HD READY TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hdmitch22

Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
HD BUILT-IN TVs

Does anyone have a HD Built-in TV?

These newer model TVs have the receiver
built into the television. (no need for the $500
HD rec'r)

Does anyone have information to add to this topic?

I am going to buy a HD television and add Voom
and wish to know more...

THANKS

The Voom STB comes with an integrated 8VSB cartridge--why pay extra for an HD-ready? All you need with Voom is the monitor.

Don't waste your money on a built in tuner. I believe cnet.com has some good reviews on all types of HDTVs. A few weeks ago Sean posted a link to an article ranking the top 10 RPTVs. You might try searching for that. First things first, you have to figure out how big you want to go, and how much you want to spend.

I agree, don't waste your money with a built-in tuner. All provider's will require you to use their own equipment.

hdmitch22 said:
Does anyone have a HD Built-in TV?

These newer model TVs have the receiver
built into the television. (no need for the $500
HD rec'r)

Does anyone have information to add to this topic?

I am going to buy a HD television and add Voom
and wish to know more...

THANKS
I wouldnt buy one with a tuner in it. Its an OTA tuner. D* and V* have OTA tuners in their boxes already. The only need for it would be with cable. WHo typically doesnt have an OTA tuner in their box and usually doesnt give you digitalor HD locals.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind having the tuner in addition to my 921 - That way I could still flip on the news if the 921 OTA is recording (or give me something to watch while the 921 is rebooting).

(less critical for HD-Tivo since it has two OTA tuners, but the same still applies).

Worse. The time is rapidly approaching where you won't have any choice but to buy an integrated tuner. We are being "protected" by our Federal government, you know. And, since someone decided that Joe Sixpack will only be happy when he can screw his coax straight into the tv, just like he does with cable, it is being mandated - come July 1, I believe. I've got my eye on the new Sammy Tantus models that are to be released in Sept/Oct. Official word won't come until closer to the end of this month, but the best current info is that all of those models will have an integrated tuner.

As of July 1, 2004, 50% of all HD sets 36" and larger must have an integrated tuner. I would compare the integrated set you wish to purchase along with the same set without a tuner and see what they are soaking you for it. You can pickup an OTA only tuner for less than $300 if you search hard enough. Check out the local stores, lots of times they have open box items for $100.

My new Zenith a purchased a few weeks ago has a built in tuner and I love it, not only does it tune in OTA locals, but it also tunes into unscrambled QAM on my Cable, and I get a bunch of Digital Cable channels as well as all the HD Networks. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
My new Zenith a purchased a few weeks ago has a built in tuner and I love it, not only does it tune in OTA locals, but it also tunes into unscrambled QAM on my Cable, and I get a bunch of Digital Cable channels as well as all the HD Networks. :)

I do believe a few cableco's are sending the HD Locals "in the clear." Not sure if they're QAM or 8VSB in most systems, though. For the other non-locals, some are encrypted like the premiums.

Ridiculous. These tuners are going to inflate the HDTV set price higher than it has to be and slow down sales. You simply do not need one unless you have cable. The law should be to make cable boxes contain OTA tuners!!!

What the government is doing is outlawing HD monitors!!!

Some of the current sets that comes with a turner, they hit you for $700 dollars extra for a set. However, prices should drop if more manufacturer starts including them.

Not that it would be worth the price of a built in tuner, but do you have to have a built in tuner to play Xbox games that will display at 720p or 1080i, else get 480p? (I think you do)

No. The tuner has nothing to do with video games. As long as your TV supports those resolutions through a component video jack, you're OK.

Sorry guys, but I dissagree. I've got an internal tuner, and I like having it. Doesn't matter what cable does, or sat does, I can still get OTA. And for my locals, it's the ONLY way I can get them. Charter doesn't even carry the network feeds for ABC and CBS.
As for cost, I got mine as part of an upgrade from Toshiba. $599 took me from a 2yr old 57H82 TheaterWide set to a 57HX93 Cinema Series with built in tuner. Sometimes the specs are decieving. For example, there is a common belief that the only diff between a 57HX83 and a 57HX93 is the tuner, when in fact the HX93 has a different lense system entirely. So at first glance, the difference in cost between the two sets would appear to be just the tuner, but it's more than that.
And my OTA locals don't cost me a dime. Just put up the UHF antenna and enjoy great HD programming.

Lob

Lobstah said:
Sorry guys, but I dissagree. I've got an internal tuner, and I like having it. Doesn't matter what cable does, or sat does, I can still get OTA. And for my locals, it's the ONLY way I can get them. Charter doesn't even carry the network feeds for ABC and CBS.
As for cost, I got mine as part of an upgrade from Toshiba. $599 took me from a 2yr old 57H82 TheaterWide set to a 57HX93 Cinema Series with built in tuner. Sometimes the specs are decieving. For example, there is a common belief that the only diff between a 57HX83 and a 57HX93 is the tuner, when in fact the HX93 has a different lense system entirely. So at first glance, the difference in cost between the two sets would appear to be just the tuner, but it's more than that.
And my OTA locals don't cost me a dime. Just put up the UHF antenna and enjoy great HD programming.

Lob

OK. Explain to me what I'm missing here. I have to have the Voom stb or no Voom. I can (and do) receive my locals through the Voom box. With the upgrade this month, I should (hope) be able to scan in any available local. I'm planning on buying a new Sammy when they are released. Word is, although unconfirmed, that it will cost me $500 more because it has an integrated tuner. What am I getting for that $500 that I don't already have? Yes, I would still be able to get locals if someone took my stb away. I'd rather take the risk and not fork over another $500 for something I probably won't ever have to use. I don't disagree with manufacturers providing the integrated tuner as an option. But, that's what it should be - an option.

Extra $500

From what I have seen, the built-in rec'rs cost
an extra $500. I was told that the voom rec'r
is all that you need (so save the $ and go with
the HD Ready TVs).

Does Voom provide locals for everyone? If not,
then the built in rec'r is the way to go - right.

What about HDTVs? How do the Locals only (OTA)
compare to the locals on Voom?

On some HDTVs, the vert. lines are a pain to watch.
Which TV is the best with the built-in rec'r?
(If you have one)

THANKS AGAIN for the info.

Lobstah said:

Lob

Yep. Spend about 700.00 extra for the tuner and pick-up around 4-6 OTA stations that broadcast in HD about 1/4 of the time (if that).

Wait, that is rediculous. How about getting an OTA tuner FOR FREE with your STB for whatever service you are subscribing? That seems MUCH more cost-effective (unless you're only going to watch OTA for the life of the set).

OTA Tuner? Bahh. I'll take my 9" 3M guns over a damn integrated 8VSB tuner ANYDAY. I have my tuner in my Voom IRD at no additional cost.

First, you don't get an OTA tuner "free with your STB"with every provider out there. It varies greatly depending on who you're trying to do business with. Any idea how many people COULDN'T watch the SuperBowl because they didn't have a tuner? You think a cable company is going to give you an OTA tuner in their boxes?

Yes, it should be an option. And yes, I'm glad I have mine, period. And the 1/4 of the time they broadcast in HD?...that just happens to be the time that I like to watch them, PRIMEtime.

"From what I have seen, the built-in rec'rs cost
an extra $500. I was told that the voom rec'r
is all that you need (so save the $ and go with
the HD Ready TVs)."

And what if you can't get VOOM? Oh...sign up with another sat service that DOES provide locals? And if you can't get those?...or they want $399 for an installation? Oh wait...I have to BUY the sat box? AND give a commitment of 1 or 2 YEARS?

People are actually buying up used DCT-100's, JUST for the OTA tuner.

Nope...sorry. You'll not convince me on this one. I've got it, and I'm glad.

Lob

Before HD came around all TV's had an integrated OTA tuner as well as a cable tuner. Maybe it was a mistake for manufacturers to even offer TV's without a tuner. Doesn't that actually increase manufacturing costs if they have to essentially make two versions of the same TV. Eventually all HDTV's will have integrated tuners, which may actually help to reduce costs. As far as OTA with the TV's tuner compared to the STB (regardless of brand) goes, the two pick up the same broadcast in the same format in the same PQ and SQ. The only differences between the two will be the way they "map" the channels, how well they lock onto "fringe" channels, and any PG info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts