rate Reception 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I think of it this way...

An Auto Scan will find channels on pre-programmed transponders.

A Blind Scan will find the transponders on a pre-programmed satellite, then find the channels on the transponders it just found.

There is a big difference between Auto Scan and Blind Scan.

exactly...auto scan doesnt do anything for us her in North America. Blind scan is what is preferred :)

maybe our chinese people comprehend Auto Scan just like ur comprehend Blindscan. it is the same means.

probably not. I have plenty of receiver made in China that have blind scan listed as options (Coolsat comes to mind) ;)

Its not a "oh we call it this you call it that" scenerio. It clearly states on the menu
AUTO SCAN which scans the existing transponders in the reciever
BLIND SCAN (Pansat calls it smart scan...fortec calls it power scan) but its the same thing. It finds the new frequencies for sports feeds, news feeds, new channels etc

DVBWorld, could you please give us a video showing this receiver scanning? Or at least pictures of ALL of the menus and screens?

The way Dvbworld has explained it to me( I hope he doesn't mind me saying this here) is that the box will come to me with European sats loaded, I will have to enter a NA sat, the orbital location, point the dish to that sat and blind scan it and it will find all the s/s2/data transponders on that satellite and write them to the stb tps list.....that sounds like blind scan to me.
We will find out soon.

that makes no sense whatsoever. Regardless of satellite name you can still blind scan if the receiver supports it.

I can aim my dish at 105W and on the menu bring up Telstar 6 in the list and blind scan...Telstar 6 went through...what 4 different names?
T6
IA6
G26
G25

blind scan will work on any sat in the list as long as the LNB parameters are right

until I see PROOF like screen shots (like I did on the review of the Pansat 3500 years ago) I don't believe there is blind scan on it. Call me harsh or whatever name folks want to call me, but I along with others here have been duked in the past into buying receivers that CLAIM something....only to not have that option available or a piss poor version of it (can you hear me now Captiveworks???)

Attachments

• 3500 06.JPG
    3500 06.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 3500 07.JPG
    3500 07.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 3500 08.JPG
    3500 08.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 162
that makes no sense whatsoever. Regardless of satellite name you can still blind scan if the receiver supports it.

I can aim my dish at 105W and on the menu bring up Telstar 6 in the list and blind scan...Telstar 6 went through...what 4 different names?
T6
IA6
G26
G25

blind scan will work on any sat in the list as long as the LNB parameters are right

until I see PROOF like screen shots (like I did on the review of the Pansat 3500 years ago) I don't believe there is blind scan on it. Call me harsh or whatever name folks want to call me, but I along with others here have been duked in the past into buying receivers that CLAIM something....only to not have that option available or a piss poor version of it (can you hear me now Captiveworks???)
Thanks Ice! I could'nt have stated it clearer that this!:)

BTW, can we get a "Thank you" button added to this site?

Ok, let's wait and see how blind search work with this receiver. If what DVBWorld is calling Auto Scan is actually our version of "BLIND SCAN", then that is fine.

DVBWorld has been supportive of this hobby and I think they will stand by the product and improve upon it. Our feedback and suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a few units arriving in a few days. Some of you have already pre ordered. We will get these out to you as soon as we get them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)