HD receiver advice

Dishpointer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Kansas
Well I am going to take the leep to HD in January. I have a DPP 44 switch and am viewing programming off of the 105, 119, 100, and 61.5 satellites. I am going to get a HD tv next month or in January. My question is what receiver should I get? I think I read that the 811 will be discontinued next month and I don't want to shell out $250 to lease the 942 at this stage in the MPEG 4 game. I know Dish is starting to give out the 211/411 boxes to new customers so what would you do if you were me? All opinions are welcomed. I can receive all OTA networks so this is a good thing.

Thanks

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* yellow - uhf WRDW-DT 12.1 CBS AUGUSTA GA 88° 10.3 31
* yellow - uhf WAGT-DT 30.1 NBC AUGUSTA GA 90° 10.7 30
* green - uhf WJBF-DT 42.1 ABC AUGUSTA GA 90° 10.7 42
* green - uhf WFXG-DT 54.1 FOX AUGUSTA GA 86° 10.8 51
* red - vhf WCES-DT 2 PBS WRENS GA 07-08 245° 17.9 2

HD receiver

The 942 is the best, do not compare any of the other receivers to this model. The only reason to pick the other is if all you want is HD with a 2 day guide and no DVR ability or second tuner output!

Dish has been leasing the 811 for $99 (let's call it $100). They have not yet announced pricing on the 211/411 for existing subs.

If its $100 for a 211 or $250 for a 942, I think most of us would be happier with the 942.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will wait until I get a HD tv then see what Dish is offering at the time. I do like the 942 but don't want to get stuck shelling out $250 if their plans change.

I figured Simon would have to give his $.02 :D I was going off of the last Chat we had. It was stated that new customers would be getting these receivers and the 811's were going away. I am getting the 942 unless things change in January.

SimpleSimon said:
You didn't miss anything - those boxes are not released as of today.

No clue what Dishpointer's been smokin' ;) :D

Dishpointer said:
I figured Simon would have to give his $.02 :D I was going off of the last Chat we had. It was stated that new customers would be getting these receivers and the 811's were going away. I am getting the 942 unless things change in January.
Key phrase: "would be"

That means sometime between next decade and never. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)