hd receiver question

ruxpin810

Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
i currently have time warner in the los angeles area and i wanted to get another hd receiver for our bedroom. i called time warner and they said that i needed to make an appointment for someone to come in and install it. i told them that my house is prewired and that i can get basic cable so they don't need to come in to install anything but they said that it's their policy and it would cost $20 just for someone to come in. and then they're gonna charge me $12 a month for the service. i was wondering if i can just buy another receiver somewhere and install it myself. i found a few on sale on ebay but i'm afraid it might not work so i just wanted to make sure. anyone else try this? thanks.

I dunno...here in Buffalo NY you can just drive to their office and pick one up.

Tell them you're not paying for a service call and you want a new receiver.

Buying your receiver won't work in most cases.

Do not know if buying one would work. Doubt it though. But here in Raleigh,NC we cannot swap out for a HD box either. We have to place a call for someone to come out. I have yet to ever be charged for it though.

Wow...that's kinda strange.

Seems to me they'd save more money by not sending a tech out. Here they'll charge to send someone out, but you can pick anything up for free. DVR's, receivers, modems, anything.

Anyway, if they want to charge you, tell them "Dish Network (or DirecTV for that matter) will give me a free install for 2 HDTV's and [however many] regular TV's." Doesn't matter if they can or you're even thinking about it, when the cable company hears that they usually are pretty willing to comply.

Best way to get a problem fixed is to threaten switching to satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)